The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Maestromatica12
Two quick questions - I've checked through the main threads just in case but sorry if either of has already been answered. (Better to be asking them now than after the application's been sent off!)

(a) Say you're studying for an A-level as standard, you've got a cashed-in AS-level and you've carried on, ready to do the A2 modules in Jan/June 2011. You're resitting one module from the AS alongside the A2 modules and so you've got to declare this on the application - fair enough.

You enter:
- the cashed-in AS-level with overall grade and 2/3 module grades as one qualification,
- a new pending AS-level with the one module you're resitting as pending, and finally
- the pending A-level - with the AS module you're resitting as pending, the grades of the other AS modules you're NOT resitting, and the 2/3 A2 modules yet to be sat as pending.

Am I correct? It seems like a lot of repetition but I'm aware that's generally the case - I'd really appreciate it if someone could point out if any part of it is wrong though.

(b) Next question, and an easier one too probably - if an AS-level has NOT been cashed-in (though you are carrying the subject on to A2) do you still enter it as a separate qualification to the A-level and put both as pending for June 2011, OR do you only enter the pending A-level with the AS grades and pending A2 units on that? (Probably the former, but again, I'd be really grateful if someone could just clarify this.)

Thanks.
(a) Yes (b) depends if you plan to cash in the AS as well as the full A level; if you do then you enter them as separate pending qualifications.
Minerva
(a) Yes (b) depends if you plan to cash in the AS as well as the full A level; if you do then you enter them as separate pending qualifications.

Great, thanks very much for that. :smile:
On my ucas application

I am applying for economics at uni

At AS I acheived:

A - Economics
A - Geography
A - History
C - Maths - shock

carrying on eco, geog and history to A2

I have high UMS scores and A in every module in economics, geography and history but messed up the maths a bit

So I am wondering whether to include module grades for the 3 subjects I am taking onto A2 and not the maths OR include all module including maths (B,C,C) OR no module grades at all

I am in two minds about this and whether it will look dodgy if I include my module grades for every subject but maths

Any advice on what would be best for my application?
Minerva
Don't be silly.

Very much appreciated, thanks for that, just really worried I'll screw up get no offers and will have to wait another year which isnt really an option for me. I'll take that advice.
Reply 184
Hi..
I too have this problem when applying through UCAS. I just did my AS exams last June and achieved ABBCD. I am re-taking two modules in Biology to bring my D up to an A (because my other module was a very high B) and re-taking two modules in Math (to bring up my C to a B or an A). On the education section of UCAS, my teacher told me to just say that I am re-taking 2 modules and write my overall grade for each subject.

However, I want UCAS to know I got an A in one of my Math modules so the universities know what I am capable of. At the same time, even though I want to show them my module scores, I dont want them to know about the U I got in one of my biology modules although I was 2 marks off an A in the module I am not re-taking.

What should I do? Should I just do what my teacher told me to do or reveal more information? I am afraid UCAS will ask me personally why I did not write down my module scores for each subject but I have no idea what to do.

Any help will be appreciated =)
Reply 185
Spain'93
Hi..
I too have this problem when applying through UCAS. I just did my AS exams last June and achieved ABBCD. I am re-taking two modules in Biology to bring my D up to an A (because my other module was a very high B) and re-taking two modules in Math (to bring up my C to a B or an A). On the education section of UCAS, my teacher told me to just say that I am re-taking 2 modules and write my overall grade for each subject.

However, I want UCAS to know I got an A in one of my Math modules so the universities know what I am capable of. At the same time, even though I want to show them my module scores, I dont want them to know about the U I got in one of my biology modules although I was 2 marks off an A in the module I am not re-taking.

What should I do? Should I just do what my teacher told me to do or reveal more information? I am afraid UCAS will ask me personally why I did not write down my module scores for each subject but I have no idea what to do.

Any help will be appreciated =)
It's a case of all or nothing on the issue of entering module grades. If a uni wants to know what they were they'll ask. UCAS won't.
Reply 186
theman12345
On my ucas application

I am applying for economics at uni

At AS I acheived:

A - Economics
A - Geography
A - History
C - Maths - shock

carrying on eco, geog and history to A2

I have high UMS scores and A in every module in economics, geography and history but messed up the maths a bit

So I am wondering whether to include module grades for the 3 subjects I am taking onto A2 and not the maths OR include all module including maths (B,C,C) OR no module grades at all

I am in two minds about this and whether it will look dodgy if I include my module grades for every subject but maths

Any advice on what would be best for my application?
It's obvious from the overall grades that you 'messed up the maths a bit' so I'd be inclined to enter the module grades if the others were really good - but it is a case of all or nothing.
Reply 187
Minerva
It's a case of all or nothing on the issue of entering module grades. If a uni wants to know what they were they'll ask. UCAS won't.

So only UCAS see my module scores then? not the unis? Should I just leave everything the way it is then? I got told that if I want to add the "I got an A in one of my math modules" bit, that I could ask my teacher to add it in my reference.

Sound good?
Reply 188
Spain'93
So only UCAS see my module scores then? not the unis? Should I just leave everything the way it is then? I got told that if I want to add the "I got an A in one of my math modules" bit, that I could ask my teacher to add it in my reference.

Sound good?
No, that is not what I said or meant.

If you enter your module grades, both the unis and UCAS will see them. If you decide not to enter your module grades, no-one can see them, but some unis might, possibly, ask for them. If you decide not to enter your module grades, you can ask your referee to mention the A in one of your maths modules. Otherwise this would be a waste of valuable space.
(edited 13 years ago)
i fyou have already done your a levels, and when you fill in the a levels do you enter the AS modules grades twice ie once in AS section and again in A2 section which is 6 or 4 units

A2 - 6 units ( 3 module unit grades repeated again)
AS 3 units
Reply 191
If I did an AS retake, and achieved the same grade, would I have to enter the AS qualification again? My school certificates AS-Levels.
Minerva
Regarding the award date for AS/A Levels, everyone in my college has been told to put down August since that's when we get results. Is my college wrong then?

I've already sent my app off as well, so will this affect me adversely?
Hi there,

Question regarding "cashed in" AS levels:

I left my last school after sitting my first set of AS modules in January. I failed them, took the rest of the year out and restarted at another school and have completed my AS levels now. I just want to confirm that I do not have to mention my AS level grades in my previous school as I only did one module in each subject (half of an AS / quarter of an A-level).

Thank you in advance for any help :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Minerva
It's obvious from the overall grades that you 'messed up the maths a bit' so I'd be inclined to enter the module grades if the others were really good - but it is a case of all or nothing.

Can I ask what you mean exactly by 'it is a case of all or nothing' because on my ucas form I can enter the module grades for only 3 subjects and just put the overall grade for maths. Or do you mean that if I don't enter module grades for the maths unis won't like it?
Reply 195
theman12345
Can I ask what you mean exactly by 'it is a case of all or nothing' because on my ucas form I can enter the module grades for only 3 subjects and just put the overall grade for maths. Or do you mean that if I don't enter module grades for the maths unis won't like it?
I mean that you either put them all in, or you put none in, on the basis that if you are selective about which you declare, you draw attention to the gaps. But it's up to you, declaring module grades is optional. If your unis need to know for some reason, they will ask.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 196
My school today told me to not enter the module details for AS and A2 levels on the A2 levels section - just leave it blank :wtf: This is wrong right?
Is it a deffo that entering module results into the 'other' box will override the grades? I have some I'm very proud of but my referee won't include them :frown:

Quick question on reference (didn't want to make a new thread)
My teacher mentioned I entered an essay competition, however I didn't win (didn't say this). For that reason should I get them to remove it? Doesn't really say anything positive...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 198
Qualification date august or june ??????????
Reply 199
nobody told me that I had to put down AS resits in application and my teacher sent it off last week :frown: Is this something to be worried about?

Latest

Trending

Trending