The Student Room Group

Media/Film at A level...

Well, I currently do A level media and film, and with all this talk about 'soft' a levels being rejected at uni I'm sortof worried.

I'm going to be applying for Film Production courses at uni's such as UCLan and AUCB.

My grades at AS are ABB, will probably be AAB at a2.

Due to doing both film and me dia I have some stuff for my portfolio as well as having practise screenplays I do in my own time, and I am doing a film specifically for my portfolio.

So the final question: will I really be disadvantaged when both subjects relate to my chosen degree and career choice?
Reply 1
In terms of a media degree? Hell no. It's much better to have done a media/arts subject in my opinion. My course at University of Reading infact required, that if you did Media/Film Studies, that you have at least a B grade in it. All subjects are different dependent on the degree you want to do, doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Biology.. won't give you the same chance to get on one of the better Film/TV/Media courses, against someone that has done well in Arty subjects at A-level. I don't see how it would give you a disadvantage, unless you're going for Law, something un-related to media.
Reply 2
It did strike me as ridiculous, but I wasn't sure seeing as though portfolios/interviews are the key to getting onto the degree course
Reply 3
Nahh definitely an asset. I applied to 2 production courses, and three more.. theoretical (Film Studies) for Uni for this year, and I got an offer for all without an interview. Though I think those you mentioned do tend to interview people, as long as you have a couple of films/script/storyboard, you'll be fine. You can just drop in a few key things you learn from your media A-level (terminology to do with representation, signifiers, semiotics etc)

Latest

Trending

Trending