The Student Room Group

Has anyone done any of these A-Levels and what did you think?

I start college in two days and i'm pretty sure i'm sticking with my original choices, but just incase i'd like to see what other people have thought of them, as a levels are supposedly very different to GCSEs. I have chosen:

History (AQA)
Maths (OCR MEI)
Religious Studies (AQA)
Chemistry (AQA)

and i have to do general studies too, but i don't really care about that. So yeah, what are your thoughts on these? Thanks :smile:
I did maths on OCR (not MEI) and struggled at first, but then got into it more and did a lot better. I suppose this would have been the case across all of the exam boards.
Reply 2
I don't know about AQA, but for OCR Religious Studies is a bitch, and yes...yes it is very different to GCSE. It shouldn't even be called the same thing.
Reply 3
All fine reputable A-Levels.
Reply 4
Cicerao
I don't know about AQA, but for OCR Religious Studies is a bitch, and yes...yes it is very different to GCSE. It shouldn't even be called the same thing.

I didn't do it as gcse, so i won't really be able to compare. how is it different? if it helps, i think we're doing the philosophy and ethics modules :smile:
Reply 5
I do Edexcel Religious Studies.

I found it really enjoyable and interesting at AS Level, yet it can be quite challanging.
Reply 6
moleman3
I didn't do it as gcse, so i won't really be able to compare. how is it different? if it helps, i think we're doing the philosophy and ethics modules :smile:

GCSE: Why is the Bible important to Christians? (8 mark paragraph)

A2: To what extent can it be maintained that a literal interpretation of Scripture removes all danger of human error? (45 mark analytical essay)

kinda thing.
Reply 7
GCSE is much more based on "traditional religion" such as Why do Christians do this...?

At A Level, it is far more interesting. Our course is based upon Philosophy and Ethics. Why do evil and suffering exist? Does God exist? How do you decide what is the right thing to do? etc...

Latest