The Student Room Group

The Manchester City Society II

Scroll to see replies

We should start a prediction game for Manchester City.

On their next televised League game, how many minutes will pass before the tv pictures show either Liam or Noel Gallagher in the crowd.

I'll start with 16 minutes.
Reply 5841
Original post by jam277
Was it, you had Spurs, Martin O'Neills Villa side and then you had United's best ever side, Liverpool under Rafa, Everton under Moyes etc.

It wasn't a lot easier, if anything it was harder as the top sides were much stronger then and were more likely to pick up loads of points. An 8 point gap then is harder to catch up to now. Although if City get knocked out early they have a big advantage.

Were the top sides stronger then bar Utd? Arsenal had a good season but overall were a poverty team, City didn't even exist as a top club, Man Utd were obviously a lot stronger but that is all. Everton and Liverpool have declined since then but the quality throughout the league (right down to relegation teams) has improved massively imo, gaining Swansea and Southampton out of no where who could give anybody a game, and lets not forget 07/08 was the year of Derby - look at the promoted teams this time around. The league is ridiculously strong throughout now, except for at the very top where comparatively the two top teams are a lot worse than in 07/08.
Original post by mhsc
Were the top sides stronger then bar Utd? Arsenal had a good season but overall were a poverty team, City didn't even exist as a top club, Man Utd were obviously a lot stronger but that is all. Everton and Liverpool have declined since then but the quality throughout the league (right down to relegation teams) has improved massively imo, gaining Swansea and Southampton out of no where who could give anybody a game, and lets not forget 07/08 was the year of Derby - look at the promoted teams this time around. The league is ridiculously strong throughout now, except for at the very top where comparatively the two top teams are a lot worse than in 07/08.

Yeah but surely that makes it harder for teams to maintain a lead at the top nowadays as there are teams capable of causing an upset rather than back then(where 4th place got 76 points). Arsenal I'd say are the same as they were in 08 currently, weaker first 11 but better depth nowadays.

Back then it was similar to la liga with the top 4 clubs, the entire point I am making is that with the league back then being so tough at the top(which you agree with) to be able to catch up.
De Bruyne is a great option for City to boast away from home. He'll offer something different to Navas, and will suit trips on the road more than the Spaniard you'd imagine.

A ridiculous fee, so long after he was sold for a paltry (in comparison) sum by Chelsea. I'm intrigued into whether Mourinho's assertions that he didn't have the strength of character or mentality to succeed in the PL is true, though.
Highly doubt they were true and Mou sold him to raise funds to keep in line for FFP. Same thing with Mata. He targeted those players and once he found his starting 11(and the fact that De Bruyne didn't have a lot of pace) Mou got rid of him.

Either way selling both him and Mata in the same window was a complete mistake, one of the two should have been kept, De Bruyne I would have kept.
De Bruyne wanted to be pretty much guaranteed a starting spot which we couldn't offer at the time which is why he was sold (and FFP). Given his performance last season and his price tag he'll have that at City.

If it wasn't a WC year we would have probably kept him (or maybe Mata) at least until the summer, and with the way Oscar's form dropped in the last few months of the season he would have secured a spot in the starting XI. Would have gone some ways to make a difference in results like the 0-0 West Ham or 0-1 loss to Palace which cost us the title too.
(edited 8 years ago)
With Scott Sinclair scoring for fun at Villa, you've got to wonder whether a big team like City will make a move for him.
http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/

Explains why Man City can spend so much this summer.

As soon as Man City work out a way to get their match day income to 100mil+, they will make their revenues higher than Man Utd..
All eyes on Selhurst Park for me on Saturday, until the match at Old Trafford anyway.

Both teams have had wins over Mourinho this season, and you'd imagine that if anybody can throw the cat among the pigeons and ruffle some feathers at City currently, it's Pardew and his Palace side.

I hope de Bruyne is deployed, because I can see him being a really good acquisition for Pellegrini away from home.
Will KDB start? Please tell me he will.
Nah.

