5-7 (inclusive)21%
2-4 (inclusive)17%
Less than 212%
None, but no grades less than a B4%
None, but no grades less than a C2%
I didn't do GCSEs/I did an equivalent2%
None of the above9%
Total votes: 129
Hi I'm new so I'm not too sure on the whole posting thing, but I hope this poll is useful - interesting to see what kind of grades 2011 medical applicants have as GCSEs are becoming more important for some medical school entry. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

1, it means the world to me.
Reply 2
Why are you so concerned? Does it make you feel better or something? :dontknow:
Reply 3
checking out the competition eh?
Reply 4
1, it means the world to me.

Hi :smile: do you think GCSES are going to affect your medical school choices a lot, or are your AS levels/what you think youre going to get at A2 really good so therefore more important?
Reply 5
Why do you care?
i hear GCSEs dont mean much, but i think the general consensus is that medical students have better GCSE grades than other students, as there is so much competition. Im guessing 6-10 will be the modal response.
Reply 7
checking out the competition eh

pretty much! lots of people seem to have really good results and places like b'ham place a lot of emphasis on it so wondering really...especially since medicine is such a competive course everyone's so bright...

Why are you so concerned? Does it make you feel better or something?

is that supposed to be a rude comment? It's just an interesting topic..
Reply 8
violet_ofelia
?
pretty much! lots of people seem to have really good results and places like b'ham place a lot of emphasis on it so wondering really...especially since medicine is such a competive course everyone's so bright...

is that supposed to be a rude comment?

Before you jump in with your horns rearing, no. It's a genuine question. Because I don't see what benefits will come by knowing other peoples' grades, other than a big "my dick is bigger than yours" ego fest. Best to worry about yourself imo.
Reply 9
Reply 10
i got 5 but they were IGCSEs which everyone knows are far better =]
violet_ofelia
Hi :smile: do you think GCSES are going to affect your medical school choices a lot, or are your AS levels/what you think youre going to get at A2 really good so therefore more important?

I don't know how I feel about my ASs some I feel confident with other I don't. Sometimes I underestimate myself, so I could do better than I think. I have already made my choices and I think the course, activities, accomodation and location was what I felt was important to me. I don't really care how many A*s I got or the no. the next person has, I'm concentrating on my application not other people's. The no. A*s doesn't determine how good a doctor you will be or if you get offers, but of course with some universities like birmingham A*s are imporatnt.
Reply 12
violet_ofelia

is that supposed to be a rude comment? It's just an interesting topic..

Hmmm, well you realise that the TSR sample isn't a representative transect of all med applicants :tongue:
Reply 13
like someone said, u checking out the competition aint gonna make a difference, will it? :dontknow:

oh and welcome to TSR :smile:
Reply 14
Hmmm, well you realise that the TSR sample isn't a representative transect of all med applicants :tongue:

that's true :smile:

The A*s doesn't determine how good a doctor you will be or if you get offers

Definitely agreed
Reply 15
But I do believe people with a higher number of A*s at GCSE are more mature and capable of performing under stress - both of which are useful for a career in medicine.
Reply 16
Before you jump in with your horns rearing, no. It's a genuine question. Because I don't see what benefits will come by knowing other peoples' grades, other than a big "my dick is bigger than yours" ego fest. Best to worry about yourself imo.

ok ok there are no real benefits, but its nice to see some sort of picture emerging. Clearly there are many factors in a successful application like UKCAT/BMAT etc work experience and personal statement etc :smile: well done for your firm offer to manchester but youre not a 2011 applicant!
Reply 17
i did 10 gcses and got all a*s in them

most people who get 10< do doss subjects
Reply 18
l4ith
i did 10 gcses and got all a*s in them

most people who get 10< do doss subjects

My subjects were well hard innit :wink:
Reply 19
People should lay off a bit, she is intrested so whats it to you. She hasn't said she thinks GCSE's are the defining factor, and maybe TSR isn't a good representative of med applicants, but it is a good representation of the people more likely to get offers.

Latest

Trending

Trending