The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

There is absolutely no point taking FSMQ mathematics if you are taking mathematics AS.
Reply 2
Mr M
There is absolutely no point taking FSMQ mathematics if you are taking mathematics AS.

It's an extra qualification that will get me more UCAS points though. I do understand where your coming from though. But if they are that identical, isnt it worth just quickly grabbing it?
Reply 3
sixthformer
It's an extra qualification that will get me more UCAS points though. I do understand where your coming from though. But if they are that identical, isnt it worth just quickly grabbing it?

Why do you need the extra UCAS points? :s-smilie:

Any offer you are made will certainly be covered by the other 4 subjects you're doing.
what is fast track maths in a year?
6 hours a day is a little harsh on yourself, my maths teacher advises 3 hours a week for maths and 3 hours a day combined for all our subjects, in the end I did not start revising till well into study leave for AS and A2 and came out with 2A's and 3B's at A2, for AS my grades were ABBBB with only 2 days of 6 hours revision for each subject.
So in all based on my experience in taking the same subjects as you and GS you do not need to revise excessively, but it depends on you and where you are looking to go to uni, as well as this i would advise to go out and get so experience you can put down on your personal statement when you come to write it, as a well written personal statement showing you are a well-rounded individual is just as useful as predicted grades when it comes to uni applications, as everyone now can boast high grades e.g. 27% of people getting A*or A grades this year.
Reply 6
sixthformer

Trust me there is NO point whatsoever in doing FSMQ maths alongside AS. The FSMQ is a qualification that just bridges the gap between gcse and AS, and it is worth a lot less. Like I find it hard to describe how truly pointless it would be doing it. I did it last year and I found it pointless and I wasn't even studying AS maths at the same time.
If you want an extra maths qualification, do further maths.
6 hours a day? :nooo:
Reply 8
LazyWorseThanInfidel
what is fast track maths in a year?

All the A level maths in a year
Reply 9
sixthformer

Most university offers, if they are based on UCAS points, will take the points from A-levels only.

I understand your point of getting something extra, but unless where you want to go specifically asks for it I wouldn't bother, just focus on the A-levels.

Also, by 6 hours revising, do you mean on top of your studies?!
Reply 10
kpwxx
Most university offers, if they are based on UCAS points, will take the points from A-levels only.

I understand your point of getting something extra, but unless where you want to go specifically asks for it I wouldn't bother, just focus on the A-levels.

Also, by 6 hours revising, do you mean on top of your studies?!

Yep=p on top.

Basically, i 'll take two hours break and revise till midnight, and then sleep.
Reply 11
sixthformer
Yep=p on top.

Basically, i 'll take two hours break and revise till midnight, and then sleep.

Each to their own, but that sounds like way too much to me. If I revised that much I'd get so fed up I'd end up failing anyway. And worn out as well.

Also, you should take time for social activities as well, they are just as important to development as education.

Most of all, you can still achieve A* grades doing much less than that. Maybe revising throughout the school day (in frees as well as lessons), then maybe an hour a day once you get past xmas might be an idea? This is in top of home/course work of course.
sixthformer

I can't see why you would need a possible additional 20 UCAS points if you are taking four AS Levels! Daft.
sixthformer
All the A level maths in a year

Yep, it's definitely possible.
sixthformer
I'm going into a/s levels but this is what i want.
I wish to know that if i spend 6 hours a day minimum revising for a/s levels, can i do

maths a/s
biology a/s
physics a/s
chemistry a/s

AND

FSMQ maths?

is it even possible to do fast track maths in a year and still get an A*?

You cannot take FSMQ Maths (OCR Advanced, at least) in the same year you take an AS Maths module I think.
i did it in one year and got 600/ 600 :biggrin:
what everyone else has said, don't bother doing FSMQ maths

I don't think you really need to spend 6hrs a day revising. The best advice I can give you is to work in your free's. Keep on top of your homework and make sure you understand everything as you're going along :h:

Don't worry, you haven't even started AS yet, so see how it goes when you start. See how you do in class tests etc. and your teachers should be able to tell you if you are doing sufficient or not.
killfestab
i did it in one year and got 600/ 600 :biggrin:

Apply to Bristol :ninja:
Reply 18
Dont do that FSMQ thing. Do Further Maths if you really want to do extra maths. Most uni offers are made just for 3 A-levels, don't do extra just for the sake of it.

And 6 hours a day is way too much.
mastermind_107
You cannot take FSMQ Maths (OCR Advanced, at least) in the same year you take an AS Maths module I think.

Almost true. The rule changed in April 2010. You can take it in the same year as a module but the OP would not be able to certificate in the same year for GCE mathematics. If he intends to certificate in Year 13, it wouldn't be a problem but the whole idea is still stupid.

Latest