The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

mammamia:0
Okay so I'm sort of in the process of trying to give myself a "makeover" in time for year 13 and considering my 18th birthday is only 6 weeks away, I think it's about time that I started wearing makeup!
I have quite red and dry skin so ideally i'd like makeup that could cover the redness without agrivating the dryness!
I'm a complete beginner and pretty clueless so I will need a lot of help sorry!

for the dry skin, use coco butter, you can get it from any supermarket, or even the poundshop, no need to buy expensive stuff, trust me.
put it on morning and night (you only need a little bit for your whole face)

for the redness use some foundation (mousse stuff is better) get one that matches your skin type, ask a makeup consultant person.

for eye a bit of mascara will probs do.

just that will do you for now, untill you feel more confident with trying eye shadows, and then even eyeliner!!

good luck with it all [=
Maybe start off with quite a natural look?

I recommend tinted moisturiser - better for your skin than foundation, less likely to go orange than foundation, easier to apply than foundation, and gives you a nice, natural looking colour. I'd go for one that has SPF 15 as well - the body shop one is pretty good and won't break the bank. Then a stick of concealer, to cover spots and bags under the eyes. Try a few different types to see what suits your skin tone.

Buy a mascara (black or brown, depending on your colouring) and an eyeliner or two - eyeliner is hard to apply at first, but it quickly becomes easier. I wouldn't go for liquid first time, I still find it difficult to use. Coloured eyeliner can look really nice - maybe a blue one? Urban Decay does a really nice range.

Try watching youtube make up tutorials on eyeshadow. It'll give you ideas, and show you the basics. Buy a set of 5-8 colours - enough to experiment, find what suits you, and is cheaper than buying them separately. I'd recommend buying from a half decent brand - Number 7, Urban Decay and Revlon all do nice sets.

For going out, a few glittery eyeliners are quick and easy. I love the Urban Decay ones, but Barry M is good too - it's also a lot cheaper and has a great range.

Just experiment :smile: And AVOID doing everything the video in my signature tells you to do.
If you have a steady hand, applying a very thin line of liquid eyeliner to your top lid and flicking it out at the end looks nice. You could do a thicker line to the same effect but if you're not used to wearing make up it might look weird.
cocacolagurl1
makeup is great, transformed my life ...
the makeup product i cant live without is eyeliner, my eyes are horrible without it...though foundation blusher and massacre are also great...just do everything but dont forget the black liquid liner!

:zomg: :teehee: .
Reply 24
If I could go back to the day that i started wearing makeup, I'd throw my thick foundation in the bloody bin!

Get a tined moisteriser! Pick some pretty eyeshadows you like the colour of and a little mascara to start with.
Experiment with eyeliner, bolder colours, blusher and bronzer when you feel a bit more confident!
Sorry if this sin't helpful advice but don't start wearing makeup espcially a full face of makeup since most women that start wearing makeup frequently espcially at a young age have really ugly and bad looking skin when their older. I suggest you try and look after your body from the inside out to help you look beautiful for longer.
Don't start. :smile:
your face? LOL..nah im kidding..dont..im guessing you look great without it so dont start wearing it tbh or your face might end up looking orange
Get a sensitive skin moisturiser before you do anything else. With foundations it might be a bit of trial and error to find one that's the right colour, consistency and doesn't irritate your skin. I'd say start off with light makeup if your skin is bad and gradually build up until you get a feel of how much you can take. For your birthday you might want to go to somewhere like MAC for someone to do it professionally for you
Reply 30
Nothing too harsh. Use a bit of foundation to make that flawless face look, eyeliner + mascara, (no eyeshadows), some blushes and some rosy nude lipstick and you're ready to go. If you want to have a sophisticated look better go for a makeup stylist, otherwise you might scary your friends :biggrin:
Reply 31
cocacolagurl1
makeup is great, transformed my life ...
the makeup product i cant live without is eyeliner, my eyes are horrible without it...though foundation blusher and massacre are also great...just do everything but dont forget the black liquid liner!

