The Student Room Group
Reply 1
usually it's done on a school by school policy, rather than each student deciding what happens. it is possible, however, not to show them, but i wouldn't have a clue as to which is the most common practice. mine weren't revealed though, so all offers (or rejections) were based on predicted grades (as well as other things probably, but just those predictions in terms of an idea of AS/A level performance).
Reply 2
Thanks. :smile:
To resit you have to decline your grade. I was given the impression that at least the people at my college didn't have their AS grades revealed to their prospective unis.
Reply 4
What if you apply to UCL, King's and LSE, get offers of AAA/AAB, but don't manage to raise your BBC?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it is difficult enough sustaining AAA from AS, let alone trying to leap two grades in one subject.

Re-sits may seem like a shiny halo now, but in the midst of A2 work, A2 modules, and A2 coursework deadlines, it can be somewhat detrimental to current examinations to be concentrating on last year's work.

I know it's possible, but in my opinion I would be looking for a good handful of universities in the BBB and ABB range.

Just out of interest, why will you be predicted AAA when you gained BBC at AS?

Wishing you the best of luck,
D xxx

ps - The Admission's system is so broken... *mutters*
Reply 5
Provided you decline your AS grades [a given, really, considering that no university currently stipulates them; except Cambridge, who review modular marks] there is no requirement to declare them on your UCAS form.

However, Dreama's cautionary note is right; and it is one I have, myself, raised in the past: how did you warrant your 'AAA' prediction? Presuming a lack of extenuating circumstances, it seems doubtful that you could merit those grades; and A2 is liable to be at least as hard as AS: in the majority of cases, considerably more so.
Just to act as a counterweight of hope to Dreama...

Whilst the majority of what she says is correct, and her point regarding resits contains some truth, it neglects to mention one key lifeline. Should you find that you are working well at A2, in many subjects, the resit of an AS module (or two, or three.. :eek: ) will seem considerably easier. I speak from experience, particularly in physics (where there isnt even a obvious link between AS and A2).

My advice would be to see how you find A2. If you feel like you did when doing AS, then look a bit further down the league tables. If everything starts to click, then go for the unis you mentioned...
Resitting is fine as long as you do it in moderation. If you find you're resitting practically all your modules, then you'll be distracted from your A2 work, and possibly do worse in the long run.
Reply 8
Dreama
What if you apply to UCL, King's and LSE, get offers of AAA/AAB, but don't manage to raise your BBC?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it is difficult enough sustaining AAA from AS, let alone trying to leap two grades in one subject.

Re-sits may seem like a shiny halo now, but in the midst of A2 work, A2 modules, and A2 coursework deadlines, it can be somewhat detrimental to current examinations to be concentrating on last year's work.

I know it's possible, but in my opinion I would be looking for a good handful of universities in the BBB and ABB range.

Just out of interest, why will you be predicted AAA when you gained BBC at AS?

D xxx

ps - The Admission's system is so broken... *mutters*

I am going to be predicted AAA or AAB ( my teacher can't decided whether to predict A or B) because;

1) I was 6 marks away from an A in one subject
2) I was 7 marks away from a B on the other subject

Therefore my AS results would have been ABB.

Also to be honest I hardly revised for these AS exams because of extenuating circumstances (family problems) and I thought I was going to get UUU, so I was still glad to get BBC.

I am prepared to work very hard for AS modules and A2 modules and hopefully I will be able to get those grades.

''I would be looking for a good handful of universities in the BBB and ABB range.'' <------- If I went to a Uni which requires grades BBB or ABB I don't think I would have the chance of becoming a barrister in a million years.
Reply 9
best75
I am going to be predicted AAA or AAB ( my teacher can't decided whether to predict A or B) because;

Also to be honest I hardly revised for these AS exams because of extenuating circumstances (family problems) and I thought I was going to get UUU, so I was still glad to get BBC.

I am prepared to work very hard for AS modules and A2 modules and hopefully I will be able to get those grades.

''I would be looking for a good handful of universities in the BBB and ABB range.'' <------- If I went to a Uni which requires grades BBB or ABB I don't think I would have the chance of becoming a barrister in a million years.

I'm really not being picky but how "close" you were to a certain grade is beside the point entirely. The point is that you will be re-taking examinations at a crucial time when you should be concentrating on current academic work.

It's not as if you only have to get your 6 or 7 marks - You have to start the entire examinations from scratch...

As said, a few retakes are fine, but I feel the amount of work needed to raise BBC to AAA is quite a lot, and my advice was to opt for a few Universities within an easily attainable range. Sure, apply for the LSE etc but also consider your options.

Just trying to offer advice... I've seen people re-take and do very well, but I've also seen people re-take and end up with very disappointing results. It is therefore best, in my opinion, to have a range of offers in regard to your possible results.

D x
Reply 10
Dreama
I'm really not being picky but how "close" you were to a certain grade is beside the point entirely. The point is that you will be re-taking examinations at a crucial time when you should be concentrating on current academic work.

It's not as if you only have to get your 6 or 7 marks - You have to start the entire examinations from scratch...

As said, a few retakes are fine, but I feel the amount of work needed to raise BBC to AAA is quite a lot, and my advice was to opt for a few Universities within an easily attainable range. Sure, apply for the LSE etc but also consider your options.

Just trying to offer advice... I've seen people re-take and do very well, but I've also seen people re-take and end up with very disappointing results. It is therefore best, in my opinion, to have a range of offers in regard to your possible results.

D x

But he had extenuating circumstances, and if these are no longer there, and if he has the academic ability to achieve AAA it is wholly possible with hard work.

I know several people who pushed their grades up by 2 or 3 in some cases.

One friend got ABCD at AS - her A2 grades were AAAB.

I know a girl who got BCE and got BBB in the end at A2.

If you're a lazy type with brains and decide to get your arse into gear it is fully possible to achieve it.
Reply 11
red_roadkill
it is fully possible to achieve it.

Which I never challenged. :smile:

I merely advised having some lower offers as it is fully possible, but by no means certain.
Reply 12
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am really going to get that AAA though. :smile:
I got BBCC for my AS, however I was 2.4% and 5% from an A in two of the subjects so with resits it should be fine, still rather annoyed I missed an A by that considering I had one seriously crappy unit in my Chemistry and all the rest were high grades. As for the C that will take some work. So personally, I think depending how close you were to the A's and whether you're going to put in the work should make the decision for you. If you end up with AAA and they haven't made you an offer you can always re-apply, personally I would rather resit a year if I got less than AAB, possibly even if I got that. I'm going to be applying for Law at Oxford anyway, took a friends advice who went to Cambridge and did Law. So far on my list I have Nottingham, Manchester, Oxford and LSE (which is apparently AAA or AAB in the prospectus), unsure of whether to put a couple of back-up choices down but I doubt I will, possibly two AAB or ABB places. My predicted grades are either AAA or AAA/B, will find out tomorrow.
Reply 14

I refer to your above remarks which i perceive to be very SHALLOW indeed. Why can't you qualify as a barrister if you went to a university with entry req of ABB or BBB?

Chambers do NOT only look at your GCSE and A Level Grades but your DEGREE and may i emphasise 'Degree Classification' shall be thee key decisive point in your application when appyling for pupillage, as well as , relevant experiences gained throughout.

Anyhow you could read Law at Oxbridge, but this wont guarantee you a pupillage with chambers. The latter are VERY selective when it comes to offerring pupillages and achieving straight A's wont neccessarily as i state be one deciding factor>>>hence your remarks simply mean nothing but an attitude as you have sure shall deter any chance you have to become a barrister.

P.s..key example... i have a friend whom gained grades BBBC in her A Levels, gained a scholarship from Grays Inn and is now in pupillage with Matrix Chambers...and NO she went to KEELE University whose entry requirements are ABB.

best75

Latest

Trending

Trending