The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

I am a Second Year Sheffield University student. Ask me anything about Freshers year!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Dr.Hox
Is it feasible to bring a motorbike to uni? I know you can only apply for parking actually during Freshers Week once you've registered, but do they have sheltered parking for motorbikes or will it just be a bay in the middle of a car park somewhere? I don't wanna leave mine at home and there are some awesome roads around Sheffield to take it round on...(Snake pass anyone :biggrin:)

I took my car and stayed in Endcliffe. I didn't see any special motorcycle bays, but I can't see any reason you just can't keep it in a car park.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 41
Vickyy
Move in is the weekend of the 18th-19th of September, then freshers lasts until the 27th, when lectures start.

Ah 6 weeks!!
So are there procedures put in place for move ins? Does everybody do it at the same time
Reply 42
laser
I took my car and stayed in Endcliffe. I didn't see any special motorcycle bays, but I can't see any reason you just can't keep it in a car park.

Security is usually the issue, something to chain it to and keep the rain off it too...Will have to see whats up when I get there I suppose
Reply 43
kestrell
Ah 6 weeks!!
So are there procedures put in place for move ins? Does everybody do it at the same time

Yeah, it's all organised so you arrive on either the Saturday or Sunday. You choose a rough arrival time so they can manage when everyone's collecting keys, there's room to park, enough staff to help, etc.
Reply 44
Vickyy
Yeah, it's all organised so you arrive on either the Saturday or Sunday. You choose a rough arrival time so they can manage when everyone's collecting keys, there's room to park, enough staff to help, etc.

Brilliant okay, thanks :smile:
Reply 45
lavendermyst
I am doing a degree in Business Management btw.

So you're doing this at Sheffield I presume?
I'm doing Spanish with Business Management! So I'll probably be seeing you in some lectures :smile:
Reply 46
Random question, do they provide mirrors in the rooms at Endcliffe or do you have to bring your own if you want them?
Also, is it a good idea to bring your car there? I really want to but I heard there's not much point in Sheffield...
Reply 47
Noor_
Random question, do they provide mirrors in the rooms at Endcliffe or do you have to bring your own if you want them?
Also, is it a good idea to bring your car there? I really want to but I heard there's not much point in Sheffield...

Do not bring a mirror! They have great full length ones in every room in Endcliffe and Ranmoor. :yep:

I think its pointless bringing a car since town and your lectures are only 20 minutes away on foot. Save your petrol money for more important things. Like nights out. :teeth:
Reply 48
Floofy
Do not bring a mirror! They have great full length ones in every room in Endcliffe and Ranmoor. :yep:

I think its pointless bringing a car since town and your lectures are only 20 minutes away on foot. Save your petrol money for more important things. Like nights out. :teeth:

Awesome! Thanks :smile: I quite enjoy walking around (although I ADOOOORE driving) so I think I'll leave it here.
Dmoore239
So you're doing this at Sheffield I presume?
I'm doing Spanish with Business Management! So I'll probably be seeing you in some lectures :smile:

I sure am! Still working on my visa atm, but hope to have that all done soon! We are bound to have a class or two together I'm sure! :smile:
Lozmaster
Pretty sure every department assigns you your tutor. A lecture is where whoever is leading the class teaches you the material for the course, a tutorial is used to apply what you're learnt in questions and worksheets, varying depending on your department.

I wouldn't recommend this, the staff at the university were all very helpful and answered all my questions for free, and you're able to go and see your personal tutor or whoever is teaching the course for any help. Office hours are great timing if you need help.

Varies with the modules you choose and what the lecturer decides. My modules for first year ranged from all exam to up to 40% coursework/60% exam.

Thank you! When you are looking at the syllabus it's all pretty intimidating! Guess I will know in about 6 weeks! :smile:
Reply 51
Noor_

You're so vain I bet you think this post is about you... don't you!

:p:
Reply 52
danny1mcc
You're so vain I bet you think this post is about you... don't you!

:p:

Yes, yes I do. Now go home :cool: :biggrin:
Reply 53
Noor_
Yes, yes I do. Now go home :cool: :biggrin:

But I am home...
Reply 54
I keep thinking of more things I either don't know or aren't prepared for, everyone seems to be talking about going out and buying new uni stuff, which yeah makes sense to a point...but they're doing a full round trip of all the homey stores and some are going to ikea...why is this....WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE BUYING!!!

I just figure I've lived in this house and been able to survive, I surely don't need to spend a lot of money...I just take the stuff from here...and then things that will need to be duplicated (i.e. that my parents would like me not to steal) then I get that, so some pans maybe and kitchen things...
Reply 55
I think thats what people are buying. Ive jus bought some cutlery, a couple of mugs, some cups, plates, bowls, cooking utnesils then duvets and towels and all that stuff. You do need to take all this lol
So how do you join societies and clubs? When is the fair or whatever also on the introduction booklet it says different times for registering like for which course you're on. Is that the best time to arrive or should you cum really early just to make sure?? Sorry if these questions have already been asked.
Reply 57
Dr.Hox
I think thats what people are buying. Ive jus bought some cutlery, a couple of mugs, some cups, plates, bowls, cooking utnesils then duvets and towels and all that stuff. You do need to take all this lol

Hahaaa yeah :biggrin: don't reckon I need a full day trip to Ikea just yet though :P people buying furniture have blagged me :s-smilie: Do they reckon they're getting an empty flat...and if they are can I have one
:biggrin: ha

Cheers :smile:
Reply 58
lavendermyst
I sure am! Still working on my visa atm, but hope to have that all done soon! We are bound to have a class or two together I'm sure! :smile:

I hope you get it sorted! :smile:
Where abouts are you stopping? In some of the university owned accommodation?
Dmoore239
I hope you get it sorted! :smile:
Where abouts are you stopping? In some of the university owned accommodation?

I have friends in Sheff so am gonna rent a room from them, I tried for accommodation but they offered the smallest en suite and there weren't very many pictures so I decided against it. Too much of a financial commitment without being able to get a good idea what I was getting into! And you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending