The Student Room Group

Shall I complain/challenge the fact that there is a lot of female support not male?

As in the uni has a womans officer, and load of support groups and even a feminist society but the uni refuses to allow a mens officer or a male equivalent to a feminist society

They even have their own notice baords around uni, and can get discounts at certain uni items if they are members of certain societies that men arent allowed to join!

How is societies like hat even allowed at a university? I thought they had to be equal within reason and especially since some girls complained last year that there was no girls football team and got one.

Scroll to see replies

Meh, let them have their minute of power.
We all know who makes the world go round.
Don't see why you can't complain...
Though I'm not sure if they'll listen...
Reply 3
Well the whole point of me wanting to complain is the notices on the board pretty much talk about if women have any issues they have someone to turn to.

Thats nice and all but what about the male students especially since I suffer from depression so need help but have no one to turn to!

Noy really complaining that they do have things like a womans officer but that they wont allow a mens one because they think men dont need one!
Meh complain, it's what we Brits do.
Reply 5
if you need a support group then you ARE a woman, man up.
I worked for a charity over the summer and I helped open up a bereaved men's support group. Part of my job was research for the area, and I asked around to other charities, mostly run by women. Every single day I got to hear them bitch about how men shouldn't need support groups and how it make women's groups less meaningful blah blah blah. Sick of it. Their warped views of feminism literally stopped the organisation from achieving its goals of helping people for months.
Complain!! :mob:
But like the other person said, not sure they'll do anything about it.
Reply 8
drbluebox
As in the uni has a womans officer, and load of support groups and even a feminist society but the uni refuses to allow a mens officer or a male equivalent to a feminist society

They even have their own notice baords around uni, and can get discounts at certain uni items if they are members of certain societies that men arent allowed to join!

How is societies like hat even allowed at a university? I thought they had to be equal within reason and especially since some girls complained last year that there was no girls football team and got one.

Everything here is fine, except for that. That is grounds for discrimination, and yes you should complain.

But the reason they have women's societies is that, even today, women are simply discriminated against more than men. It's why we have a gay pride parade, but no straight one. Straight pride is, by default, every week that isn't gay pride. And women's football is kind of necessary, as they can't play competetively against men... Although I personally think it should be restricted to support from oppression, if a men's society is disallowed.

But as I say, if they're not allowing you an equal opportunity for discount based on gender, then that is grounds for complaint. In fact, I think it *technically* may be grounds for complaint if the women's society doesn't let men join. Yes, it's ridiculous, but there we go.
Reply 9
drbluebox

Modern-day Britain welcomes you!
Reply 10
Normally they will get around this by saying anyone can join, even men.

But yes, I would definitely complain. Its discrimination on the grounds of gender and I'm sure there must be laws against it.
Reply 11
jc582
Everything here is fine, except for that. That is grounds for discrimination, and yes you should complain.

But the reason they have women's societies is that, even today, women are simply discriminated against more than men. It's why we have a gay pride parade, but no straight one. Straight pride is, by default, every week that isn't gay pride. And women's football is kind of necessary, as they can't play competetively against men... Although I personally think it should be restricted to support from oppression, if a men's society is disallowed.

But as I say, if they're not allowing you an equal opportunity for discount based on gender, then that is grounds for complaint. In fact, I think it *technically* may be grounds for complaint if the women's society doesn't let men join. Yes, it's ridiculous, but there we go.

Its not my or many mens fault that woman just complain about something if they arent getting somewhere in life and say its mens fault.

Pretty much anytime equality comes into the picture people quickly say "oh but women had and still have it bad therefore whatever support they get is justified" well I guess the general UK female who is like 18 and just left home, going for nights out and having a good time isnt the same as say a woman getting raped in another country due to their religion or beliefs.

I mean when it gets so that a girl can get support because she has broken up with her boyfriend from the uni councillor yet other people who have had a family death and massive family crisis gets told they cant get any support(this isnt due to being male) because there isnt any free appointments due to the people with petty problems then theres a serious issue.

So by getting womens support by default is wrong since most women dont need that support and many men do need support.
drbluebox
Its not my or many mens fault that woman just complain about something if they arent getting somewhere in life and say its mens fault.

Pretty much anytime equality comes into the picture people quickly say "oh but women had and still have it bad therefore whatever support they get is justified" well I guess the general UK female who is like 18 and just left home, going for nights out and having a good time isnt the same as say a woman getting raped in another country due to their religion or beliefs.

I mean when it gets so that a girl can get support because she has broken up with her boyfriend from the uni councillor yet other people who have had a family death and massive family crisis gets told they cant get any support(this isnt due to being male) because there isnt any free appointments due to the people with petty problems then theres a serious issue.

So by getting womens support by default is wrong since most women dont need that support and many men do need support.

Everyone needs support equally. Don't trivialise other people's problems to prove a point.
The problem with men's support groups is that they tend, all too often, to just end up as glorified drinking socs and don't tend to do much supporting.

There is space for genuine men's support groups that discuss and seek to change the masculine identity, but no society that I have seen to date is capable or remotely interested in doing that.
Reply 14
Aphotic Cosmos
The problem with men's support groups is that they tend, all too often, to just end up as glorified drinking socs and don't tend to do much supporting.

There is space for genuine men's support groups that discuss and seek to change the masculine identity, but no society that I have seen to date is capable or remotely interested in doing that.

Why do they need to change it?
Reply 15
You're a man. We don't need support. Women need support because of their periods and hormones and all that.
if you want support for your depression, you can contact the uni councelling service or whatever they have in place. you ******* winge bag.
Aphotic Cosmos

Yeah, this.

I'm a really strong feminist, but I would have nothing against a men's support group. In practicality, however, would it actually work? Or would it just be set up out of spite to the women's group, and would it be purely there to challenge feminist initiatives around campus? Or like Aphotic Cosmos said, would it just end up a glorified drinking soc?

There is certainly room for a men's support group, to discuss masculinity and to deal with male problems. Men often find it more difficult to express themselves than women, or to seek help, or to grieve- or they have issues with parenthood and homosexuality that aren't relevant to women- and this is where a men's support group would be great.

But how accepting would the men be of this kind of group? And how could it be prevented from turning into an anti-feminist group, or a men's 'club'? I think it's up to the men to prove themselves on this issue.
drbluebox
Well the whole point of me wanting to complain is the notices on the board pretty much talk about if women have any issues they have someone to turn to.

Thats nice and all but what about the male students especially since I suffer from depression so need help but have no one to turn to!

Noy really complaining that they do have things like a womans officer but that they wont allow a mens one because they think men dont need one!

Would YOU be willing to start and lead a men's support group? Or do you just want someone else to do it?
Duckelf
Why do they need to change it?

Because at the moment it revolves around a pretty unpleasant stereotype in the UK - be as stupid, drunk, promiscuous and spiteful as possible.

There's little valuation of a positive male identity, simply glorification of some bad ones.

Why should it be bad for a man to be intelligent, compassionate or thoughtful?

Latest

Trending

Trending