The Student Room Group

King's EMDP 2010/2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Master.K
I am applying to UEA, Southampton and Kings (all 6 year courses).
Also i'm applying to QMUL and St Georges for Biomedical Science.:yep:
Biomed as a back up obviously. :awesome:

Nice, those seem like good choices, good luck! What grades do you have if you dont mind me asking? Also dont worry too much about biomed as well because there is usually a decent amount available on clearing - georges and QMUL were on there this year. Hopefully you wont need them though!
Reply 81
Original post by &#946
Nice, those seem like good choices, good luck! What grades do you have if you dont mind me asking? Also dont worry too much about biomed as well because there is usually a decent amount available on clearing - georges and QMUL were on there this year. Hopefully you wont need them though!

Oh ok kool, if I got rejection from all medicine courses I would do biomed at sgul and try to get a transfer.:p:

GCSE: A*A*A*ABBBB (AA in BTEC Media) Yes I went to a **** school.
A2 Predictions: AABb
UKCAT: Just below 550 fml. :sigh:
PS: Real good. :biggrin: Reference: Gonna read tomorrow. :smile:
I realllyyyy want to get in EMDP, I LOVE Kings, but I have no chance. :facepalm:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 82
Master.K
Oh ok kool, if I got rejection from all medicine courses I would do biomed at sgul and try to get a transfer.:p:

GCSE: A*A*A*ABBBB (AA in BTEC Media) Yes I went to a **** school.
A2 Predictions: AABb
UKCAT: Just below 550 fml. :sigh:
PS: Real good. :biggrin: Reference: Gonna read tomorrow. :smile:
I realllyyyy want to get in EMDP, I LOVE Kings, but I have no chance. :facepalm:

I reckon your academics will be fine for EMDP although your UKCAT is quite low, but like I said my mate had a similar UKCAT, GCSEs and A levels and got an interview with a really un committed statement. Only time will tell really.

I love kings as well, I dont know why I didnt apply last year, I was utterly stupid with my choices. There isnt a university I'd wanna go to more than kings, even oxbridge. Lets hope we both get in inshallah.
Original post by &#946
Im sure it is bigger than the 5 year, I will call tomorrow, but this website claims there was 270 applicants for 50 places? http://www.medical-interviews.co.uk/Kings-College-6year.aspx

Thing is, without offense, and by my own friends' admission, he was not a very good candidate at all and got interviews - he has a PS which was a mash up of civil engineering and medicine. This seems consistent with the above statistic. Im more inclined to not believe although Id love if that were the case.

For 2010 entry the number of applicants was between 450-500....They had over a 100% increase in applicants compared to the 2009 entry.

They interviewed around 180 people and then gave out 65 offers.

Hope that info helps. :smile:

Quite interesting that they've decided to remove PQA this year. :hmmmm:
Reply 84
Original post by &#946
I reckon your academics will be fine for EMDP although your UKCAT is quite low, but like I said my mate had a similar UKCAT, GCSEs and A levels and got an interview with a really un committed statement. Only time will tell really.

I love kings as well, I dont know why I didnt apply last year, I was utterly stupid with my choices. There isnt a university I'd wanna go to more than kings, even oxbridge. Lets hope we both get in inshallah.

Muslim!? Salam brother!! Where you from? :biggrin:
Kings is really the one for me. The thing is last year applicants with low GCSE's/A Level Predictions/UKCAT had the PQA test to back them up. NOT FAIR!:mad:

I spoke to admissions, she said if my my personal statement and predictions are good they should make up for my low ukcat. She said everything is weighted equally (which I believe is total bull). :awesome:
Also as for GCSE's, it depends on how 'low' they are compared to the 'applicant pool'. So i'm gonna keep my hopes up, by thinking dumb people would apply.....that's a rude way to put it but I couldn't think of anything better. :dontknow: :awesome:
Reply 85
Master.K
Muslim!? Salam brother!! Where you from? :biggrin:
Kings is really the one for me. The thing is last year applicants with low GCSE's/A Level Predictions/UKCAT had the PQA test to back them up. NOT FAIR!:mad:

I spoke to admissions, she said if my my personal statement and predictions are good they should make up for my low ukcat. She said everything is weighted equally (which I believe is total bull). :awesome:
Also as for GCSE's, it depends on how 'low' they are compared to the 'applicant pool'. So i'm gonna keep my hopes up, by thinking dumb people would apply.....that's a rude way to put it but I couldn't think of anything better. :dontknow: :awesome:

Of course :p: We are living in the UK arent we? :p: Only joking, I come from egypt but lived most my life here (im living in london). Kings is an amazing university, apparently it is the most state school friendly university on a recent poll and they have about 70% from state schools. Not just that they are internationally known for academic excellence. Ive met allot of students from there and its only made me want to go more, hopefully we get in though.

I would think the same tbh without being rude. Loads of people will apply to the 6 year course 'because they can', thats what happened at my school - people who weren't necessarily interested in medicine applied and this shows, they will have picked options in conflicting subjects and have personal statements that show a clear lack of commitment. Unfortunately as well from what I have seen is that state schools tend to have absolutely appalling career planning advice, its absolutely abysmal so hopefully if you known your stuff you could be some steps ahead of the pack. I may be too optimistic though!

I dont know about the PQA test, she did say that it was 'highly highly unlikely' although you never know. Inshallah we will get in, that is the only thing that matters in the end, I learned that last year.
Reply 86
Original post by &#946
Of course :p: We are living in the UK arent we? :p: Only joking, I come from egypt but lived most my life here (im living in london). Kings is an amazing university, apparently it is the most state school friendly university on a recent poll and they have about 70% from state schools. Not just that they are internationally known for academic excellence. Ive met allot of students from there and its only made me want to go more, hopefully we get in though.

I would think the same tbh without being rude. Loads of people will apply to the 6 year course 'because they can', thats what happened at my school - people who weren't necessarily interested in medicine applied and this shows, they will have picked options in conflicting subjects and have personal statements that show a clear lack of commitment. Unfortunately as well from what I have seen is that state schools tend to have absolutely appalling career planning advice, its absolutely abysmal so hopefully if you known your stuff you could be some steps ahead of the pack. I may be too optimistic though!

I dont know about the PQA test, she did say that it was 'highly highly unlikely' although you never know. Inshallah we will get in, that is the only thing that matters in the end, I learned that last year.

My sixth form is really good and know their stuff about UCAS. There's a UCAS assembly every week....LOL and a UCAS 'Director' of the sixth form. :smile:

Btw, she said what was 'very very unlikely'?

Inshallah we both get in....That'll be amazing! :coma:
Reply 87
Master.K
My sixth form is really good and know their stuff about UCAS. There's a UCAS assembly every week....LOL and a UCAS 'Director' of the sixth form. :smile:

Btw, she said what was 'very very unlikely'?

Inshallah we both get in....That'll be amazing! :coma:

That the PQA test is run in december - apparently there was some issue with arranging it or something, cant imagine what though. Maybe one of us give them a call tomorrow?

My school is no were near that good - they advised my friend to do medicine and civil engineering at the same time, didn't get into either and today I met a student applying to medicine and he seemed somewhat uninformed.
Reply 88
Original post by &#946
That the PQA test is run in december - apparently there was some issue with arranging it or something, cant imagine what though. Maybe one of us give them a call tomorrow?

My school is no were near that good - they advised my friend to do medicine and civil engineering at the same time, didn't get into either and today I met a student applying to medicine and he seemed somewhat uninformed.

Problem arranging.....abit stupid lol.

Just realised we've hijacked this thread HARDCORE!! LOOL :laugh:
Reply 89
Master.K
Problem arranging.....abit stupid lol.

Just realised we've hijacked this thread HARDCORE!! LOOL :laugh:

lol yeah, not too many people on this thread though lol, no EMDP fans around?

I found last year the most regular posters on which ever thread tended to get in, not that im saying this will happen *avoids jinxing the whole thing*

Eh I couldn't make out why they had trouble, im guessing they have to get some external body to deliver the test? Not enough dates / rooms / resources to interview all applicants? In previous years they have had less applicants, not sure really.
Reply 90
Original post by &#946
lol yeah, not too many people on this thread though lol, no EMDP fans around?

I found last year the most regular posters on which ever thread tended to get in, not that im saying this will happen *avoids jinxing the whole thing*

Eh I couldn't make out why they had trouble, im guessing they have to get some external body to deliver the test? Not enough dates / rooms / resources to interview all applicants? In previous years they have had less applicants, not sure really.

OMG regular posters get in!?

LOL

Who told u guys that the PQA is going?
Reply 91
airdoc
OMG regular posters get in!?

LOL

Who told u guys that the PQA is going?

Hopefully LOL.....It's probably just a correlation.

The admissions woman. I was soooo annoyed. :mad:
Reply 92
Master.K
Hopefully LOL.....It's probably just a correlation.

The admissions woman. I was soooo annoyed. :mad:

ARGHH i hope they dont scrap the PQA!

Anyway my ukcat is decent 667.5 and my Predicted grades AAA and my average gcses lol AAABBBBBBBB
Hopefully i should be alright
Personal statement is epic and reference is GREAT.

arghhhh, the wait is agonising!
Reply 93
airdoc
ARGHH i hope they dont scrap the PQA!

Anyway my ukcat is decent 667.5 and my Predicted grades AAA and my average gcses lol AAABBBBBBBB
Hopefully i should be alright
Personal statement is epic and reference is GREAT.

arghhhh, the wait is agonising!

Its not so much being scrapped - admissions just indicated there was a problem with administrating the test this year, whether it goes for good I dont know. In your case I reckon you UKCAT and predictions are great, should redeem your GCSEs which are decent enough, not catastrophic for the 6yr imo.
Reply 94
Original post by &#946
Its not so much being scrapped - admissions just indicated there was a problem with administrating the test this year, whether it goes for good I dont know. In your case I reckon you UKCAT and predictions are great, should redeem your GCSEs which are decent enough, not catastrophic for the 6yr imo.

Why this year though? :facepalm:
Reply 95
Master.K
Why this year though? :facepalm:

Ill call them up tomorrow to check with them again, there is plenty of time for it to be sorted out although admittedly its in my interest for it not to go ahead :o:
Reply 96
Original post by &#946
Ill call them up tomorrow to check with them again, there is plenty of time for it to be sorted out although admittedly its in my interest for it not to go ahead :o:

LOL I shall call them up as well.:cool:
Reply 97
airdoc
LOL I shall call them up as well.:cool:

Then you call them and tell us how it gets on, ive called them several times already - might start having to put on some accents :p:
Reply 98
Original post by &#946
Then you call them and tell us how it gets on, ive called them several times already - might start having to put on some accents :p:

HAHAHAHAHA Ditto! :laugh: :rolleyes:
Original post by &#946

My school allowed some chick to apply to Medicine, Dentistry,Optometry and Pharmacy.....all in on application last year :nothing:

The problem with PQA is that last year they found it difficult to allocate days for people to sit them as there was so many applicants....Some even had to wait to sit it in January.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending