The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Gizmo!
it sounds like you cry an awful lot,macca. but on the bright side, at least your medic-maccas will all learn to swim.

Seriously, what on earth is a macca?
Reply 41
chriscpritchard
JRCALC states:

and

In these situations a paramedic can cease resus (though as was said, local trust guidelines MAY vary), plus ECPs may have additional ability to recognise Life Extinct.

Forgive the impending stupid question, but isn't a hemicorporectomy when half the body is amputated? Why does this have anything to do with whether resuscitation can be continued or not?
Woody.
Forgive the impending stupid question, but isn't a hemicorporectomy when half the body is amputated? Why does this have anything to do with whether resuscitation can be continued or not?

the bottom one's when it doesn't need to be continued, top is when it doesn't need to be started (IE don't need to start resus on a decapitated person)
Woody.

Presumably because if you lose half your body, there is no way in hell you are going to survive and therefore there's no point in attempting resuscitation.
Reply 44
digitalis
Presumably because if you lose half your body, there is no way in hell you are going to survive and therefore there's no point in attempting resuscitation.

Quite an unfortunate occurance really.
Jessaay!

I hope you mean by "I want to be paediatric" you mean you want to be a Paediatrician :p: saying you want to BE paediatric infers you want to be a child :p:

Ahh rookie mistake, we've all been there :rolleyes:

[p.s. ..it's 'implies' not 'infers'. :o: on the other hand, you're at UCL doing medicine so.. probably makes up for it in nerd points x ]
Jessaay!
Quite an unfortunate occurance really.

Jah. Would make a cool story though if you *did* manage to survive!
If you get to that stage, your emotional response will probably be quite different after training, so many years of medical school, and the likes.
Reply 48
pieceofheaven
Ahh rookie mistake, we've all been there :rolleyes:

[p.s. ..it's 'implies' not 'infers'. :o: on the other hand, you're at UCL doing medicine so.. probably makes up for it in nerd points x ]

Infers is also correct, maybe a little more colloquial depending on its usage in that context:

Inference is the process of drawing a conclusion by applying clues (of logic, statistics etc.) to observations or hypotheses; or by interpolating the next logical step in an intuited pattern. The conclusion drawn is also called an inference. ...

It can be used to the same effect.
digitalis

Apparently they actually do it as an operation in severe cases of cancer... very few have happened successfully worldwide though!
Reply 50
digitalis

Hemicorporectomy is actually done (albeit very,very rarely) as a surgical procedure for e.g. extensive pelvic cancers. Obviously very high morbidity/mortality rates though.
Reply 51
Mask Of Sanity
If you get to that stage, your emotional response will probably be quite different after training, so many years of medical school, and the likes.

blimey. a hemicorporetic doctor brought back to life?

now that'd be the coolest story!
Reply 52
Helenia
Hemicorporectomy is actually done (albeit very,very rarely) as a surgical procedure for e.g. extensive pelvic cancers. Obviously very high morbidity/mortality rates though.

How do they pee?
Jessaay!
Infers is also correct, maybe a little more colloquial depending on its usage in that context:

Inference is the process of drawing a conclusion by applying clues (of logic, statistics etc.) to observations or hypotheses; or by interpolating the next logical step in an intuited pattern. The conclusion drawn is also called an inference. ...

It can be used to the same effect.

Ban-ter
Gizmo!

Would make an interesting motivational film!
Reply 55
digitalis
Ban-ter

I kno :cool:
Jessaay!
How do they pee?

in This
Gizmo!

Erm... I'm assuming wrong person quoted? :tongue:
Reply 58
ahhh, MOS, my mistake, quite right, wellnoticed. i couldnt 'elp it, too tempting. :biggrin:

chriscpritchard
Would make an interesting motivational film!
ahh, it would, it would. or the subplot for SAW 7, macca.

phew..you ave seen too many SAWs, i suspect.
Mask Of Sanity
Erm... I'm assuming wrong person quoted? :tongue:

Nah, it was just the location of your post and the way the rest of the convo was going I think :smile:

Edit: oops, I was wrong!

Latest

Trending

Trending