Hahahahahaha! :rofl:
Just start with a little liquid foundation which should stop dry skin and cover any redness. Don't apply yoo much and make sure it's the right shade for your face.
Some mascara maybe, and an eyeliner pencil for a little definition.
You don't want to overdo it, just find a look which doesn't make you uncomfortable. You need to be able to leave the house thinking 'i look good today' rather than 'does my makeup look good today'
Reply 33
asdalol
OP I hear sperm is good for the skin :sexface:

Probo shouldnt say this but you're not wrong..
Reply 34
go to a depart ment store and go to one of the beauty counters... they'll almost definitely pounce on you at the first chance.

For red skin maybe benefits you're bluffing? It's what i use (when i can be bothered) to try to tone down my stupidly red cheeks
Reply 35
Hanz_a93
**** makeup your better off without it tbh
Eyeliner is fiiiiine tho :yep:

Man, you would not say that if you'd seen most girls without make-up.

OP: It's a common misconception that make-up should be visible, like bright eyeshadows and lipsticks, and people saying "lots of eyeliner". But the sign of good make-up is that you don't know it's there, it just makes the girl look prettier.
As advised by others, go to a make-up store like MAC or Chanel Cosmetics and get a make-over.
I'd say the key pieces for a make-up bag would be:
- concealer
- foundation (apply toner and/or moisturizer first if you say your skin is dry?)
- something like "Lemon-Aid" by Benefit, which cancels out redness on the face (I think you mentioned that's an issue?)

Then it depends what you need to look better, if you have a round face/facial features, I'd recommend:
- a contouring kit (just a compressed powder a bit darker than your skin and a contour brush)
- mascara/eyelash curler
- VERY subtle eyeshadows (although they aren't really necessary)
- bronzer and/or blusher

That would be a good start, imo. But ask the make-up artists at a mac store (I wouldn't even go to a counter, go to an actual store) which colours/products they recommend.

And check out Bubzbeauty, Panacea and, my personal favourite, Pixiwoo on Youtube for tutorials and advice.
Reply 36
Go to a MAC counter, or preferably another high end one if you don't want to look like an orange :erm: they're all orange at the Canterbury one.

but whatever you do,

do. not. buy. cheap.

And when buying foundation, never test it on your hand. Put a bit on your jawline and then go outside. See what it looks like after about 10 minutes (after it's had chance to oxidise if it will), then buy it if it matches your face and neck.
Reply 37
Forget foundation. I'd go for mascara. Simple is better especially if you have never put any on before.
Reply 38
Depends what you look like. I always wear eyeliner and mascara. Concealer usually too. That's it for normal days out and parties as well (just put on a bit more of what I already use). Get a moisturising foundation maybe if your skin is dry and use mascara and lip balm or something. That's a good start. Eyeliner takes a bit more practise though so maybe try that later. You can ask make up experts at Debenhams like others have suggested. Just try different styles and see what suits you. You could buy a big make up set with lots of eyeshadows, blush colours, etc, etc and experiment to see what you like and what suits you :smile: Good luck!
mammamia:0
Okay so I'm sort of in the process of trying to give myself a "makeover" in time for year 13 and considering my 18th birthday is only 6 weeks away, I think it's about time that I started wearing makeup!
I have quite red and dry skin so ideally i'd like makeup that could cover the redness without agrivating the dryness!
I'm a complete beginner and pretty clueless so I will need a lot of help sorry!

i didn't wear make up until i was 17 and you dan have to wear it only wear it if you want too :biggrin:
to cover the redness use a cream founation and not a powder and make sure you get the right colour to match your natural skin colour so you dont look like an orange lol

if your thinking of wear eye make for everyday wear then keep it simple for example mascara (if your eye lashes are quite thick and dark already then go for a simple black mascara and not on that makes then look bigger) eye liner and if you really want to pick a colour. buy a blending brush and blend it so its not too bold.

hope this helps and check out youtube for tutorials :biggrin:
xx

Latest