The Student Room Group

Entry requirements for A level maths should be raised

The entry requirements for AS Maths should be raised from a B to an A/A*. Equally to do A2 maths you must attain a grade C at AS.

AS maths is hard, a grade B won't cut it I'm afraid. Why don't schools see this?

In January ALL of the candidates who achieved a grade B at GCSE got a grade E/U in January. 'Most' of the candidates who attained a grade A* at GCSE got a grade B/A.

This will reduce the class sizes and improve the teaching quality of AS classes. This will increase the success rate of students who can actually cope with A level maths.

I know that some select private schools require a grade A/A* to study maths and further maths but seriously why don't colleges consider this to?

Science is another subject which only requires grade Bs at double Science GCSE. Why not grade A? Physics is the hardest Science A level alongside Chemistry. A grade B isn't suitable for the content at A level.

Students who get a grade B in Maths and Science should be advised NOT to study Science A levels unless they are willing to study around the clock to get a pass because the concepts don't come 'naturally' to them.

I only speak out of experience. Although there more people not suited to Science A levels only increases the spaces available at University - but this is subjective.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My school already has A/A* requirement, its the same with the sciences.
Justin1265
The entry requirements for AS Maths should be raised from a B to an A/A*. Equally to do A2 maths you must attain a grade C at AS.

AS maths is hard, a grade B won't cut it I'm afraid. Why don't schools see this?

In January ALL of the candidates who achieved a grade B at GCSE got a grade E/U in January. 'Most' of the candidates who attained a grade A* at GCSE got a grade B/A.

This will reduce the class sizes and improve the teaching quality of AS classes. This will increase the success rate of students who can actually cope with A level maths.

I know that some select private schools require a grade A/A* to study maths and further maths but seriously why don't colleges consider this to?

Science is another subject which only requires grade Bs at double Science GCSE. Why not grade A? Physics is the hardest Science A level alongside Chemistry. A grade B isn't suitable for the content at A level.

Students who get a grade B in Maths and Science should be advised NOT to study Science A levels unless they are willing to study around the clock to get a pass because the concepts don't come 'naturally' to them.

I only speak out of experience. Although there more people not suited to Science A levels only increases the spaces available at University - but this is subjective.

entry requirements are set by the school, some dont even have requirements
Reply 3
What can you do? It's the school that sets them :L
Reply 4
I got a B at GCSE. Ended up with a B at A2, very close to an A it was too.

:cool:
Reply 5
My college has a B requirement across the board. I know people who got a B at GCSE Maths and an A at A-level because they put the work in. SO saying that a B won't cut it is wrong in my eyes :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Meekle72
My college has a B requirement across the board. I know people who got a B at GCSE Maths and an A at A-level because they put the work in. SO saying that a B won't cut it is wrong in my eyes :rolleyes:

Same here. It's more effort and past papers. Even a C might cut it if they try hard enough.
Justin1265

There's obviously no problem with that requirement, 45% of all candidates taking the maths A-Level this year managed to get a grade A... If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Conversely, I think they should be making the maths A-Level much harder tbh, 45% A grades is daft.
Every school is different, my school already adopts the A* rule.
Reply 9
Justin1265

Also you can always self teach it if you can 'cope' with it. I find it better than being in a class with a teacher because A levels are more independent.
So much fail in the OP I can't even begin :facepalm:
Justin1265
Why don't schools see this?

Schools do see it. However, only popular schools/colleges can afford to set entry requirements. If a college refuses entry to a grade B student, they will go elsewhere and approximately £5,000 has just walked out of the door. Similarly, stopping AS students from proceeding to A2 means they also lose this amount of funding. Loss of funding means poorer facilities or staff redundancies.
Reply 12
No. If only the top people do it then the grade boundaries will be ridiculously high. That means that a lot people who are currently A-grade worthy will miss out.
Reply 13
My old school already has the A/A* requirement for maths. For most subjects it was B-A*, I think, apart from maths and languages.
Farhan.Hanif93
I think they should be making the maths A-Level much harder tbh, 45% A grades is daft.

this
I agree with maths, but I got BB in my GCSE sciences (then again I was a higher standard but I wasn't allowed to take ay higher than foundation :motz:) and I ended up with BB in biology and chemistry A level. My partner got AA in GCSE science and got EE in physics and chemistry. 2 examples which completely smash that theory.

At the end of the day there are too many other variables that go into it such as the quality of teaching, self motivation to do the work and basic understanding of the subject therefore its shouldn't solely rest on GCSE grades
Reply 16
Justin1265

IT's not always the case. For instance in GCSE Biology I scraped a C grade, and for A2 I got a couple of marks off an A*, so an A. Same principle with my Chemistry too.
Reply 17
'Sup guys I got a C at GCSE maths and did better than most of my class at AS-Level (all of whom got Bs and above at GCSE). What do I win?
Justin1265

A year ago in January I got a C in Core 1 and I have a B in GCSE maths...
Well the same could be said about other subjects? For example doing a language like french or german. We had people who got B's at GCSE and they REALLY struggled...

Latest