The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by caveman123
Actually it's about OU, not necessarily UK.

Actually, it's also about the OU in relation to other universities. From the OP:
"Hi guys, I have just heard that the degree classifications at the open university is significantly higher then other uni's.

Eg. at norma uni it is 70% to get a 1st, and most people in essay based courses very rarely get over 75%.

Yest at the open university you have to score 70% just to get a 2.1, and an impossible sounding 85% for a 1st!

so is the OU VERY difficult, or is their grading system system slightly different, in that an essay usually worth 60% at a normal uni will usually be graded as 70% at the OU?"
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 81
so is the OU VERY difficult, or is their grading system system slightly different, in that an essay usually worth 60% at a normal uni will usually be graded as 70% at the OU?"

Yes, it's just a different grading scheme. They use the full 0-100 range rather than other unis where it's nearly impossible to get over 80%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 82
Hi mate I am currently at open uni studying software development the reason that the threshold is so high is because a lot of employers Didn't like the fact people were earning degrees without actually goin to uni so the OU made it harder with that being said it is hard enough trying to earn a degree with ou because you have to manage you outside life along with managing all your work yourself and not having a tutor to help but the study materials are good and as long as you put the time in its easy enough I have been hitting 90 percent up to 97 in all but one assignment which I got 87 .
Reply 83
Original post by easyindeed
Well the Open University is one of the best in the UK - it maintains very high standards and that is evident from the high degree classifications.

I know people who got into places like Hull, Oxford and Wolverhampton that were rejected from the Open University.

Lol you don't know anyone who got into Oxford but refused from OU that's the whole reason they are called OPEN university because it's open to everyone I left School with no gcse no qualifications at all and started my degree with open university without any problems at all an I have gone back to colllege at the same time to do GCSE English an maths
Reply 84
Original post by dl5782
Lol you don't know anyone who got into Oxford but refused from OU that's the whole reason they are called OPEN university because it's open to everyone I left School with no gcse no qualifications at all and started my degree with open university without any problems at all an I have gone back to colllege at the same time to do GCSE English an maths

It depends on the module/degree that you want to do. Some do have entry requirements. People who have no previous qualifications can study with the OU, but have to start on the entry level modules (such as Openings).
I think I can give a qualified opinion on this subject, please let me explain.

I have nearly completed the Computing and IT BSc (Hons) at the Open University (OU). I have a BSc(Hons) Biochemistry degree from Leeds University (2i), a PhD in computational fluid dynamics from Leeds University, and some years ago I got AAB at A-Level.

My experience of the grading at the OU was that I was able to get higher marks in my coursework (often it’s been in the high 90s) than I’d been able to get at Leeds. At Leeds I’d normally be in the 60/70 range. But in exams this was all wiped away.

For the higher mark in the coursework I am not sure if this is the university or the course. Let me explain: part of one question within computing might ask me to redraw a sequence diagram as a communication diagram for which I could receive a maximum of 6 marks. If I do this correctly, I get 6 marks. Extending this, I could potentially get 100% if I don’t make any errors in the rest of the questions. I know when I did biochemistry I’d give an essay style response to a question and the marker would decide whether I’d given a first response or a 2(i) or whatever. In my experience of mathematics/computing courses there is a potential to get 100%. Had something similar in Biochemistry where in a course on IT, Maths and Statistics I got 82%. Highest mark I ever obtained at Leeds.

Is the OU easier to pass? For example, in M359 a 30 credit level 3 module the material to read and memorise was the equivalent of a 6cm thick textbook. As well as the course text in computing modules there are also practical activities to work through and also try to memorise. So if you did this full time there would be a requirement to learn four 6cm thick textbooks in 8 months with additional practical material. As a comparison at A-Level (old school) you’d be required to learn four 6cm thick textbooks in 2 years. Here you get 8 months. Also what I found was that if you’d chosen full time you’d have to sit 120 credits of level 3 exams in one exam period as all modules started for me in February and all 120 credits were examined at the same time in October instead of having two exam periods a year as in traditional universities.

Come exam time you need to know the material. If you get 100% in coursework and only 40% in the exam you will get 40% overall, or a grade 4 pass. At Leeds if I remember correctly I had a 60:40 split for exams to coursework but at the OU your coursework is not added to your exam mark as in a traditional university. For people who don’t like exams the OU is not for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 86
I was reading on here that you only need to pass level 1 to progress to level 2 so can anyone tell me what percentage is a pass for a TMA at level 1 or do they vary?
Original post by xgemmaax
I was reading on here that you only need to pass level 1 to progress to level 2 so can anyone tell me what percentage is a pass for a TMA at level 1 or do they vary?

A pass is 40 or above at all levels (level 1, 2, and 3). Grade 4 pass, 40-54. Grade 3 pass, 55-69. Grade 2 pass, 70-84. Grade 1 pass, 85-100.

At the OU some people take the levels out of sequence and it is even possible to take modules from different degrees to make up something called an Open degree which requires 120 credits at each of the three levels. Or this has been possible in the past a lot of changes came in with the 2012 increase in fees. It was possible for someone to start at a higher level if they wished. Not sure if this has changed. If you want a degree of a particular type, for example BSc (Hons) Computing and IT some modules are compulsory so must be taken and some are optional where you have choice of what you’d prefer, say for example in the above option if you are interested in Software Development there will be certain modules to take and if you are interested in Computer Networks other modules. But in the past (maybe still the case) you could have started at level 3 if you wanted to but if you’re going for a particular type of degree maybe better to do the lower levels before attempt higher. That way you can optimise the grade you finish with. Ideally you’re aiming for a 2(i) or above (large proportion of employers only looking for these levels now).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by science_grad
A pass is 40 or above at all levels (level 1, 2, and 3). Grade 4 pass, 40-54. Grade 3 pass, 55-69. Grade 2 pass, 70-84. Grade 1 pass, 85-100.

At the OU some people take the levels out of sequence and it is even possible to take modules from different degrees to make up something called an Open degree which requires 120 credits at each of the three levels. Or this has been possible in the past a lot of changes came in with the 2012 increase in fees. It was possible for someone to start at a higher level if they wished. Not sure if this has changed. If you want a degree of a particular type, for example BSc (Hons) Computing and IT some modules are compulsory so must be taken and some are optional where you have choice of what you’d prefer, say for example in the above option if you are interested in Software Development there will be certain modules to take and if you are interested in Computer Networks other modules. But in the past (maybe still the case) you could have started at level 3 if you wanted to but if you’re going for a particular type of degree maybe better to do the lower levels before attempt higher. That way you can optimise the grade you finish with. Ideally you’re aiming for a 2(i) or above (large proportion of employers only looking for these levels now).

^ Thanks for the info!
Original post by dl5782

I may have to do this (go back to study at college) as I am so bored of recruiters asking about why I didn't do my degree at a red brick. I love the fact I still have a chance to gain my OU degree but not being able to find a job at the moment is very stressful and has been a hindrance. If I can just last for another 6 months I'll be ok going into year 2 :/
All Degrees start at level 1 and let me tell you now, saying all course are equivalent to GCSE, well my Bsc Degree is in Criminology and Psychological Studies and I studied criminology at college and did a GCSE In Psychology, This Degree is not at GCSE Level yes the course can be easier for some who have an academic mind like me, but others may find it challenging, but the Open University Tutors are very helpful and supportive. My level 1 module finishing this month is Understanding Social Lives my lowest mark throughout the TMAs has been 70% was a little disappointed as I know i could have done better but my highest mark is 82% and i know il have 100% on my ICMA, But My second module Is also level 1 and thats Investigating Psychology and GCSE students would have a very hard time getting a pass never mind an A-C. Essay writting is much better than GCSE Exam are, well when I did my GCSE's back in 2003. Good Luck with your studies everyone. Mwah. xxx
Reply 91
Original post by science_grad
I think I can give a qualified opinion on this subject, please let me explain.

I have nearly completed the Computing and IT BSc (Hons) at the Open University (OU). I have a BSc(Hons) Biochemistry degree from Leeds University (2i), a PhD in computational fluid dynamics from Leeds University, and some years ago I got AAB at A-Level.

My experience of the grading at the OU was that I was able to get higher marks in my coursework (often it’s been in the high 90s) than I’d been able to get at Leeds. At Leeds I’d normally be in the 60/70 range. But in exams this was all wiped away.

For the higher mark in the coursework I am not sure if this is the university or the course. Let me explain: part of one question within computing might ask me to redraw a sequence diagram as a communication diagram for which I could receive a maximum of 6 marks. If I do this correctly, I get 6 marks. Extending this, I could potentially get 100% if I don’t make any errors in the rest of the questions. I know when I did biochemistry I’d give an essay style response to a question and the marker would decide whether I’d given a first response or a 2(i) or whatever. In my experience of mathematics/computing courses there is a potential to get 100%. Had something similar in Biochemistry where in a course on IT, Maths and Statistics I got 82%. Highest mark I ever obtained at Leeds.

Is the OU easier to pass? For example, in M359 a 30 credit level 3 module the material to read and memorise was the equivalent of a 6cm thick textbook. As well as the course text in computing modules there are also practical activities to work through and also try to memorise. So if you did this full time there would be a requirement to learn four 6cm thick textbooks in 8 months with additional practical material. As a comparison at A-Level (old school) you’d be required to learn four 6cm thick textbooks in 2 years. Here you get 8 months. Also what I found was that if you’d chosen full time you’d have to sit 120 credits of level 3 exams in one exam period as all modules started for me in February and all 120 credits were examined at the same time in October instead of having two exam periods a year as in traditional universities.

Come exam time you need to know the material. If you get 100% in coursework and only 40% in the exam you will get 40% overall, or a grade 4 pass. At Leeds if I remember correctly I had a 60:40 split for exams to coursework but at the OU your coursework is not added to your exam mark as in a traditional university. For people who don’t like exams the OU is not for you.

That's not exactly correct about grade 4, grades are determined by the Examination and Assessment Boards not just TMA/EMA percentage.
Reply 92
I've done some traditional university study at a decent university and some OU study - S142 and SDK125. . My feeling is the OU year 1 content starts at a lower level but ramps up to a similar level of difficulty quite quickly, I suspect by 6 weeks in anyone not capable of completing the module will already be struggling.

It is relatively easy to do well on OU coursework but the module setup makes it quite challenging to get a good final result. For example you might do really well on 3 assignments and the computer marked quiz, but it ends up counting for nothing because 100% of the module weighting is on a final exam or final bit of coursework.

Personally I do not rate the tutor forms, online tutor meetings or module pages which I found confusing.

I'm not certain the OU represents good value for money and I'm unsure as to whether to continue or not.
Original post by BigV
I've done some traditional university study at a decent university and some OU study - S142 and SDK125. . My feeling is the OU year 1 content starts at a lower level but ramps up to a similar level of difficulty quite quickly, I suspect by 6 weeks in anyone not capable of completing the module will already be struggling.

It is relatively easy to do well on OU coursework but the module setup makes it quite challenging to get a good final result. For example you might do really well on 3 assignments and the computer marked quiz, but it ends up counting for nothing because 100% of the module weighting is on a final exam or final bit of coursework.

Personally I do not rate the tutor forms, online tutor meetings or module pages which I found confusing.

I'm not certain the OU represents good value for money and I'm unsure as to whether to continue or not.

This is why I've transferred to a red brick from the OU. I was getting annoyed with everything moving to being entirely online, on top of having your pass marks entirely dependent on exams only. Nothing worse than getting a good OCAS and then ballsing it up over just one exam.
Then there's the cost, it's cheaper but not by much now.
I figured I may find traditional uni to be better for me personally as I was really lonely and struggling to motivate myself with the OU when I did my last course (S215 - chemistry).
It varies from person to person though!
Reply 94
Original post by CandyKoRn
This is why I've transferred to a red brick from the OU. I was getting annoyed with everything moving to being entirely online, on top of having your pass marks entirely dependent on exams only. Nothing worse than getting a good OCAS and then ballsing it up over just one exam.
Then there's the cost, it's cheaper but not by much now.
I figured I may find traditional uni to be better for me personally as I was really lonely and struggling to motivate myself with the OU when I did my last course (S215 - chemistry).
It varies from person to person though!

The advantage to 'real' universities is you can talk to your tutors and get more detailed feedback, you can form study groups with other students much more easily and tutors are able to give verbal advice even with assessed coursework if you are savvy about how you ask them questions.

Also my experience was very few modules are 100% assessed on exam or final coursework at 'real' uni. They generally tend to spread the assessment more which I think is preferable.

Cost yeah.... effectively £5400 per year with the OU now and that will probably rise over time. 9k per year to got to a traditional uni............. it is really worth crunching the numbers and trying to work out the cost of lost time (studying with the OU generally takes 6 years) vs the ability to work alongside.

OU is not the bargain it once was and I do wonder if employers take it as seriously. For grad entry jobs (no that I would want one) they often demand a 2.1 from a red brick or 'traditional' university...... would the OU qualify?
Original post by BigV

OU is not the bargain it once was and I do wonder if employers take it as seriously. For grad entry jobs (no that I would want one) they often demand a 2.1 from a red brick or 'traditional' university...... would the OU qualify?

No they don't. I've looked at lots of grad jobs and I'm yet to see one ask for a specific university. No doubt they have their preferences, but in the interests of equality they can't specify like that. They just ask for a 2:1.