Hart, Sagna, Kompany, Mangala, Kolarov, Fernandinho, Toure, Nasri, Navas, Bony, Aguero
Wolfsburg's director of sport Klaus Allofs has revealed that Kevin de Bruyne is earning four times as much with Manchester City as he was getting at the Bundesliga club.

The Belgian moved to City for £55m and Allofs told Die Welt newspaper: "When a player comes to you with an offer from a club willing to pay him four times as much as he is already earning, then you've got to consider what's going through his head.

"We had looked for a solution which would have allowed us to keep hold of him for at least another year, but when that was not possible, it was clear that we would sell him.

"Nobody could guarantee him that he would receive the same offer again."

:eek:
Reply 5854
Original post by Zerforax
Wolfsburg's director of sport Klaus Allofs has revealed that Kevin de Bruyne is earning four times as much with Manchester City as he was getting at the Bundesliga club.

The Belgian moved to City for £55m and Allofs told Die Welt newspaper: "When a player comes to you with an offer from a club willing to pay him four times as much as he is already earning, then you've got to consider what's going through his head.

"We had looked for a solution which would have allowed us to keep hold of him for at least another year, but when that was not possible, it was clear that we would sell him.

"Nobody could guarantee him that he would receive the same offer again."

:eek:

Are you surprised? I'm only surprised that City are so bad in Europe. I don't really understand that.
Original post by llys
Are you surprised? I'm only surprised that City are so bad in Europe. I don't really understand that.

Well 4x salary is insane.

Maybe it's Pellegrini who needs to be sacked? They should hire a proper cup manager like Rafa :colondollar:
Reply 5856
Original post by Zerforax
Well 4x salary is insane.

It is, and it is also above the threshold, you know, where it shouldn't matter any more, but for City it does seem pretty normal now.

Maybe it's Pellegrini who needs to be sacked? They should hire a proper cup manager like Rafa :colondollar:

Probably, though Pellegrini did comparatively well in the Champions League with smaller clubs, didn't he?
Also, I like him. I think he's classy. :colondollar:
Original post by llys
It is, and it is also above the threshold, you know, where it shouldn't matter any more, but for City it does seem pretty normal now.

Probably, though Pellegrini did comparatively well in the Champions League with smaller clubs, didn't he?
Also, I like him. I think he's classy. :colondollar:

Well they have their dodgy deals to inflate their revenues so I guess they can afford it.

I think he punched above par with Villarreal and Malaga. For some reason Man City aren't as good as they should be on paper..
Manchester City have posted a net profit for the first time since Sheikh Mansour bought the club in 2008.

The Premier League leaders' annual financial figures show they made a profit of £10.7m in the 2014-15 season.

That is despite having to pay some £16m in fines for failing to meet Uefa's Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations.

City, who posted a loss of £22.9m during the 2013-14 season, saw annual revenue grow for the seventh straight year - to £351.8m.

It is the first time the club's revenue has broken the £350m barrier.

Despite match day revenue falling last season, largely due to the club's early exit from the League Cup and ongoing stadium improvements, City say the club is now valued at £676m.

"The 2014-15 season marked a historic step in Manchester City's journey," said chief executive Ferran Soriano.
"The club delivered annual profit for the first time since its acquisition in 2008, while continuing to compete at the top of the Premier League and in the Champions League."

He added: "Manchester City is now a profitable, self-sustainable club competing at the highest level in world football.
"But we will never be happy with a season without trophies. The priority and the focus of our work is to convert more of these opportunities into titles in the years ahead."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34531770
Hello
I am a Belgian student of Journalism. I write for a news site which focuses on students. I want to make an article about the Manchester derby of next weekend. I am looking for a students club who are unite in their love for one of the manchester teams. My intention is to show how football (and this derby) lives among students. I wonder if you could help me out.

Thanks for your attention and time
Maxim

Quick Reply

Latest