The Student Room Group

Help with choosing my A-levels...

Hi,

I'm deciding my A-levels at the moment and I have no idea what to pick! In my gcses I got 2 A*s, 4 As and 3bs...
I'm not really sure as to what I want to be in the future... maybe teaching english/english literature or something within the medicine side. To be honest, I wanted to be a doctor but alot happened during my GCSE's - my grandma passed away and my mum was seriously ill, so i didn't do as well as I wanted to.
Teaching has always been a back up but I still want to keep my options open.

Im considering picking

English Literature
Maths
Chemistry
Biology

OR

English Literature
Maths
Chemistry
History

I think some unis, for medicine want chemistry and either maths, biology or physics.

Basically for medicine, what A-levels should I pick bearing in mind that teaching english/english literature is my back up.

And sorry for rambling on...
Reply 1
I've taken both Chemistry and English Literature, and I'll warn you now that these courses are the hardest ones, both in terms of learning the course and workload.

It depends which subject you're going to drop for A2, if at all. All of the universities I've seen wanted Chemistry and one other science for medicine, so either track will be alright for that if you plan to drop History.

Sometimes mixing science and arts doesn't work. I'd say take the first option, and at the end of AS review if you want to be a doctor or English teacher and take it from there.

Latest