As an aside red brick isn't a description of a good uni, it is a description of the period the uni was built. I.e. In the Victorian era where the campus buildings were made of red bricks. That's all it means, nothing more, nothing less.
I know, and the university I'm going to is an actual red brick. :wink:

Original post by SuperCat007
No they don't. I've looked at lots of grad jobs and I'm yet to see one ask for a specific university. No doubt they have their preferences, but in the interests of equality they can't specify like that. They just ask for a 2:1.

As an aside red brick isn't a description of a good uni, it is a description of the period the uni was built. I.e. In the Victorian era where the campus buildings were made of red bricks. That's all it means, nothing more, nothing less.

@BigV
I don't think the OU is looked down upon actually, a lot of employers really do appreciate the hard graft involved in getting a good classification there.
Of course it varies, and grad schemes are usually aimed at the very young graduates and usually at those from certain institutions (Oxbridge, LSE etc.)
Original post by CandyKoRn
I know, and the university I'm going to is an actual red brick. :wink:

@BigV
I don't think the OU is looked down upon actually, a lot of employers really do appreciate the hard graft involved in getting a good classification there.
Of course it varies, and grad schemes are usually aimed at the very young graduates and usually at those from certain institutions (Oxbridge, LSE etc.)

Again, not true. Have you ever looked at the amount of graduate schemes there are out there?! There may be certain city companies who would rather recruit and may exclusively recruit from those universities (though they could in no way advertise they do so), but there are thousands of graduate schemes with a variety of companies which ask for a 2:1 or above and these way outnumber the amount of graduates leaving such universities each year.
Reply 98
Original post by SuperCat007

Thanks for the patronizing education on what the term means and the strict rules you appear to think I must follow when discussing such a subject..... However I was already aware of the technical definition, it is just in my experience 'red brick' is often used as a descriptive term to mean to "good" university, as opposed to the 1992+ institutions which some consider inferior.

Equality - They may not always advertise this kind of snobbery and discrimination but if you think it doesn't exist you are mistaken. Do you really think a 2.1 from the OU is going to open doors in the same way as if you graduated from a 'Red Brick'? I do not.

Some examples I found in 2 minutes:
"Developer: First-class, or equivalent, degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Finance or numerate subject or a 2:1, or equivalent, from a "red brick" or internationally recognised university;"

"Graduate accounts assitant: Be a graduate from a Red Brick University that has studied a relevant qualification (1st class degrees only)"

"Graduate Assistant: Are you a sophisticated and intellectually sound graduate from a red brick University with bags of common sense?"

Graduate Finance: A strong academic history, ideally with a degree from a red brick university

I think it is safe to assume those adverts don't mean they will only accept applicants from the half a dozen or so real 'red brick' universities, what they mean is they want good universities (depending on their own perception of such) and they will not accept grads from the many universities of bums on seats that have popped up in recent years.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BigV
Thanks for the patronizing education on what the term means and the strict rules you appear to think I must follow when discussing such a subject..... However I was already aware of the technical definition, it is just in my experience 'red brick' is often used as a descriptive term to mean to "good" university, as opposed to the 1992+ institutions which some consider inferior.

Equality - They may not always advertise this kind of snobbery and discrimination but if you think it doesn't exist you are mistaken. Do you really think a 2.1 from the OU is going to open doors in the same way as if you graduated from a 'Red Brick'? I do not.

Some examples I found in 2 minutes:
"Developer: First-class, or equivalent, degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Finance or numerate subject or a 2:1, or equivalent, from a "red brick" or internationally recognised university;"

"Graduate accounts assitant: Be a graduate from a Red Brick University that has studied a relevant qualification (1st class degrees only)"

"Graduate Assistant: Are you a sophisticated and intellectually sound graduate from a red brick University with bags of common sense?"

Graduate Finance: A strong academic history, ideally with a degree from a red brick university

I think it is safe to assume those adverts don't mean they will only accept applicants from the half a dozen or so real 'red brick' universities, what they mean is they want good universities (depending on their own perception of such) and they will not accept grads from the many universities of bums on seats that have popped up in recent years.

Re-read what I wrote. In the interests of equality they can't stipulate a university, but in their selection process they may favour graduates from specific universities.

On your examples above one would have to assume the admin/HR/recruitment type who wrote the advert is obviously an idiot and has no idea what they're attempting to hire, because in their description of 'red brick' they rule out Oxbridge, most London universities etc. You can't stop ignorance, but the OU (certainly in research) is internationally recognised so if you had the appropriate degree there would be nothing to stop you also being eligible to apply.

My take on it is that for both graduate jobs and application for further study an OU graduate is going to have to be very selective in where and how they apply. There will be some for whom it will be an automatic rejection, but a degree is a degree and if that is all the job is asking for there should be no reason why you shouldn't be considered.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest