The Student Room Group

King's EMDP 2010/2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by holachica!

Original post by holachica!
Has anyone heard anything regarding interview etc because lots of the 5yr course applicants are receiving interview dates and some have already had theirs in October ??? :frown:

i think the EMDP is next yr. they are taking time because there isn't any PQA this year.
Reply 181
Yes no more PQA. Interview will be held 8th/9th March. You'll hear from them in Feb/Jan or so.
Original post by Medicz
Yes no more PQA. Interview will be held 8th/9th March. You'll hear from them in Feb/Jan or so.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Medicz

There only being 2 interview dates kinda spooks me :tongue:

Thank god there is no more PQA, I just got over the UKCAT :tongue:

I would suggest it is more in february than in Jan.

Good luck and thanks for the info.
Reply 184
Original post by &#946
There only being 2 interview dates kinda spooks me :tongue:

Thank god there is no more PQA, I just got over the UKCAT :tongue:

I would suggest it is more in february than in Jan.

Good luck and thanks for the info.

Agree - they might change the interview dates. Hopefully they do, March is just a LONG way.
This is my back-up so i wanted this interview first, not effing last
Original post by Medicz
Agree - they might change the interview dates. Hopefully they do, March is just a LONG way.
This is my back-up so i wanted this interview first, not effing last

This is your back up......:eek: I would love to go to Kings! You should hang yourself in shame :tongue:

Although I applied for newcastle, sheffield and UEA all 5 yr id be tempted to take the extra year to study at kings. Besides - some say it is major major competitive although numerical and academic competition are certainly different :smile:.
Reply 186
Original post by &#946
This is your back up......:eek: I would love to go to Kings! You should hang yourself in shame :tongue:

Although I applied for newcastle, sheffield and UEA all 5 yr id be tempted to take the extra year to study at kings. Besides - some say it is major major competitive although numerical and academic competition are certainly different :smile:.

You'd be an idiot if you chose EDMP over 5 year course. EDMP = Extra classes man ! Fudge that lol
Tbh at this stage it might not seem alot but imagine yourself in year 5 medicine. 5 Years is AGES and to think of it been 6 makes it sound so much longer if your at that stage. 5 year course > 6 year course. My backup is Kings cause Medicine all the way.

+ I hope you made 675+ in UKCAT has thats the cut-off for Newcastle.

Personally in order of preference for me, on your unis is
Newcastle, UEA, Sheffield and then Kings.
Original post by Medicz
You'd be an idiot if you chose EDMP over 5 year course. EDMP = Extra classes man ! Fudge that lol
Tbh at this stage it might not seem alot but imagine yourself in year 5 medicine. 5 Years is AGES and to think of it been 6 makes it sound so much longer if your at that stage. 5 year course > 6 year course. My backup is Kings cause Medicine all the way.

+ I hope you made 675+ in UKCAT has thats the cut-off for Newcastle.

Personally in order of preference for me, on your unis is
Newcastle, UEA, Sheffield and then Kings.

Yes :biggrin: I got 712.5! Last year I was always the one to be cut :tongue: (had 640 then)

Anyway It seems highly likely then Id get interview at newcastle (I dont want to jinx it and im not sure just how official this 675 figure is tbh). I hope Sheffield then doesn't rise too much - I reckon at 712.5 I certainly am in danger. Have any thoughts what the cut off may be? Last year it was 687.5 I believe, up 5 from the year before.

Its funny though my preference would be Kings/newcastle, sheffield then UEA but tbh Id just love to study medicine full stop so when I get a decision then I can worry about that.

I certainly disagree 5 years is a long time - 7/8 years ago I was in year 7 and it seems to have gone so quick.

I love london though and Kings is a fantastic university (not that the others aren't) and so I would be tempted to take the 6 year, imagine if I took a bsc that would be like 7!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 188
Original post by &#946
Yes :biggrin: I got 712.5! Last year I was always the one to be cut :tongue: (had 640 then)

Anyway It seems highly likely then Id get interview at newcastle (I dont want to jinx it and im not sure just how official this 675 figure is tbh). I hope Sheffield then doesn't rise too much - I reckon at 712.5 I certainly am in danger. Have any thoughts what the cut off may be? Last year it was 687.5 I believe, up 5 from the year before.

Its funny though my preference would be Kings/newcastle, sheffield then UEA but tbh Id just love to study medicine full stop so when I get a decision then I can worry about that.

I certainly disagree 5 years is a long time - 7/8 years ago I was in year 7 and it seems to have gone so quick.

I love london though and Kings is a fantastic university (not that the others aren't) and so I would be tempted to take the 6 year, imagine if I took a bsc that would be like 7!

Ive lived in London all my life too - but to do EDMP over Newcastle is abit crazy. And if you got above 675, you will 100% recieve an interview from Newcastle. In terms of Kings, ANY 5 year course over Kings 6 year course. At the end of the day same degree, MBBS. If its one year early, id definatley choose that. Your crazy if you choose Kings but i guess thats your choice :biggrin:
What you dont understand that the 6 year course is split up making it partially easier and allows you do gradually develop and increase workload, not saying I Prefer 6 years over 5 years. But to some people its better, I would like the 6 year course as it gives me less stress and also allows me to recap what i learnt in AS and A2 as im very forgetful. But the 5 years is a whole year shorter so you start earning quicker :tongue:
Reply 190
Original post by tomtaylor43
What you dont understand that the 6 year course is split up making it partially easier and allows you do gradually develop and increase workload, not saying I Prefer 6 years over 5 years. But to some people its better, I would like the 6 year course as it gives me less stress and also allows me to recap what i learnt in AS and A2 as im very forgetful. But the 5 years is a whole year shorter so you start earning quicker :tongue:

Its acutally not 'less' stress, even if it is its only a little tiny insy winsy bit. This is because, instead of doing Thorax in Year 1, your thrown into EXTRA English & Maths classes. And you have english exams (again:|), and maths again to help you GAIN skills that are REQUIRED for MBBS. So if you think about it, its wasting a year whilst doing 5hitty subjects like English AGAIN. You have EXTRA lectures to help you understand easier - more boredem. The only advantage i can see is staying in Uni for another year - and paying an extra £3k

Which i dread.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Medicz
Its acutally not 'less' stress, even if it is its only a little tiny insy winsy bit. This is because, instead of doing Thorax in Year 1, your thrown into EXTRA English & Maths classes. And you have english exams (again:|), and maths again to help you GAIN skills that are REQUIRED for MBBS. So if you think about it, its wasting a year whilst doing 5hitty subjects like English AGAIN. You have EXTRA lectures to help you understand easier - more boredem. The only advantage i can see is staying in Uni for another year - and paying an extra £3k

Which i dread.

I shall reillterate its not for everyone.
Original post by Medicz
Ive lived in London all my life too - but to do EDMP over Newcastle is abit crazy. And if you got above 675, you will 100% recieve an interview from Newcastle. In terms of Kings, ANY 5 year course over Kings 6 year course. At the end of the day same degree, MBBS. If its one year early, id definatley choose that. Your crazy if you choose Kings but i guess thats your choice :biggrin:

Thanks I know but I was referring to the legitimacy of the 675 figure since they are usually not meant to disclose the figure until the end of the cycle. Apparently someone got an interview with 675 so I suppose its right now.

Like I said its really a decision Ill make hopefully when I have offers to choose from. Id love to go Kings but the EMDP is not for everyone. Have to say though, you seem very anti the whole thing and it is not a particularly easy place to get in unless I am seriously mistaken.
Reply 193
Original post by &#946
Thanks I know but I was referring to the legitimacy of the 675 figure since they are usually not meant to disclose the figure until the end of the cycle. Apparently someone got an interview with 675 so I suppose its right now.

Like I said its really a decision Ill make hopefully when I have offers to choose from. Id love to go Kings but the EMDP is not for everyone. Have to say though, you seem very anti the whole thing and it is not a particularly easy place to get in unless I am seriously mistaken.

Ahhh i acutally really would be happy if i got into Kings :biggrin: - dont get me wrong! Its easier to get a place in than the 5 year course. What i most like about EDMP is all year 6,5,4,3,2,1 EDMPers see each other and are friends. Unlike stright medicine were you only know a few people in ever year! Kings - lovely place too
I'll tell you something guys. My mate is doing EMDP now and loves it, he's involved with the dissections/lectures just like the 5 year lot but he'll miss some lectures next year, his books are free and he has made loads of mates from both of the medicine courses in all years....There seems to be a misconception that the EMDP lot are segregated from the conventional 5 year students but coming straight from the students it's actually not like that.

We forgetting that the course is actually more competitive than the 5 year course? :sigh:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Medicz
Ahhh i acutally really would be happy if i got into Kings :biggrin: - dont get me wrong! Its easier to get a place in than the 5 year course. What i most like about EDMP is all year 6,5,4,3,2,1 EDMPers see each other and are friends. Unlike stright medicine were you only know a few people in ever year! Kings - lovely place too

No worries. I really hope it is easier though - mind you some people say it is more competitive than the 5 year but that sounds ridiculous - maybe only on an application per place basis? I really hope it is easier though.
Reply 196
Original post by &#946
No worries. I really hope it is easier though - mind you some people say it is more competitive than the 5 year but that sounds ridiculous - maybe only on an application per place basis? I really hope it is easier though.

Well there ARE more applicants to offer ratio. BUT the thing to keep in mind is there will be a lot of people in lalalala land - who have just applied cause they exceed BCC. They will (like me) have poor work experince and poor extra cric activties. And are a lot more prone to silly mistakes during the interview.

The thing with stright medicine is you have people who are like grade 8 in piano, violin etc. Know how to play every instrument to like grade 8! Where as thats not really the case in EDMP, the most you'd get in EDMP is like grade 4 - even if they can play an instrument.

So technically it is EASIER to get an offer - assuming your not an idiot :smile: Which you defintley dont seem it through your UKCAT score!
Original post by Medicz
Well there ARE more applicants to offer ratio. BUT the thing to keep in mind is there will be a lot of people in lalalala land - who have just applied cause they exceed BCC. They will (like me) have poor work experince and poor extra cric activties. And are a lot more prone to silly mistakes during the interview.

The thing with stright medicine is you have people who are like grade 8 in piano, violin etc. Know how to play every instrument to like grade 8! Where as thats not really the case in EDMP, the most you'd get in EDMP is like grade 4 - even if they can play an instrument.

So technically it is EASIER to get an offer - assuming your not an idiot :smile: Which you defintley dont seem it through your UKCAT score!

Thanks, mind you I had 640 last year. I understand you need extra cirics to get into medicine to show you are a well rounded person but it really annoys me that someone getting a grade 8 in piano may somehow hold an advantage over other applicants. I find that kinda ridiculous tbh. I agree though the quality of application is most probably lower in EMDP compared to the 5yrs. Havent heard anything from them yet though, we'll be waiting all the way till feb it seems :redface:
Reply 198
I have applied to the EMDP course... Anyone heard from the yet??? Do you know when they start replying to you???
Original post by pri_123
I have applied to the EMDP course... Anyone heard from the yet??? Do you know when they start replying to you???

the website says interview dates are 8th/9th March so we are likely to here around Jan/Feb time-long wait im sad to say:closedeyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending