The Student Room Group

Oxford Medicine Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnonymousPenguin
Which option?

Does anyone have any comments on MVR? That's the one I'm leaning towards now.

I did MVR. I would say that there is a pretty clear cardiac/respiratory divide if you want it. Resp tends to be hard to get tutorials though, as Keith Dorrington is pretty much the only person in Oxford who does it! He does literally all of the lectures for the last 3 options.

You can take a molecular approach if you want to, just like what is pretty much compulsory in the other 4 options, but you also have the option of viewing things on a more systemic basis, which is why i chose it. I hated Pathology with its long lists of signalling factors and receptors and all of that. I find mechanisms interesting, rather than names and data. MVR was choice most like that, i felt.
Original post by nexttime
I did MVR. I would say that there is a pretty clear cardiac/respiratory divide if you want it. Resp tends to be hard to get tutorials though, as Keith Dorrington is pretty much the only person in Oxford who does it! He does literally all of the lectures for the last 3 options.

You can take a molecular approach if you want to, just like what is pretty much compulsory in the other 4 options, but you also have the option of viewing things on a more systemic basis, which is why i chose it. I hated Pathology with its long lists of signalling factors and receptors and all of that. I find mechanisms interesting, rather than names and data. MVR was choice most like that, i felt.

Pretty much how I feel. Thanks for that.

The only thing I feel could be a problem is the primary literature - there's way fewer good articles out there on most physiology topics compared to pathology or neuro topics like schizophrenia. Am I just looking in the wrong places or is that the case?
Original post by AnonymousPenguin
The only thing I feel could be a problem is the primary literature - there's way fewer good articles out there on most physiology topics compared to pathology or neuro topics like schizophrenia. Am I just looking in the wrong places or is that the case?

Possibly. Just means you have to make do with the ones which do exist, which i assure you are more than enough!
Oxford
Initial short-listing was based heavily on available GCSE and BMAT data (both quantitative and objective measures). If applicants had not taken GCSEs or IGCSEs more weight was given to the BMAT score. Source

So they probably come into the picture, but not as much as GCSEs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 164
Hallo!

So I'm thinking of applying to do Medicine at Oxford next year and I've been accepted to do an EPQ at my school. Currently my EPQ idea focuses more on the ethics of medicine. I know Oxford is all about the research (and for medicine, there's a year dedicated to it- no idea about other courses), so would it put me at an advantage if I did something more closely linked to medical research (perhaps for the interview)?

Bearing in mind that I would enjoy doing both types of topic and (strictly speaking) the EPQ doesn't contribute massively to the admissions process.

Thanks!
My friend's brother, who currently studies medicine at Oxford, said that he had two interviews: one academic and one on ethics. He said they asked him: if you had the choice between the two of them, who would throw of a plane: Hitler or Stalin? He said he'd kill both...leaving the interviewers unimpressed but it shows that such academic institutions have at least some interest in medical ethics.

You could do something about brain transplants, perhaps delve into a bit of philosophy about what constitutes the self, stream of consciousness etc. But I'm sure you'll find yourself entangled in medical research regardless of your choice...just ensure it's something that you find interesting and you reckon the tutors will find interesting.
Original post by LanasTea
Hallo!

So I'm thinking of applying to do Medicine at Oxford next year and I've been accepted to do an EPQ at my school. Currently my EPQ idea focuses more on the ethics of medicine. I know Oxford is all about the research (and for medicine, there's a year dedicated to it- no idea about other courses), so would it put me at an advantage if I did something more closely linked to medical research (perhaps for the interview)?

Bearing in mind that I would enjoy doing both types of topic and (strictly speaking) the EPQ doesn't contribute massively to the admissions process.

Thanks!

I think either would be good - just do what you find more interesting.

Original post by knowledgecorruptz
You could do something about brain transplants...

lol. :laugh:
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
My friend's brother, who currently studies medicine at Oxford, said that he had two interviews: one academic and one on ethics. He said they asked him: if you had the choice between the two of them, who would throw of a plane: Hitler or Stalin? He said he'd kill both...leaving the interviewers unimpressed but it shows that such academic institutions have at least some interest in medical ethics.

You could do something about brain transplants, perhaps delve into a bit of philosophy about what constitutes the self, stream of consciousness etc. But I'm sure you'll find yourself entangled in medical research regardless of your choice...just ensure it's something that you find interesting and you reckon the tutors will find interesting.

having an entire interview dedicated to ethics is unusual though, based at least our year, most people have 2 academic interviews per college of which ethics may have come up partly in one of them. That question is totally ridiculous though and i find it hard to believe that a tutor genuinely asked it.

brain transplants?! why? such a ridiculous thing to talk about.
Original post by John Locke
having an entire interview dedicated to ethics is unusual though, based at least our year, most people have 2 academic interviews per college of which ethics may have come up partly in one of them. That question is totally ridiculous though and i find it hard to believe that a tutor genuinely asked it.

brain transplants?! why? such a ridiculous thing to talk about.

Hmmm, it is a ridiculous question but it's seems almost too bizarre for him to have invented post-interview. It might have been because they didn't doubt his academic ability so much (5 A* prediction - an achieved prediction - in maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and french) and so were more interested in other aspects of his personality.

And alright, calm down! I find that stream of conciousness, "what is the self?" stuff quite interesting, personally. I would've thought John Locke would too :wink:
Hi,

I was just wondering what the standard offer for Medicine at Oxford is if you take four A2 subjects (Biology, Chemistry, History and Physics).

(If this has been asked and answered then I apologise - I did not see it)

Muppet Science
Reply 170
Original post by Muppet Science
Hi,

I was just wondering what the standard offer for Medicine at Oxford is if you take four A2 subjects (Biology, Chemistry, History and Physics).

Muppet Science

they usually ask for A*AA, if you're doing 4 they'd probably ask for an A in that too. plus BMAT.
Hi,

Muppet Science

This year I've seen a lot of people get offers of AAA for several courses at Oxford, with almost nobody (Well, I haven't seen anyone) with an offer involving 4 subjects. Perhaps take a look at the 2012 Oxford Stalking Page, people may have updated that with their offers. :smile:
Original post by canŵio
they usually ask for A*AA, if you're doing 4 they'd probably ask for an A in that too. plus BMAT.

Thanks, but to confirm would that be A*AAA then?
Original post by Oromis263
This year I've seen a lot of people get offers of AAA for several courses at Oxford, with almost nobody (Well, I haven't seen anyone) with an offer involving 4 subjects. Perhaps take a look at the 2012 Oxford Stalking Page, people may have updated that with their offers. :smile:

Will do, thank you :smile:
my friend got an offer this year for med and it's AAA in any 3 of her 4 subs, with an A in chem.
Thanks, but to confirm would that be A*AAA then?

You don't need to do 4 at A2; they don't want you to since their standard offer for Medicine is A*AA. By taking 4 A2 subjects, you're giving the impression to Oxford that you're a conceited smart ass (I'm sure you're not), and that you can handle extra work that most other applicants who are doing 3 A2's cannot. Oxford then respond to this by thinking: 'Let's see if this guy is as smart as he thinks he is, let's make him get an A in the fourth subject', which creates unnecessary work and pressure for you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Flyteryder
You don't need to do 4 at A2; they don't want you to since their standard offer for Medicine is A*AA. By taking 4 A2 subjects, you're giving the impression to Oxford that you're a conceited smart ass (I'm sure you're not), and that you can handle extra work that most other applicants who are doing 3 A2's cannot. Oxford then respond to this by thinking: 'Let's see if this guy is as smart as he thinks he is, let's make him get an A in the fourth subject', which creates unnecessary work and pressure for you.

No, they don't do that... This year the standard offer for Medicine was AAA as well. Ultimately, most people take 4 A2s (or more), not because they want to show off, but because they actually enjoy them. I chose not to drop Chemistry because I actually thought it was quite interesting! It never hurts to learn more things. :smile:
Original post by Oromis263
No, they don't do that... This year the standard offer for Medicine was AAA as well. Ultimately, most people take 4 A2s (or more), not because they want to show off, but because they actually enjoy them. I chose not to drop Chemistry because I actually thought it was quite interesting! It never hurts to learn more things. :smile:

It's happened to 3 people in my school who applied for Oxford, not for Medicine though. They now have to get an A in their fourth A2.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Flyteryder
It's happened to 3 people in my school who applied for Oxford, not for Medicine though. They know have to get an A in their fourth A2.

That's pretty non-standard this year, they've given out mostly AAA offers (excluding the sciences and maths). Unlucky to those people at your school then eh!
Reply 179
In my education system you have to study 11 mandatory subjects (like 11 A levels), will they understand that if I don't have straight "A*s" (equivalent) it is due to the huge number of subjects, on which I had no choice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending