The Student Room Group

2011 application worries!

Hi guys, I'll try to make this as brief as possible! Basically, I've got my heart set on going to KCL to study Hispanic Studies & Portugese in 2011 and the entry requirements seem to be between ABB-BBB. I actually only started doing Spanish GCSE last year whilst I was studying my AS levels, and then picked up AS Spanish and Politics whilst studying A2 History and Economics this year. So my plan is to complete A2 Politics and Spanish, and to pick up GCSE Latin at a third year at college.

My results were a B in A2 Economics, a B in AS Spanish, a C in AS Politics and a D in A2 History. Here's the first of my problems: I was actually at a B in AS History, but due to a combination of a long period of pretty bad illness, being stuck in Spain for an extra week due to the ash cloud, and dodgy internal coursework marking (which my Head of History is already trying to sort out for me) my grade got massively pulled down. I'm 100% sure I can get it back up to a B, but I'm worried this will just be a huge stain on my UCAS application until then.

My other worry is my C in Politics and my B in Spanish. Again, I feel my performance was stunted by my time off college, and although my predicted grades are A's in both, I'm worried this will be shadowed by my AS grades. I worry - especially with the increase in competitiveness for places - that KCL (and other unis) will reject my application right of the bat, despite the fact I'm sure I should come out this time next year with at least BBBB. Has anyone else been in a similar position and can offer their advice? Thank you!x
Reply 1
Doesn't it all depend on predicted grades and then the Uni going off them? It might be rubbish as I haven't been in a similar situation i'm sorry but maybe you should speak to your teachers about raising your AS/A2 predicted grades to impress the Uni's. Then the AS' you've dropped this time round only count as more lovely UCAS points! Also, most Uni's dont base there choices solely on grades so it might be that you'll just have to write a most awesome personal statement, stating about how truly passionate you are about Hispanic and Portugese culture/language etc etc (You could even write about your troubles with the ash cloud, illness and say how you overcame them :smile: )
But your best bet would be to speak to your head of college/sixth form about this!
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
well if you go to a decent school then you may not have to put your As's down and so they'll look at your as predicted grades and then Gcse personal statement. Unlike my school who make us put down as results and if we're doin resits. I want to do french at uni and got AACC on AS levels and my GCSE were A*AAAAAABBB. At the start i was quite confident but after my dads taunting of C i dont feel too good. I cant decide which one to drop:frown:
What do you think anyone...english or economics:frown:

JODC apply where you want...your grades are gurd:smile:
Reply 3
if you belive this to be proable towards your application you can always write it in the additional information box if i m not mistake?
Reply 4
thank you both for your help! If offers are based more heavily on predicted grades then I already feel a lot more confident! And I have no worries about my personal statement - I've got tons to say! haha.

and karema: I would say English, although I'm slightly biased as I absolutely loathed Economics :P

Latest

Trending

Trending