The Student Room Group

British Pakistannis

The large majority of the Muslim population can trace their roots back to Pakistan.

WIKIPEDIA

Assimilating into British society

Kashmiris
Around half of the British Pakistanis living in Britain can trace their origins to Mirpur in Azad Kashmir, which was the site of the Mangla Dam, which was built in the 1960s and flooded the surrounding farmland. Mirpur is a conservative district, even by Pakistani standards and rural life here has not changed much over the years. Families are not only a source of rigid hierarchies, but also the guiding influence behind everything from marriage to business.[47] This has clashed with British values, in which people tend to be more independent and liberal. As a result, some Pakistanis live in secluded areas, and thus the rise of ghettos in those communities. New research shows that the population of these mostly inner city communities has been rising very fast, a sure way to avoid cross-cultural contact. It seems to be the route taken by some people of Pakistani origin. There are statistics which suggest that of all communities, Mirpuri Pakistanis live in the most segregated areas of Britain, and their children attend the most segregated schools. The British government has dedicated itself to integrating immigrants, providing some kind of shared identity which Pakistanis could learn to accept. One plan includes the busing of Pakistani background students to "white schools" in an attempt to bridge the divide between the British public and Pakistanis.[48]
Most Kashmiri people are proud of their heritage. Many have named their businesses after the Pakistani area, a most notable example is Kashmir Crown Bakeries which is a food making business based in Bradford. The company is a major local employer and is the largest Asian Food Manufacturer in Europe.[49] The owner of Kashmir Crown Bakeries, Mohammed Saleem, says that combining traditional Kashmiri Baking methods with vocational British training has made his Bakery a multi-million pound business.[50]

Punjabis
British Punjabis of Pakistani origin make up a third of the British Pakistani population. People who came from the Punjab area of Pakistan (Punjabis) have integrated much more easily into British society due to the Punjabis more Liberal culture. British Punjabis tend to reside more in the South of the England, while people of Kashmiri origin are more commonly found in the West Midlands and North of England.
James Caan and Amir Khan are notable examples of successful Punjabi Pakistanis.

Your thoughts? Could this highlight that culture plays a far more significant role than religion?

Scroll to see replies

how biased.
My pakistani friend told me that all the pakistanis that cause problems are Mirpuris. He hates them for giving the pakistanis a bad reputation lol
Reply 3
and op you forgot about Sindh ,Baloch ,Pathan
Maybe you should ask them personally?
zjohn
and op you forgot about Sindh ,Baloch ,Pathan

Apparently, there are more Mirpuris and Punjabis Pakistannis here than Sindhis, Balochis, and Pathans. We can include them as well.
Reply 6
Mirpuris are disgusting! No class and no sense haha- i dislike them very much :smile:
Reply 7
:yawn:
Pakistanis are crazy man.
Reply 9
Does anyone care OP?

Waste of valuable TSR space...try and make a troll thread on H&R, that'd be fun, sir :biggrin:
Reply 10
Magic_007
Does anyone care OP?

Waste of valuable TSR space...try and make a troll thread on H&R, that'd be fun, sir :biggrin:

lol
Reply 11
themanbearpig
My pakistani friend told me that all the pakistanis that cause problems are Mirpuris. He hates them for giving the pakistanis a bad reputation lol

how apt. Your mate has hit that right on the head, down in Slough its them doing damage (I am Brit-pakistani myself, before anyone slaughters me:smile: ):yep:
Reply 12
fallout?
how apt. Your mate has hit that right on the head, down in Slough its them doing damage (I am Brit-pakistani myself, before anyone slaughters me:smile: ):yep:

How do you mean?
Reply 13
fallout?

whats a milpuri?

is it a sub class/ethnicity?

if so isnt everyone saying how bad they are terribly racist/ non pc in some way?
Bonged.
whats a milpuri?

is it a sub class/ethnicity?

if so isnt everyone saying how bad they are terribly racist/ non pc in some way?

It is a race or group or a region where people are from in Pakistan.
So you have 5 provinces, states or regions- Punjab, Sindh, Balochista, NWFP, Kashmir.

Mirpur- Kashmir
Pathan-NWFP
Balochis-Balochistan
Punjabis-Punjab

That is a jist.
Reply 15
The_Male_Melons
It is a race or group or a region where people are from in Pakistan.
So you have 5 provinces, states or regions- Punjab, Sindh, Balochista, NWFP, Kashmir.

Mirpur- Kashmir
Pathan-NWFP
Balochis-Balochistan
Punjabis-Punjab

That is a jist.

Just to correct you there is no such thing as "NWFP" ANYMORE it is "Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa"
zjohn
Just to correct you there is no such thing as "NWFP" ANYMORE it is "Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa"

k.
I'm Punjabi :proud:
Reply 18
Organ
How do you mean?

Kashmir is reffered to as a jungle by the rest of Pakistan. Completely uncultured farmers, I'm sure they have redeeming qualities. Somewhere.
Reply 19
I don't know about the rest, but I do know there are more Kashmiris up North I only know of 2 punjabis excluding me.

Latest

Trending

Trending