The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Because they're lower down in the league tables and league tables mean everything. :rolleyes:

I'm so glad I didn't really understand what league tables were when I applied for Uni lol. :awesome:
Reply 81
I'm applying to Manchester Met as well because I am only able to do two A levels because I did rubbish in a couple of subjects last year, but the course I am applying for wants 280 points (psychology) so it will be a tall order to get those points! I think it's basic snobbery simply because they aren't amazingly high in the league tables (who honestly needs them?). For me, your education is about you, and whether you do well and if you enjoy it. So what if some snobs look down on it, it's their issue not yours :smile:
EKR93
I'm applying to Manchester Met as well because I am only able to do two A levels because I did rubbish in a couple of subjects last year, but the course I am applying for wants 280 points (psychology) so it will be a tall order to get those points! I think it's basic snobbery simply because they aren't amazingly high in the league tables (who honestly needs them?). For me, your education is about you, and whether you do well and if you enjoy it. So what if some snobs look down on it, it's their issue not yours :smile:

Lets look at some stats for psychology at Manchester Met.

These will be figures for those graduating in 2008 I think.

By January 2009, 64% were working, 20% were studying further and the rest were either unemployed or out of the labour market.

Of the 64% who were working 38% were in graduate jobs.

That means a little under 1 in 4 of Manchester Met psychology graduates managed to obtain graduate jobs within 6 months of leaving university.
Psychology is a joke subject, lets get a proper, hands on job and compare them.

Vocational>academic.
Reply 84
You're a joke.

In fairness, not a lot of graduates are managing to get jobs, so... I stand by my point, get over yourselves.
I've got into Manchester Uni, studied for a semester, didn't like it. Now I am going to Man met to study what I really enjoy, and I only regret that I didn't apply there last year!
EKR93
You're a joke.

In fairness, not a lot of graduates are managing to get jobs, so... I stand by my point, get over yourselves.

No, you can't get away with that.

The University of Central Lancashire, Preston Poly as was, had 38% in further study and 52% working. Only 10% were unemployed or out of the labour market. Of the 52% working, 56% of these had graduate jobs.

In other words whilst Manchester Met had 56% unemployed or burger flipping, UCLAN had only 39% unemployed or burger flipping.

That is a very big difference for supposedly similar institutions
Reply 87
Nothing wrong with them if you are doing healthcare/other vocational courses. Don't understand why you would do an academic course at them though, it is their money I guess
There is nothing bad about a Met Uni.

I spent 6 months in Kenya and saw first hand some of the worst deprivation there is in this world and I can assure you that for many children there, a place in a Met Uni would be like a ticket to heaven.

People should just appreciate the fact that they even have an opportunity to go University rather than running down someone who is going somewhere that scored less in the league tables. No one care abouts your 2p opinion, abit of humility can go a long way...
Reply 89
nulli tertius
No, you can't get away with that.

The University of Central Lancashire, Preston Poly as was, had 38% in further study and 52% working. Only 10% were unemployed or out of the labour market. Of the 52% working, 56% of these had graduate jobs.

In other words whilst Manchester Met had 56% unemployed or burger flipping, UCLAN had only 39% unemployed or burger flipping.

That is a very big difference for supposedly similar institutions

The way I see it, if you enjoy what you are doing there is nothing wrong with going to a less prestigious university. Who cares if it takes a while for you to get a decent job, it's life, and chances are there are other factors besides the university you went to why those particular people didn't get jobs. It was a recession. I don't see why I'm wasting my time actually, there are many more snobs like yourself trying to put others down because you think you are so fantastic.
Reply 90
EKR93
The way I see it, if you enjoy what you are doing there is nothing wrong with going to a less prestigious university. Who cares if it takes a while for you to get a decent job, it's life, and chances are there are other factors besides the university you went to why those particular people didn't get jobs. It was a recession. I don't see why I'm wasting my time actually, there are many more snobs like yourself trying to put others down because you think you are so fantastic.

Exactly. I'm honest to god so sick of people flinging statistics around as though we're all automatically going to be in the percentage that don't get employed straight away.
And they also don't seem to get that just because people aren't employed straight away, that it won't be that way forever.
And just because people are employed straight away, it doesn't mean that it'll be in a relevant career. For instance I clean at a hospital in order to get my bills paid and stuff, and that means I'll still have a job when I finish my degree. But it's a completely different situation.

People need to actually realise that sometimes they're rubbing the fact that they're going to a "proper" university, under the nose of someone who really couldn't give a ****.
Reply 91
im so academic

Leeds Met:

Spoiler

To be fair Leeds Uni isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing...most of the buildings are concrete eyesores.

(I love it though)
BioSam
To be fair Leeds Uni isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing...most of the buildings are concrete eyesores.

(I love it though)

Tbh, same could be said for UCL and Imperial. :dontknow:
Reply 93
I did my first degree at Leeds Met. I didn't like it much at all but lots of people loved it.

Some lecturers were awful (one even forgot to show up to his own lecture) and they spent a lot of money opening new buildings when, imo, they should have focused on the quality of teaching as there was mutual consensus that it needed to be improved. If I did my first degree again I would spend the same amount of money at a better uni where I knew I would be getting a better learning experience, since you want to get the best degree you can at the end of the day.
Gez1990
Exactly. I'm honest to god so sick of people flinging statistics around as though we're all automatically going to be in the percentage that don't get employed straight away.
And they also don't seem to get that just because people aren't employed straight away, that it won't be that way forever.
And just because people are employed straight away, it doesn't mean that it'll be in a relevant career. For instance I clean at a hospital in order to get my bills paid and stuff, and that means I'll still have a job when I finish my degree. But it's a completely different situation.

People need to actually realise that sometimes they're rubbing the fact that they're going to a "proper" university, under the nose of someone who really couldn't give a ****.

This :yep:
Reply 95
I'm goin MMU this year. I was going to go Keele, but i didn't like the location because it was really isolated! Despite MMU being an ex-poly, i don't care. I had no choice because i have to come back home every weekend to help my parents shop. If I didn't have to come back every week, I would have gone to a different uni.
EKR93

Gez1990

Firstly, I haven't referred to the prestige of Manchester Met at all. The statistics I have quoted have been about employability. If you had read my statistics carefully you would see that I have been distinguishing graduate jobs from other sorts of employment. Many statistics on student employment fail to do so.

The comparison over employability I have drawn is between Manchester Met and its peers such as UCLAN. I am not comparing it with Oxbridge or the Ivy League but with another ex-Poly down the road. I am certainly not trying to put you down but I am raising the very serious question of why Manchester Met is doing much more poorly than other comparable institutions. You say that they may be other factors besides the university why more people get jobs at UCLAN than Manchester Met. Is the water better in Preston than Manchester?
nulli tertius
Firstly, I haven't referred to the prestige of Manchester Met at all. The statistics I have quoted have been about employability. If you had read my statistics carefully you would see that I have been distinguishing graduate jobs from other sorts of employment. Many statistics on student employment fail to do so.

The comparison over employability I have drawn is between Manchester Met and its peers such as UCLAN. I am not comparing it with Oxbridge or the Ivy League but with another ex-Poly down the road. I am certainly not trying to put you down but I am raising the very serious question of why Manchester Met is doing much more poorly than other comparable institutions. You say that they may be other factors besides the university why more people get jobs at UCLAN than Manchester Met. Is the water better in Preston than Manchester?

You have too much time.
Reply 98
Gez1990

Maybe one gloats about the fact that they went to a "proper" university compared to others who didn't because it reassures them and psychologically places them in a position where they feel superior and more likely to succeed in their career.
Reply 99
People who go to 'proper' (?) universities are very insecure then if they need to do that to other people.

Latest

Trending

Trending