The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
the problem with cannibalism is that you can gain a taste for human flesh so you could get people killing other humans to eat more human flesh, that is why it is a frowned upon idea naturally in most communities
Kaykiie
I don't really know :s-smilie: I mean you don't often hear about animals of the same species eating each other do you? (I'm not 100% on this so before anybody jumps on me, if I'm wrong and lions are always eating other lions or sharks are eating other sharks, then I apologise).

For me I can't even stand the sight of blood (it makes me feel faint) so thinking about people slicing off pieces of themselves for others to eat makes me feel sick. It's probably because I can imagine it happening to me (being a human being) and I imagine it's not nice, whereas I can't really empathise with animals (I don't know how they think or process pain etc so I can't see it from their side).

Chimpanzee's often practice cannibalism, they actually showed it happening on a nature show, it was pretty disturbing to watch. Maybe even more surprising is that quite a few human tribes have (I'm pretty sure still do) practice cannibalism as a sort of ritualistic mourning of their relatives and others do it as a show of ultimate victory over their enemies. I doubt when people say they want to donate parts towards this, apparently fictional, restuarant that they mean doing it while they're still alive. I imagined it to be much more like organ donation, you know, when you die they'll take whatever you said they could take...except with parts of the body that aren't really important. It does turn the stomach, I just can't figure out whyyy, I think there are problem a lot of complicated reasons to do with how it's seen as an animalistic or primitive thing to do and we westerners think we're better than that! I'm certain there's no easy answer though, the reasons why we don't do it don't seem to be as clear cut as people make them out to be.
Reply 82
galadriel100
Rep to anyone who can find the original article on Spiegel.de, because I'm sure it's all rubbish.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,713954,00.html

It was on the first page on google, didn't you search for it?

While the advertisements and some resulting complaints from members of the public were real enough, as the article reported, there is no confirmation at present that a so-called "cannibal restaurant" in Berlin is anything other than imaginary.

Guardian website
Reply 83
You Failed
Chimpanzee's often practice cannibalism, they actually showed it happening on a nature show, it was pretty disturbing to watch. Maybe even more surprising is that quite a few human tribes have (I'm pretty sure still do) practice cannibalism as a sort of ritualistic mourning of their relatives and others do it as a show of ultimate victory over their enemies. I doubt when people say they want to donate parts towards this, apparently fictional, restuarant that they mean doing it while they're still alive. I imagined it to be much more like organ donation, you know, when you die they'll take whatever you said they could take...except with parts of the body that aren't really important.

Ahh right (that's why I explained that I didn't know that for sure, I was bound to be wrong :p:)

Ohhh, that makes it a bit less :yucky: (only a little), I was imagining people having slices of their skin taken off :confused: Although now that I think about it, that was a silly assumption to make :p:
You Failed
Chimpanzee's often practice cannibalism, they actually showed it happening on a nature show, it was pretty disturbing to watch. Maybe even more surprising is that quite a few human tribes have (I'm pretty sure still do) practice cannibalism as a sort of ritualistic mourning of their relatives and others do it as a show of ultimate victory over their enemies. I doubt when people say they want to donate parts towards this, apparently fictional, restuarant that they mean doing it while they're still alive. I imagined it to be much more like organ donation, you know, when you die they'll take whatever you said they could take...except with parts of the body that aren't really important.

The problem with cannibalism is that it leads to the development of diseases like Kuru, and BSE in cattle, which I'm sure you'd agree are pretty unpleasant. I'd imagine that this is the reason humans have evolved to view cannibalism as taboo.
Kaykiie
Ahh right (that's why I explained that I didn't know that for sure, I was bound to be wrong :p:) :p:

Oops sorry, I had edited my post a bit after you'd quoted me! It doesn't make much difference to your reply though.

medbh4805
The problem with cannibalism is that it leads to the development of diseases like Kuru, and BSE in cattle, which I'm sure you'd agree are pretty unpleasant. I'd imagine that this is the reason humans have evolved to view cannibalism as taboo.

Does this not only occur if you eat certain parts, like the brain?
Reply 86
You Failed
Oops sorry, I had edited my post a bit after you'd quoted me! It doesn't make much difference to your reply though.

I noticed and altered my reply accordingly :smile:
Reply 87
You Failed
Chimpanzee's often practice cannibalism, they actually showed it happening on a nature show, it was pretty disturbing to watch. Maybe even more surprising is that quite a few human tribes have (I'm pretty sure still do) practice cannibalism as a sort of ritualistic mourning of their relatives and others do it as a show of ultimate victory over their enemies. I doubt when people say they want to donate parts towards this, apparently fictional, restuarant that they mean doing it while they're still alive. I imagined it to be much more like organ donation, you know, when you die they'll take whatever you said they could take...except with parts of the body that aren't really important. It does turn the stomach, I just can't figure out whyyy, I think there are problem a lot of complicated reasons to do with how it's seen as an animalistic or primitive thing to do and we westerners think we're better than that! I'm certain there's no easy answer though, the reasons why we don't do it don't seem to be as clear cut as people make them out to be.

Just a quick thought...

There are so many films (The Hills Have Eyes, Wrong Turn, Various Zombie films, Hannibal etc) that portray eating human meat as disgusting and taboo, possibly a factor in people's reactions?

There is obviously something not right about it, but these films portray those doing the action as either disgusting inbreds or psychopaths, both of which are feared by the general public. By eating human flesh, you are opening yourself up to being compared to these types of people (or characters).

Just a thought :smile:
You Failed

I've looked at a few articles on Kuru, and they all describe the brain as being the most infectious part of the body. Put it this way: would you take the chance?
delicious...NOT...speaking of food, i feel like having some ice-cream right now
Rep to anyone who can find the original article on Spiegel.de, because I'm sure it's all rubbish.
wow.
Kaykiie
Just a quick thought...

There are so many films (The Hills Have Eyes, Wrong Turn, Various Zombie films, Hannibal etc) that portray eating human meat as disgusting and taboo, possibly a factor in people's reactions?

There is obviously something not right about it, but these films portray those doing the action as either disgusting inbreds or psychopaths, both of which are feared by the general public. By eating human flesh, you are opening yourself up to being compared to these types of people (or characters).

Just a thought :smile:

I think while it's certainly a factor in how people perceive the idea of someone who is a cannibal i.e they do stereotype them as the insane Hannibal Lecter type or of some crazy psychopathic, you should also remember that horror films do not dictate the things that you fear or are disgusted by, they rely on things people already fear or find disgusting. So with that being said, people must already find the idea of being a cannibal repulsive and insane in order for the movies to invoke a reaction, so while I think movies can enhance the idea, they don't create it. I'd say people would still associate the act as something done only by someone who is insane, even without the movies, as to act upon something so frowned upon in society people are likely to then conclude you're not normal and thus must be insane/psychopathic etc etc

medbh4805
I've looked at a few articles on Kuru, and they all describe the brain as being the most infectious part of the body. Put it this way: would you take the chance?

Aha, no, I would not but even if it was only the brain, I don't think that would make any other part of the body any more appealing! However, pointing out that the brain is only the most infectious part thus implying other parts are also infectious does not mean that other parts are not safe, it could be that the infection rate from eating the other parts are so low that it could be considered safe. There seems to be only one widely cited case of widespread infection from cannibalism and that was in a tribe in Papa New Guinea, I know that there are other tribes that do pratice cannibalism and they seem to be okay, which makes me question the infection rate. It's a point I was previously aware of but I had assumed that it was only the brain and upon doing a brief search upon why cannibalism is such an ingrained taboo I haven't seen disease being mentioned, which again makes me question the infection rate. That being said as long as the infection rate is not zero then you have a valid point.
Reply 93
You Failed
I think while it's certainly a factor in how people perceive the idea of someone who is a cannibal i.e they do stereotype them as the insane Hannibal Lecter type or of some crazy psychopathic, you should also remember that horror films do not dictate the things that you fear or are disgusted by, they rely on things people already fear or find disgusting. So with that being said, people must already find the idea of being a cannibal repulsive and insane in order for the movies to invoke a reaction, so while I think movies can enhance the idea, they don't create it. I'd say people would still associate the act as something done only by someone who is insane, even without the movies, as to act upon something so frowned upon in society people are likely to then conclude you're not normal and thus must be insane/psychopathic etc etc

Aha, no, I would not but even if it was only the brain, I don't think that would make any other part of the body any more appealing! However, pointing out that the brain is only the most infectious part thus implying other parts are also infectious does not mean that other parts are not safe, it could be that the infection rate from eating the other parts are so low that it could be considered safe. There seems to be only one widely cited case of widespread infection from cannibalism and that was in a tribe in Papa New Guinea, I know that there are other tribes that do pratice cannibalism and they seem to be okay, which makes me question the infection rate. It's a point I was previously aware of but I had assumed that it was only the brain and upon doing a brief search upon why cannibalism is such an ingrained taboo I haven't seen disease being mentioned, which again makes me question the infection rate. That being said as long as the infection rate is not zero then you have a valid point.

Yeah, I didn't think about that.

When I first read the OP and the thread, I just thought how disgusting it is. Now though, like you, I wonder why that it is looked upon in that way. It is quite interesting as a subject (but still totally :yucky: to me, just in case people think that me saying that = me accepting cannibalism).
Kaykiie
Yeah, I didn't think about that.

When I first read the OP and the thread, I just thought how disgusting it is. Now though, like you, I wonder why that it is looked upon in that way. It is quite interesting as a subject (but still totally :yucky: to me, just in case people think that me saying that = me accepting cannibalism).

Oh no I agree, I hardly think it sounds like most fantastic thing in the world either, it makes me feel slightly ill trying to do any research about it in order to see why it's taboo, although, people reading my posts will probably think I love the idea or something... But yeah, it's certainly very interesting.
Probably best not to tell your friends about that, you might find that they'll start distancing themselves from you quite quickly =P
galadriel100

This possibly? Haven't found anything else yet.
You Failed

It's worth noting that Kuru was only identified in the 1950s - perhaps the reason that Kuru was only found in Papua New Guinea was because it's the only region where Cannibalism was still practised on a large scale?

According to this, there is evidence to suggest prions can be passed on by eating meat infected by BSE:
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/mad_cow_disease_and_variant_creutzfeldt-jakob_dis/article_em.htm
Seeing as BSE and Kuru are both prion diseases it would suggest that Kuru can be passed on in meat too, although this isn't made explicit in articles about it.
Reply 98
:lolwut:
Pfft, would probably taste like chicken once you've put a bit of ketchup on

Latest

Trending

Trending