The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
sulexk
Hello, I was wondering, when fractional distillation of crude oil takes place, the Diesel condenses at around 300 degrees, whereas the petrol condenses at around 150 degrees. So twice the amount of energy is required to produce the diesel, so why does it cost more?

Also diesel has a relatively higher boiling point that petrol, so in terms of combustion, will not it require more energy?

Thank you!

3 seconds of googling:

http://www.petrolprices.com/why-diesel-costs-more-than-petrol.html

This article should answer your question.
Reply 2
I dont know the inns and outs, but it would seem petrol is in greater demand, greater demand - especially with restricted supply - pushes up price.
Reply 3
goldsilvy
3 seconds of googling:

http://www.petrolprices.com/why-diesel-costs-more-than-petrol.html

This article should answer your question.

Question asks why diesel is cheaper, quote answers why diesel is more costly.
Reply 4
which actually doesnt make sense given that diesel is normally more expensive...

/confused face
DaddyT

I thought diesel did cost more. So maybe the OP is mistaken.
Reply 6
It costs about 2-4p more than petrol where I live?!!
Reply 7
Used to be cheaper than petrol a few years ago and still is in some eu countries.

the production cost is dwarved by tax. iirc the government made reduced tax on diesel to encourage diesel cars... then when it worked they put it back up again.
Reply 8
Taxes (government control in economic term :wink: )... Diesel is cheaper than petrol in France...
Reply 9
DaddyT

Diesel isn't cheaper thats the thing...
Reply 10
Jampolo
Diesel isn't cheaper thats the thing...

aye, please see my post directly under the one you quoted.
Reply 11
sulexk
Hello, I was wondering, when fractional distillation of crude oil takes place, the Diesel condenses at around 300 degrees, whereas the petrol condenses at around 150 degrees. So twice the amount of energy is required to produce the diesel, so why does it cost more?

Also diesel has a relatively higher boiling point that petrol, so in terms of combustion, will not it require more energy?

Thank you!
Firstly, something which is at 300 degrees does not contain twice the energy of something at 150 degrees.

Secondly, in the distillation process, the same energy is essentially applied to both- the oil is heated to say 600 degrees and then left to condense. Petrol is actually more expensive to produce (to my knowledge) because it requires further refining and anti-knocking agents to be added. Diesel is a cruder fuel and is cheaper to produce as a result.

Diesel does require more energy and more oxygen to burn fully, but it also releases more energy and the engines are more efficient. I believe the reason diesel is actually more expensive than petrol at the pump is because there is a higher tax on it as it's more efficient per-mile than petrol, so motorists have to buy less of it.
Reply 12
Diesel costs more than petrol (in the UK anyway - or at least, everywhere I've been it does). Although, diesel is cheaper in the sense it's more efficient.
Reply 13
Course there's 'Red diesel' that's untaxed and about 70p/ litre retail. You're in a lot of trouble if they catch you using it in a road car though.

FWIW I also think ASDA was politely requested by the VAT man to increase the price of it's value vegetable oil cos people were starting to use it as vehicle fuel.
Reply 14
Tax.

Now the real question is why is this thread in A Levels forum haha.
Pedus
Tax.

Now the real question is why is this thread in A Levels forum haha.

Haha yeah true.

The prices of petrol and diesel fluctuate all the time, and I mean ALL the time. In a weeks time diesel may be more expensive than petrol. In fact, where I live (near Bath) diesel IS more expensive than petrol. It depends on so many factors, notably which one's in demand the most, how much the oil retailers are having to pay for it at the time, tax etc. The actual method of producing usable petrol or deisel doesn't effect the cost all that much.
Reply 16
James Carter
Haha yeah true.

The prices of petrol and diesel fluctuate all the time, and I mean ALL the time. In a weeks time diesel may be more expensive than petrol. In fact, where I live (near Bath) diesel IS more expensive than petrol. It depends on so many factors, notably which one's in demand the most, how much the oil retailers are having to pay for it at the time, tax etc. The actual method of producing usable petrol or deisel doesn't effect the cost all that much.

yeaaa. without tax, the price of petrol would be like 50p per litre or something around that... stupid government.
Reply 17
In dubai diesel is twice the petrol's price !!
Reply 18
Diesel costs more than gas in the US as well.
Reply 19
Howard
Diesel costs more than gas in the US as well.

Gas: the state of matter distinguished from the solid and liquid by relatively low density and viscosity; relatively great expansion and contraction with changes in pressure and temperature; the ability to diffuse readily; and the spontaneous tendency to become distributed uniformly

Latest