The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
aliluvschoc
No I don't. I only looked into my own chosen carrier path, Psychology.

I must say you have chosen poorly though. You would have been better off doing History, English Literature and something else.

to tell you the truth i picked language, lit, biology, chemistry. its jus that i ws thinkin of switching biology and chemistry to sumat else like history.
Reply 21
diamondblood1
to tell you the truth i picked language, lit, biology, chemistry. its jus that i ws thinkin of switching biology and chemistry to sumat else like history.

Oh right. It's just the Language/Lit combo that doesn't do you any favours unless you're really looking to go along the English path.
Reply 22
aliluvschoc
Oh right. It's just the Language/Lit combo that doesn't do you any favours unless you're really looking to go along the English path.

Its not lang/lit as joint alevel theyre separate alevels
Reply 23
diamondblood1
Its not lang/lit as joint alevel theyre separate alevels

That's my point. Doing both is really shooting yourself in the foot.
Reply 24
aliluvschoc
That's my point. Doing both is really shooting yourself in the foot.

i loveee english though
Reply 25
aliluvschoc

I agree with this actually, how about swapping one of either lit or lang for history. Keep the sciences. and then this opens up your choices at uni to science as well OP.
Reply 26
helenem
I agree with this actually, how about swapping one of either lit or lang for history. Keep the sciences. and then this opens up your choices at uni to science as well OP.

or drop just one of the sciences for history not both, and keep lit and lang.
Reply 27
SarahIngham
Do what you're interested in!

Because he's interested in the subjects? I imagine most don't have a career path in mind when choosing A levels.

Thank you very much for that, ( he got toldddddddddddd), nah seriously thats exactly what i was thinking , u just spoke my thoughts. Thank you
Reply 28
diamondblood1
i loveee english though

Hmm. In that case I would really look into what an English degree will offer you, and perhaps add a 4th A level (which you could later drop) in a subject like Biology just to keep your options open if you later change your mind.
Reply 29
Imo, you should only do Language and Literature if language is a fourth A level. My boyfriend did what you did, only also with French.

History
English Lit
French
English Lang

Just made him a bit more rounded, and has given him more choice of modules during his English degree. This year he's planning on learning Old Norse.

I did both too, as separate A Levels. Big mistake as I didn't go into an English degree.

I did Politics, English Lit, Geography and English Language. Wish I'd replaced Language with Econ tbh.
diamondblood1
History, english lang, english lit

ANy help is much appreciated

law :smile: i did similar a levels with the intention of studying law at uni and pursuing a career in it
Anonymous1000
law :smile: i did similar a levels with the intention of studying law at uni and pursuing a career in it

What uni are you at now, if i may ask? i'm also taking similar a levels with the intention of becoming a solicitor.
Reply 32
I did the exact the same A Levels, and am now studying English Language & History at uni. There are so many paths that you can do down with English and with History - publishing, journalism, law, teaching, marketing - ANYTHING where a strong grasp of the English language is required. History coincides well, as it allows you to develop your English writing/speaking skills through essays/projects/debates etc. on world affairs - past and present.

The English language is one of the most influential and powerful idioms in the world. If you have demonstrated a strong proficiency and knowledge of the language, you should do well in whatever path you choose to take. But, more often than not, that path is an Arts/Humanities path when it comes to a degree - and there is nothing wrong with that :biggrin:
Reply 33
diamondblood1
History, english lang, english lit

ANy help is much appreciated

I did those exact same A levels and got ABB, maybe AAB after a lit remark. I have a place secured at Southampton for Archaeology, but could also have done History and Politics then gone on to a career in politics.
Aspiringlawstudent
What uni are you at now, if i may ask? i'm also taking similar a levels with the intention of becoming a solicitor.

i'm going into my second year of law at sussex uni
do you know where you want to apply?
Anonymous1000
i'm going into my second year of law at sussex uni
do you know where you want to apply?

I think i have two or three places i definetly want to apply to, not sure about the others.

KCL is my first choice, and BPP law school is a backup. I'm still mulling over others such as QMUL and City.
Aspiringlawstudent
I think i have two or three places i definetly want to apply to, not sure about the others.

KCL is my first choice, and BPP law school is a backup. I'm still mulling over others such as QMUL and City.

have you got your degree already? how comes you're applying for law school?
law
english
Anonymous1000
have you got your degree already? how comes you're applying for law school?

BPP Law School runs an LLB degree as well as professional and postgrad courses
dancer, actor, singer, boxer, musician, tramp

Latest