The Student Room Group

Accommodation / Tennancy Agreement Help

Im hoping someone on here can help me!

A couple of weeks ago, I agreed to move in with another tenant in a flat in England. It was fine at the time I agreed to move in but since then things have changed and I no longer wish to move in. I have never spoken to the landlord / letting agency, just the person who is moving out and I havent signed any agreement. I have been told the tenancy agreement would have been 6 months long but since I havent signed anything do I have a legal obligation to pay any money for the flat?

Any help appreciated!
Reply 1
No, if you didn't sign anything, you don't pay anything. Don't worry about it.

Even if you had've signed anything, all you would have to have done would've been to find another tenant to take your place.

But no, as you didn't sign any written agreement, you have no obligations.
So you've only spoken to the other tenant about it? If that's the case then yeah you should be legally in the clear.
Reply 3
Thanks for the responses people, much appreciated. Yeah I should have made it clear, the person I have spoken to is the tenant who is moving out of the flat. There are two tenants, one is staying in the flat and the other one is moving out. The only person I have spoken to and said I would take the flat is the tenant who is moving out, not the landlord or the other tenant. Am I legally still ok? Cheers
Reply 4
agf00001
Im hoping someone on here can help me!

A couple of weeks ago, I agreed to move in with another tenant in a flat in England. It was fine at the time I agreed to move in but since then things have changed and I no longer wish to move in. I have never spoken to the landlord / letting agency, just the person who is moving out and I havent signed any agreement. I have been told the tenancy agreement would have been 6 months long but since I havent signed anything do I have a legal obligation to pay any money for the flat?

Any help appreciated!

Even if you said to the landlord that you would be moving in, you don't have a signed tenancy agreement, and the worst that would happen is the landlord might get a bit annoyed, but he wouldn't be able to do anything.

Latest

Trending

Trending