The Student Room Group

The Manchester City Society II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6300
Man City Fifa 20 rating prediction:
5-star, 88 attack, 87 midfield, 83 defence
Best players: Aguero (90), KDB (89), Sterling (88), Sane (87), Ederson (87)
Agree?
Was wondering if we had one of these somewhere. Yes but not used for a while. The OP is a veritable time capsule! :rofl:
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Was wondering if we had one of these somewhere. Yes but not used for a while. The OP is a veritable time capsule! :rofl:

The logo, as well as the players discussed are from a time long gone, yes!
A Manchester City Society exists? and it is already the second one?! the fan base is growing faster than I expected.
You do wonder what Man City can do to grow their fan base. They might be getting some more new sponsors (ignoring the dodgy Abu Dhabi fake funded sponsorships) but they've had tons of success over a decade and their fan base is still non-existant.
Original post by Zerforax
You do wonder what Man City can do to grow their fan base. They might be getting some more new sponsors (ignoring the dodgy Abu Dhabi fake funded sponsorships) but they've had tons of success over a decade and their fan base is still non-existant.

City may the best example that tons of success is not a guarantee for a great and growing fan base, as long as identification is missing.
If their success was organic like United, Arsenal or Liverpool were in the past then they would get a bigger following but it's more difficult to buy in to a club which relies on handouts from oligarchs/arab states owners. Apart from De Bruyne, they never did really have a popular player that attracted fans, Chelsea atleast had players with global appeal like Drogba to attract fanbases from Africa but Man City don't really have a player of that popularity.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by samir12
If their success was organic like United, Arsenal or Liverpool were in the past then they would get a bigger following but it's more difficult to buy in to a club which relies on handouts from oligarchs/arab states owners. Apart from De Bruyne, they never did really have a popular player that attracted fans, Chelsea atleast had players with global appeal like Drogba to attract fanbases from Africa but Man City don't really have a player of that popularity.

Also before that we literally bought desailly/vialli/gullit/Zola who were household names across Europe before they came to Chelsea. We literally had the current Liberian president playing for us at one point lmao. That's not even mentioning guys like petit/hasselbaink/gudjohnsen/gallas who were quality too. They'd start for quite a few top 6 sides right now.

I know Kompany technically was bought before the money but he became a household name when Mancini came in. I cannot think of any top top players City bought before they were bought out.

Chelsea back then are literally the equivalent of Spurs being bought out by a mega billionaire, football wise anyway, with more trophies to boot.
(edited 1 year ago)
Chelsea also continued to buy star names (even if they failed) from Crespo, Shevchenko, Torres etc.

Man City no doubt buy good/great players who become better but none were big names before coming.

Haaland is probably the first big name they've signed in years. Even Grealish wasn't that big outside of England.

Which is why I was surprised they didn't push harder to sign one of Messi or C.Ronaldo when they had the chance.
Chelsea also continued to buy star names (even if they failed) from Crespo, Shevchenko, Torres etc.

Man City no doubt buy good/great players who become better but none were big names before coming.

Haaland is probably the first big name they've signed in years. Even Grealish wasn't that big outside of England.

Which is why I was surprised they didn't push harder to sign one of Messi or C.Ronaldo when they had the chance.

I'd say early on with Tevez Toure and Aguero. But outside of that cannot think of many.
Original post by bj27
I'd say early on with Tevez Toure and Aguero. But outside of that cannot think of many.

Agree with Tevez as was big coup to get instead of Man Utd. Yaya Toure was a big name for Barcelona and had won a lot.

Not sure so much about Aguero. Similarly David Silva, where both were touted as becoming the next big thing but it's not like they were a star until they moved to Man City.

I guess Haaland is similar to them in that regard but his profile is already bigger than what Aguero/Silva were when transferred.
Agree with Tevez as was big coup to get instead of Man Utd. Yaya Toure was a big name for Barcelona and had won a lot.

Not sure so much about Aguero. Similarly David Silva, where both were touted as becoming the next big thing but it's not like they were a star until they moved to Man City.

I guess Haaland is similar to them in that regard but his profile is already bigger than what Aguero/Silva were when transferred.

Yeah Aguero I think is getting into FM territory. Though we all know about his partnership with Forlan at the time.
Original post by bj27
Yeah Aguero I think is getting into FM territory. Though we all know about his partnership with Forlan at the time.

A bit like when Liverpool signed Torres - people may have heard of this exciting young player but it wasn't like you were getting a sure thing or a superstar signing. Or more recently like signing Darwin Nunez - big fee, obviously has potential but he's not coming in as a world class / big name (I hadn't really heard of him till the move).

But hey at least Chelsea are signing big names like Sterling. World class player in his prime. He can join in training with Timo Werner of trying to find the barndoor.
Agüero scored 184 goals in 275 premier league matches. That is stunning and just amazing. I don't think that Haaland breaks it. I have a sharp tongue and say that he will not even be close.
Original post by Kallisto
Agüero scored 184 goals in 275 premier league matches. That is stunning and just amazing. I don't think that Haaland breaks it. I have a sharp tongue and say that he will not even be close.

If Haaland stays with Man City for 10 years (like Aguero did) then I'd expect him to break that record. But very few players stay at a club that long these days.
unless cole palmer is going to play a ton i think they need another RW. I would like to see oscar bobb get some time out there too.
If Haaland stays with Man City for 10 years (like Aguero did) then I'd expect him to break that record. But very few players stay at a club that long these days.

Your last sentence nails it. Either he gets even better as football player - what highly likely means that he moves to the next club to get paid a higher wage - or he is injured most of the time and can't play for City. Haaland is a player with potential to world class, but also a risk because of his injuries.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kallisto
Your last sentence nails it. Either he gets even better as football player - what highly likely means that he moves to the next club to get paid a higher wage - or he is injured most of the time and can't play for City. Haaland is a player with potential to world class, but also a risk because of his injuries.

Man City are one of the highest paying clubs in the world - where else is he moving? Maybe only PSG and Real Madrid would be crazy enough (in the longer term) to offer bigger wages.

I'm not aware of any increased risk of injury to Haaland? Don't think he's had issues before. He has two athlete parents (Alf was footballer, mother was heptathlon athlete) so he will be more aware than most of the risks of injury.
Man City are one of the highest paying clubs in the world - where else is he moving? Maybe only PSG and Real Madrid would be crazy enough (in the longer term) to offer bigger wages.

I'm not aware of any increased risk of injury to Haaland? Don't think he's had issues before. He has two athlete parents (Alf was footballer, mother was heptathlon athlete) so he will be more aware than most of the risks of injury.

He does get injured (not significant ones) on a fairly regular basis https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/erling-haaland/verletzungen/spieler/418560

I think that’s mainly to do with his sheer size and the way he plays the game, as opposed to being made of glass.

Edit: looking at the number of games missed over the last 3 seasons, it has gone up each year which is interesting.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mess.
He does get injured (not significant ones) on a fairly regular basis https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/erling-haaland/verletzungen/spieler/418560

I think that’s mainly to do with his sheer size and the way he plays the game, as opposed to being made of glass.

Edit: looking at the number of games missed over the last 3 seasons, it has gone up each year which is interesting.

:colondollar: been put in my place.

Well fingers crossed he's a injury dud! :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest