The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by vnupe
Not that anyone cares but:

I just got my results back from my midsessionals, and I am passing but barely... but the feedback is very interesting: I am not writing enough... it seems as if I am only answering the question as a skeleton, I need too, as it was put to me: "Answer the question like a Physics or Chemistry problem... the marks are not that you got the right answer or came to the correct conclusion, but that you can demonstrate your working to show how you came to that conclusion/answer... "
In that respect the midsessionals have helped me immensely... I now understand how I have to tackled a problem and to an extent construct my answer...
As an aside, anybody else notice that the workload has tripled from last semester to this one, they are piling on the work and taking no prisoners... so... no more coasting for me, I have to hit those books and get to the core of my reasoning instead of sticking to surface or facile type answers...
Law school is no joke! Although (in my experience) not harder than any of the other courses that I have taken, it does entail using different skills that I have acquired from my other courses... a lot more writing and a greater use and meaning to specific verbiage... such as 'duty of care' and 'reasonableness'... ARGHHHH!!

OK I feel better, rant and commentary over...

Yes, it's a lot of work alright!
my highest grade was 67% in the midsessionals, I got that in contract. I need to improve my other grades.....I am guilty of neglecting to do the required reading and seminar work, but I have this last week decided to make an effort....in furtherance of doing better in my real exams!!
Original post by G8D
Anyone who has done Scots Family Law:

Is there statutory authority regarding wedding vows? I have this page telling me exactly what I need to know but without reference to any kind of authority. It's not in the 1977 act as far as I can see.

I will just put it into my essay without authority, but I wanted to make sure :smile:

You probably don't need to know anymore, but as far as I remember there is no statutory authority re wedding vows.
Constitutional law is the worst module. Ever. :colonhash:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 783
I've got an interview at Buckingham Palace soon :biggrin:
Excited! I needed security clearance just to attend my interview haha!
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Constitutional law is the worst module. Ever. :colonhash:

Any reason in particular?

(I quite liked it. :colondollar: The constitutional parts at least. Not the technical administrative bits).
Original post by Still_Water
Any reason in particular?

(I quite liked it. :colondollar: The constitutional parts at least. Not the technical administrative bits).

Just the amount of content, the sheer dryness of the content. Maybe it's the lecturer. :nothing:

I've decided I'm going to create a proper written British Constitution purely to save future law students from the horror... :colonhash:
Just the amount of content, the sheer dryness of the content. Maybe it's the lecturer. :nothing:

I've decided I'm going to create a proper written British Constitution purely to save future law students from the horror... :colonhash:

I have to say, it's the lack of clarity in the law that really kills subjects for me.

Delict is horrible for this; our exam is purely problem questions, which you'd think would be straightforward, but it's actually a nightmare to revise for it because it's so frustrating trying to work out what the law is in that given area (e.g. Vicarious Liability :angry:).
Original post by Still_Water
I have to say, it's the lack of clarity in the law that really kills subjects for me.

Delict is horrible for this; our exam is purely problem questions, which you'd think would be straightforward, but it's actually a nightmare to revise for it because it's so frustrating trying to work out what the law is in that given area (e.g. Vicarious Liability :angry:).

This. I hate equity so much because of this lack of clarity in the law (the 7 year rule supposedly) the contradictory cases... fairness, my arse.

After finishing my coursework so ****ly ( I am dreading the results) I have so much tutorials and catch up on. I looked it, I am in two minds: EFF IT or Do IT. ARRRRGH :frown:
I got succession law, family law and equity tutorials tomorrow. :frown: Why? ARRRGH
Original post by G8D
How did you end up with 3 tutorials in one day :lolwut:

Don't you get to choose?

Equity is compulsory. I chose family and succession.
I missed tutorials and Lectures throughout January because of coursework. I have had so many deadlines. It was just coursework, coursework, coursework. I didn't go tutorials or lectures at all throughout January. I missed so much.
The tutorials get in the way. A lot of people missed January tutorials, some don't even turn up at all for lectures and tutorials (yet manage to get 2:1 or a first :mad: ).
It is the final year, I want to attend. The tutorial work are so ridiculously long, I can't be bothered doing these tutorial work.
I am on tutorial 6, the ones that are on tomorrow are those- equity, succession and family. The rest have finished their cycle for this week.
:frown:
Apart from succession, I am going to equity and family tutorials even though it was (my equity and family tutorial) last week- I am going to a different one.

I decided I am not going to attend Equity tutorial as I will miss family lectures. It clashes.

I am going to succession and media and hoping for a miracle. :frown:
Reply 789

What are you working at the moment? I've really enjoyed consti, and I actually ****ing love admin--seriously considering taking the admin paper next year. (We do some judicial review in consti, to satisfy the practise requirements, but you can take an entire paper in the stuff. :moon: )
Does anyone else not enjoy contract law? Doing my A level year with the topics contract and tort. Enjoying tort so far but i just cannot stand contract
Reply 791
Original post by missnatalie1710
Does anyone else not enjoy contract law? Doing my A level year with the topics contract and tort. Enjoying tort so far but i just cannot stand contract

I really like contract. Don't know how much depth the A level syllabus goes into, as I didn't do A level law (or A levels at all, for that matter). I think offer and acceptance isn't particularly thrilling--though the ramifications of the postal rule in the age of electronic communication in quite interesting. Consideration has its interesting aspects, and third party rights are ok. The really interesting stuff to my mind has been the later part of the course--interpretation, vitiating factors (misrep, mistake, undue influence and duress), so perhaps you'll find them more interesting? What text are you using for contract?
Original post by G8D
I love contract, shame I didn't study for it :/

Really? wow. i wanted to do criminal law but we didnt have the choice
Original post by jjarvis
What are you working at the moment?

Parliamentary Sovereignty/EU Supermacy.

I can't be the only one that dislikes it going by classmates' recent comments.

listening to a Constitutional Lecture could actually be classified as torture!

For some reason, and I'm not sure why, I keep coming across this Adolf Hitler quote: "The doom of a nation can be averted only by a storm of flowing passion, but only those who are passionate themselves can arouse passion in others." Before the entire class is doomed, can someone forward this to the Constitutional law lecturer?

jjarvis
I've really enjoyed consti, and I actually ****ing love admin--seriously considering taking the admin paper next year. (We do some judicial review in consti, to satisfy the practise requirements, but you can take an entire paper in the stuff. :moon: )

Typical you. :tongue: Is everything going well in your other modules as well?
Reply 794
Hello, can anyone tell me which university is better Exeter, Lancaster or Newcastle, speaking about law studies!
Original post by sakuil
Hello, can anyone tell me which university is better Exeter, Lancaster or Newcastle, speaking about law studies!

Exeter.
Original post by G8D
Criminal is pretty good too, interest wise.
It's just not an area I can see myself wanting to practice in.

Its the area i want to practice in, i just don't find civil interesting enough
Reply 797
How can you justify , that exeter is better than other two?
Reply 798
Parliamentary Sovereignty/EU Supermacy.

I can't be the only one that dislikes it going by classmates' recent comments.

I'm quite interested in parliamentary sovereignty, and enjoyed studying it. I really like the way ps/rule of law/judicial review all overlap, especially in terms of the common law/ultra vires doctrines. It seems to throw everything I like about politics/law/history/political philosophy together in an engaging and, at the moment, novel way. What have you been reading? Maybe I can recommend something that would catch your interest a bit more.

Typical you. :tongue: Is everything going well in your other modules as well?

Yeah, for the most part. Tort is probably the paper I like least, though it has its moments. Contract is good, and I love consti and land. International's mostly pretty good, but often feels rather diffuse. My supervisors are great, which is a huge help. We're doing mortgages in land at the moment, which is tough but definitely interesting. I'm very much looking forward to doing equity next year. We keep butting against it in tort/contract/land (especially land--in tort it only really arises in connection with injunctions), and it seems like something I'd enjoy. Giving a little thought now and then to papers for next year. I have two options. At the moment leaning towards admin and conflicts of law (private international), but we shall see. I'm pretty keen on jurisprudence, but the prospect of doing things that relate more directly to practise is appealing.

The workload's even steeper, so I'm insanely busy, but I'm still loving it.

How's everything with you? What papers are you doing this term?
Can anyone help me? Got a crappy student teacher and i need a case example of a recent medical negligence case

Latest

Trending

Trending