The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Read Gray and Gray on mortgages for a few hours today.

Returned to Dixon with a redoubled love for its conciseness.
Reply 3981
Original post by zaliack
The dissertation probably gives it away that I'm going into my final year :wink:

Surely you'd hope to have the TC before they even see those modules on any app? In which case **** it, International Public all day :tongue:
Can anyone suggest a case book for land law that's actually a proper case book (like, say, Burrows's for contract) and not a sort of textbook-ish mongrel?

I hate the format of McFarlane's book.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Can anyone suggest a case book for land law that's actually a proper case book (like, say, Burrows's for contract) and not a sort of textbook-ish mongrel?

Not really a case book, but Dixon's awesome. He also edits Megarry & Wade if you want something more substantial.

I never used Burrows, so I'm not sure what kind of Land-related thing you're looking for, but to my knowledge there's nothing (worth reading) out there like Harris' International book.
Original post by Tortious
Not really a case book, but Dixon's awesome. He also edits Megarry & Wade if you want something more substantial.

I never used Burrows, so I'm not sure what kind of Land-related thing you're looking for, but to my knowledge there's nothing (worth reading) out there like Harris' International book.

Yeah I'm using Dixon, but I get uncomfortable if I don't look at primary sources. Burrows is amazing because it's just case extracts from one case, brief notes on that case, case extracts, brief notes, etc. Is not a thing about how much detail there is, I'm just never really sure what's the case's ratio, what's obiter, and what's the author's inference/opinion until I actually look at the text of it.
Reply 3985

Gravells isn't bad for the main cases though it hasn't got Gray and Gray esque depth.
(edited 11 years ago)

What? McFarlane is so good! I got 68 in land after using MHN (McFarlane, Hopkins and someone else). Initially I was basically failing the module using that ****ty Roger Smith book.

I'd also reccommend Gray and Gray - I used that in revision more for essay type questions.
P.S. urghhhh was at the library until 1AM last night and back by 10 this morning. Depressing to have to take the night bus home. So tired. :frown:
for land, i recommend megarry & wade (cannot be beaten, oh the depth - i know a lot of people hated it but i loved it; it had everything one could ever need), mcfarlane for simplicity, and full judgments from westlaw where necessary.
Original post by suffocation1992
P.S. urghhhh was at the library until 1AM last night and back by 10 this morning. Depressing to have to take the night bus home. So tired. :frown:

bring on 24/7 - i hate having to leave by one when i'm SO nearly done and could just stay til 3am and not have to come back the next day.
Original post by Pippaaa
bring on 24/7 - i hate having to leave by one when i'm SO nearly done and could just stay til 3am and not have to come back the next day.

I hated leaving at 1AM - it didn't feel particularly safe around the library.

Urgh I am here again trying to do my reading but just found out a friend has cancer :frown: I am so depressed and it's grey outside. I can't do anything, just feel so hopeless.
I hated leaving at 1AM - it didn't feel particularly safe around the library.

Urgh I am here again trying to do my reading but just found out a friend has cancer :frown: I am so depressed and it's grey outside. I can't do anything, just feel so hopeless.

:console:

I know it's easy to say but try not to worry too much prematurely. Medical science is pretty good these days. Concentrate on what's probably the likelihood that they'll be perfectly fine.
:console:

I know it's easy to say but try not to worry too much prematurely. Medical science is pretty good these days. Concentrate on what's probably the likelihood that they'll be perfectly fine.

thanks - i feel a bit better. i just felt like everything was getting too much
Hey please help me ! I've been having problems with this question and I don't know if its accurate :frown:
The question is as follows :
Paula writes to Cory and Lisa telling them that she is offering her pet Doberman for sale at $5,000. "If you wish to buy" she writes, "please write and let me know." Cory writes back telling Paula that she wants to buy the dog but "let's leave the price to be agreed.” Lisa replies that she is willing to buy the dog for $5,000 but would need to look at it first. Unfortunately, however, Lisa's letter is lost in the mail. Paula replies to Cory agreeing to her terms. Soon after, Paula receives an offer from Karen to buy the dog for $7, 500 and sells it to Karen. Paula has now received another letter from Lisa in which Lisa agrees to buy the dog without inspection.
Advise Paula

All I want to know is it an offer or an invitation to treat if Paula writes to Cory and Lisa telling them that she is offering her pet Doberman for sale at $5,000. "If you wish to buy" she writes, "please write and let me know."

And whether Paula can be liable for a breach of contract when she sold the dog to Karen.

Original post by Jasmine8909
Hey please help me ! I've been having problems with this question and I don't know if its accurate :frown:
Paula writes to Cory and Lisa telling them that she is offering her pet Doberman for sale at $5,000. "If you wish to buy" she writes, "please write and let me know." Cory writes back telling Paula that she wants to buy the dog but "let's leave the price to be agreed.” Lisa replies that she is willing to buy the dog for $5,000 but would need to look at it first. Unfortunately, however, Lisa's letter is lost in the mail. Paula replies to Cory agreeing to her terms. Soon after, Paula receives an offer from Karen to buy the dog for $7, 500 and sells it to Karen. Paula has now received another letter from Lisa in which Lisa agrees to buy the dog without inspection.
Advise Paula

All I want to know is it an offer or an invitation to treat if Paula writes to Cory and Lisa telling them that she is offering her pet Doberman for sale at $5,000. "If you wish to buy" she writes, "please write and let me know."

And whether Paula can be liable for a breach of contract when she sold the dog to Karen.

You're asking in the wrong place. Go to the law academic help forum.
Original post by Jasmine8909
Advise Paula

Ah, I miss the simple days of law. Seems only yesterday we were doing these types of questions - now it's all about the s33 EPA 1990, Constructive Trusts and Free movement in the EU :frown:
Why is there so much law :frown: I can't cope :/ And there is only two months left.
Reply 3997
Why is there so much law :frown: I can't cope :/ And there is only two months left.

:hugs:

It'll be fine :smile: You've done really well in all your exams in life up to this, don't let the run end now! Also, 2 months is still quite a long time, at 8 hours a day work you still have 488 hours to learn it in :wink:
derp derp

breaking bad ftw

beats doing essays

see sig
Original post by tehforum
derp derp

breaking bad ftw

beats doing essays

see sig

Original post by Pippaaa
for land, i recommend megarry & wade (cannot be beaten, oh the depth - i know a lot of people hated it but i loved it; it had everything one could ever need), mcfarlane for simplicity, and full judgments from westlaw where necessary.

I've used it before. I prefer Gray and Gray's format, but it's too out of date to be of any use on constructive trusts, so I gave it a go tonight. Ended up doing what I usually end up doing when there's no decent extract book -- ditching all the textbooks and just reading judgments and case notes.

(From the actual reports/ journals. I've got a big pile of books next to me. #oldschool)

edit: also GOING HOME TOMORROW! So excited to be able to do law all day without having to cook for myself or have my heating switch off at times dictated by the college or do anything at all other than work and eat.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending