The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

jimbo139
I agree. It's a crap article. they've picked examples apparently at random and provide no evidence that these are the worst places. Air pollutants related to traffic are highest in urban areas? No ****.

www.blacksmithinstitute.org/top10/10worst1.pdf
the other placces werent that shocking :s:
Interesting, I just googled it and saw a ferris wheel. Even so the place gives me the creeps just looking at it.

It's been a complete ghost town since chernobyl. I wanna go there just to have a nose around
London isn't that bad! :rolleyes:

The worst it gets is on muggy hot days when it gets a bit fumey or on the Tube. I'm surprised the Tube isn't on the list (if it even could be) it is revolting.
Reply 64
grt
You're not gagging for air? Go to the countryside, take just a moment to breathe, feel it, experience it. Then come back and tell me you're not restrained in your ability to breathe when being in London.

It's by far the worst air I've ever experienced - in Europe and even in the major Asian cities I've been to (no Russia, India or China yet, though - I do believe that it's [far] worse there).

And, yes, you have a lot of dirt, dust and worse in your nostrils after walking around in London for a few hours. Fortunately, there are vibrissae.

And, no, I'm not a tree-hugger, spiritualist or similar strange person.

I live at the edge of Birmingham, near Frankley, which is for all intents and purposes the beginning of the green belt. When I go to London I have no trouble breating dont get 'London nose,' etc. The only difference is the smell.

As a side note, does anybody else really like the smell of the tube lines? As in, the oily smell on the platforms, or am I just odd? :P
iced_dragon_agility
I breathe fine in London :dontknow:

this, haven't died yet, it's been 18 years :yep:
Was the guy with the sign protesting? lol
Not that suprised.
Reply 67
River85
I'm generally quite a sensitive person to all sorts of things (air quality, noise, light...) and I was brought up in the countryside/a semi rural village.

I stil think people are exaggerating the difference. I'm not saying there isn't a difference at all. Some parts of London, I'm thinking Euston Road and around Kings Cross, can still be quite bad for air quality and general scruffiness (as well as noise). But much of London isn't as bad as that. I can sit in Hyde Park, or even Holland Park, quite happily. I say even Holland Park - just because it's smaller and you're closer to a main road - albeit still not the huge volume of traffic that you'll find around Hyde Park.

Even my mother, who as soon as she enters Newcastle city centre will remark on the exhaust fumes (and again, this is relatively clean Newcastle) found London to be not too bad.

The only thing that bothers me about London is noise and it's muggier during the summer nights. But again, it is large city.

Maybe I should move, I've been living next to King's Cross for a year and am living next to Euston now :wink: Oh, night buses are great, especially when there's a bus stop right in front of your window!

Anyway, I agree that there are nicer/fresher places in London, although standing in a park in Cambridge feels completely different from standing in the middle of Regent's Park.
grt
You're not gagging for air? Go to the countryside, take just a moment to breathe, feel it, experience it. Then come back and tell me you're not restrained in your ability to breathe when being in London.

It's by far the worst air I've ever experienced - in Europe and even in the major Asian cities I've been to (no Russia, India or China yet, though - I do believe that it's [far] worse there).

And, yes, you have a lot of dirt, dust and worse in your nostrils after walking around in London for a few hours. Fortunately, there are vibrissae.

And, no, I'm not a tree-hugger, spiritualist or similar strange person.
Tree-hunger, perhaps not, but certainly a fantasist. I could maybe believe that the air quality is barely noticeable, but if you get "dirt" in your nostrils after walking around, there's something wrong with you that isn't down to the city.
Reply 69
Collingwood
Tree-hunger, perhaps not, but certainly a fantasist. I could maybe believe that the air quality is barely noticeable, but if you get "dirt" in your nostrils after walking around, there's something wrong with you that isn't down to the city.

You mean I should stop cramming "dirt" in my nostrils? :rolleyes:
I would have thought Dubai would be there o.o
Reply 71
tieyourmotherdown
Tbh I've never had a problem with the pollution in London, in fact I've never noticed it every time I've visited. :confused:

This.
London isn't that bad tbh.
grt
You mean I should stop cramming "dirt" in my nostrils? :rolleyes:

Come on, central London doesn't even have industry anymore, and any it does is electrically powered. It smells different from a rural area because there are no fields or wildlife, but that's all you'd notice.
Reply 74
LOL, Bandung. I'm shocked; if anything, Jakarta should be top of that list. There's a running joke among many Indonesians saying that if you manage to survive a week in Jakarta without falling ill, you can survive anywhere. :biggrin:
Reply 75
Bit shocked that Mexico city is not on there having been both there and London for lonf periods of time I can say Mexico city is far worse.
Lol at all the people using this as an excuse to hate on London.

Wow. A city being polluted. Shock Horror.

But seriously guys, it's not that bad. There are plenty of other places in the world that are far worse.

Plus, this list seems to have just randomly picked places, they haven't used a common measure to compare them with, just random figures and organisations and I doubt some of those are in the nine most polluted places.
Oh sorry I thought the title was 'You won't believe this list'...
Reply 78
Wait.
Mumbai is NOT there?
Interesting.
Reply 79
DUN DUN DUN- i expected some of them to be there already but yeah- interesting link

Latest

Trending

Trending