The Student Room Group

Feel shafted for the rest of my life. Rant

Beginning university in 2024, and my options are mid level universities, I feel as if everything went wrong, and everything could have been much better.

I don’t want to appear as a snob or superior or any bs like that. I consider myself a good student. All A’s in my GCSE’s and I’m predicted AA for my A levels (3rd year). I consider myself hardworking and I always expected to go to a Russel Uni for Law. (Bristol, Oxford, something like that)

My issue - I got a D for one of my A-levels. A subject not relevant to Law, but I got a grade D. I put work into it, but my teachers style of teaching was abysmal, and she was ill for half the year during the most important stage of the course work. No help, no support, the ‘teachers’ covering the lesson weren’t even relevant to the subject. When she came back, she didn’t really even give a ****. I think she knew maybe 5 people in the class were doing good and just focused on them, she wouldn’t respond to my emails, gave me false promises of getting a higher grade etc.

So now, everything's ****ed. I’m frustrated, understandably so. I know I had potential, I even envision myself sometimes that everything was different and I got accepted into these big top universities like I was supposed to.

I know she can’t control illness or not find fault in her teaching style; but that’s not my problem, and now I’m ****ed as a result?

Of course, no one really cares about excuses, that I know. It’s the simple ‘oh that’s unfortunate’, but at the end of the day all they care about the grade.

I get mad knowing that I’m completely ****ed because of this issue that was not in my control. I didn’t willingly **** up and not put in the effort; but because of some external issue, I get the full brunt.

It’s like all those years studying was for nothing.
Over 6 months before exams and you’re giving up and resigning yourself to a D?
Reply 2
You still have lots of options available to you:

Go to a mid tier university for a degree in law (like you said - this should be fine for being a normal solicitor)

Go to the best university you can get into, doing a different degree. Maybe a combined degree with lower entry requirements. Aim for a first class degree, then do a law conversion course afterwards.

Try and get an apprenticeship or work experience in law. Then later on, you could either resit your A level, or do an Access course, and go to university.

Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Over 6 months before exams and you’re giving up and resigning yourself to a D?

No I’ve already gotten the Grade D as my A-Level.

I’m a third year that kept one of my subjects (regretfully, and changed my other two)
I was doing maths, physics and photography in my first year, dropped the first two and kept the last, got my result in the 2023 results day.

Right now, I’m doing

History (Second year)
Law (Second year)

Photography (Grade D)
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by emmaltunis
You still have lots of options available to you:

Go to a mid tier university for a degree in law (like you said - this should be fine for being a normal solicitor)

Go to the best university you can get into, doing a different degree. Maybe a combined degree with lower entry requirements. Aim for a first class degree, then do a law conversion course afterwards.

Try and get an apprenticeship or work experience in law. Then later on, you could either resit your A level, or do an Access course, and go to university.

It’ll likely be the first option you stated. It’s just that I know in the back of my mind while I’m there, I’ll think it could have been different (arrogant I know)
Original post by rjdjsbs
No I’ve already gotten the Grade D as my A-Level.

I’m a third year that kept one of my subjects (regretfully, and changed my other two)
I was doing maths, physics and photography in my first year, dropped the first two and kept the last, got my result in the 2023 results day.

Right now, I’m doing

History (Second year)
Law (Second year)

Photography (Grade D)

So resit the photography A level and improve on the D?

Quick Reply

Latest