The Student Room Group

Too much work!!! HELP

HEY!
I've just started my A levels (spanish, history, english, politics), infact its been less than a week. Immediately I've been bombarded with a huge amount of work. already, Im working till late and no spare time. I feel I really can't cope and am completely unenthusiastic about my subjects now, even though i love them. I have to read an incredible amount and feel out of my depth. I've been crying A LOT!
Can someone please tell me what to do, how to cope and whether this level of work is normal??? Im really getting upset about this issue... HELP
Reply 1
Ok, you sound like me last year, so I will try to offer some advice.
First of all, try and stay calm. At the end of the day, it's just homework and your health is much, much more important, so please don't do what I did and make yourself ill. You have chosen (like myself) to do four essay based subjects, which is probably why you're finding it tough, and therefore if everyone else seems to be coping fine, maybe it's because they are doing more maths/science based subjects, or just not doing as many essay based subjects as you are.

I took five essay based subjects for my ASs last year, and I did struggle with them initially. I made the mistake of staying up late and surviving on three hours sleep. I would not recommend this, it was a very big mistake as I only made myself ill when I really should have been looking after myself. It is completely possible to avoid this and manage your time better, I'm just saying that you should definitely put your health/sanity first, and it's sad to hear you've been crying a lot over this, but I understand that it can be very stressful.

So, don't worry, as it is your first week and EVERYONE needs time to get used to a new workload. Make sure you are organised for a start. Have folders for your subjects and keep everything organised from the beginning. Try and do work when it is set, or if not, as soon as you can, so that you don't end up in a situation where to have to stay up late and work. I found that one of the main reasons I had so much work was because I was spending too long on each homework, trying to make it 'perfect', when what I'd written was already fine.

Is it possible to talk to your teachers and explain the situation? Then they might be more understanding if you need extra for work etc. Just keep going for now - you will get used to it, it's just a step up from GCSE. It is completely possible to do AS levels and extra-curricular activities, and have fun too. Another suggestion would be to make a homework timetable, adding in some relaxation time each evening. Keep your chin up and good luck with your studies :smile:
Reply 2
STAY CALM and balance out your time effectively
Reply 3
nice a-levels btw....languages are good...english NON
Don't do all the homework, just find out which teachers are more soft. You don't still get detentions in 6th form do you?
Acromida's advice is spot on

Also, it is the first week; we've been on holiday on about 7 weeks taking it easy. So the first week is always tough on everyone (even if they don't show it) because you are suddenly working again.
You've taken 4 challening essay subjects, which is very impressive (I'm taking mostly sciences)
When you do get alot of work, DO talk to your teachers. They will be understanding and help you cope, e.g give you later dealines for homework if you ask them.
They will be very understanding and supportive if they know what subjects you have taken.
I think going to sleep around 10, 11 at the latest is good. If you end up not having completed your work by that time, stop working, and see you tutors in the morning to explain.

Even though you want to get the work done, you'll struggle more if you start not getting enough sleep, and I know once you've lost those hours of sleep they are almost impossible to get back. :P

good luck. you're A Levels are great, especially spanish is impressive. I'm awful at languages :s-smilie:
xxx
Reply 6
Use those free periods carefully, especially on Fridays as I find homework at weekends drop considerably.

Latest