The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sweetie999
but wont that be embarrasssin tellin him that?

Not at all.. :wink:
have u spoken to them yet?
Reply 22
Your parents love you unconditionally and so maybe they are being a little bit strict. My parents were really strict in my early teens but when I got to 17, I had a long deep chat with them and resolved the trusts issues. They said they wanted the best for me and that’s why they were always monitoring my movements but I told them I loved and respected their concern for me and they understood. Things got much better after that chat so talk to them, Tell them how you really feel and maybe they will give you some breathing space.
Jalapeno
You're 18, you can do as you wish; screw your control freak parents. (Harsh but true).

Disgusting advice!

Your parents are just being careful. Appreciate it. As for the guy, if he's on point, it'll work out.
Reply 24
If you are living in your parents house then obey their rules. Otherwise leave and make your own rules.
Reply 25
just talk to them. if you can without yelling i know it might sound weird but i write letters to my parents and we live in the same house that way they seems to take in what im saying better because they can read it without interuptions
Reply 26
lol, its not so much the curfew that i mind, im used to it, im just scared about my bf n how will he reract
Reply 27
sweetie999
lol, its not so much the curfew that i mind, im used to it, im just scared about my bf n how will he reract

well you wont know until you talk to him and if he isnt willing to compromise then he isnt worth it , but your parents need to lighten up slightly say let you go out late on a friday and sat they cant really complain about 2 nights out of 7
Reply 28
sweetie999

If it was me (and of course if I was male), I would probably laugh. You should be out getting pissed and having plenty of sex. Not in for 7pm and tucked up in bed for 8pm.

However I have an idea, you could always invite him to stay the night, plenty of early nights :wink:
hmmm tricky one.when i go out with my bf i have to be back at certain times like 6pm on a sunday.try strecthing it a bit or ask them for an extension,helps to be extra nice but if all fails,move out or lie to them,u're 18 n deserve a life of ur own.use the excuse that they should give u space to make ur own mistakes so u can learn from them that kinda thing :biggrin: :cool: lol good luck!
Make sure they have written you into the will first, otherwise they might drop dead and not give you anthing

Heh
My advice for you is just to work it out with your bf and then try and work something out with your parents. Im quite sure that if your bf loves you he would do just about anything for you.
Reply 32
18....at uni.... for the love of god why are you still living at home?!

Move out!

If my parents had tried to put a curfew on me... especially as early as 7pm i would have moved out when i was 16!

Seriously, tell them your not 8 anymore and you wanna live you own life.
Reply 33
Teenage daughter: "But Dad, I could just as easily lose my virginity at 4:00 on a tuesday as I could at 11pm on a friday night"

Girls Father: "Good to know, your new curfew is 3:30."

-from some silly sitcom in the US
7 is really a bit extreme for an 18 year old when i started going out with my current boyfriend i was 17 and i thought my parents were being unreasonable with 10.30 curfew. Talk to your parents about it rationally, don't insult, them or yell at them, tell them that at 18 you can be a responsible adult and you can be trusted to stay out late and not do anything stupid.
OK, though 7PM is maybe a little harsh, i think someone of you are more harsh still! Have some damned respect for the people who raised you and gave you pretty much everything you have.

If you want to increase your curfew then you have to talk to them. If you're ok with it, then tell the guy, coz if he doesnt respect yours/your parents wishes, he isnt worth it!
I'm 15 and have a 10pm curfew that can be extended to 10.30 without much fuss, am I just lucky?
Reply 37
sweetie999
hi, even tho im 18 and at uni, my parents exp[ect me 2 b home at like 7pm. now theres this boy thats asked me out and how can i go out with him if i cnt stay out late. i dnt kno wat to to. plz help.

Your 18 now so i think i should tell your parents your a adult now and should be able to do your own things,
However its obvious your parents do this because they care alot about your safety and the games boys can play with your head, so if you do talk to them make sure you point out that you do in away appreciate how they look out for you.
Reply 38
I never had a particular set curfew, my parents and I would agree a time to be home by according to what particular thing I was going out to.

If you're at uni how do you get home by 7 every night? There are societies and clubs that run most evenings at uni and it's good to join in to make more friends and make the most of uni! Plus one day my lectures don't finish til 7 :\

I think you should sit down with your parents and talk to them about it. Do they specifically say each time you go out "back at 7" or is it unspoken and assumed? As others have said, tell your parents politely and calmly that there's something on one evening you'd particularly like to go to, that it finishes at ... and you'll be home by ...

If you stick to it you'll earn their trust. At 18 and not even at school any more I think you can push it a little more than 7.
Reply 39
Iv never had problems with curfews; never had one and iv moved out now so guessing i never will. (used to come in at 2am when i was 15 and my parents didnt mind). Although they were strict about other stuff *realises her parents are stupid/strange*.

Anyways my point was they wouldnt let me and my boyfriend spend the night together (understandably) until i was 16 and i sat down with them and said iv been with Dan for over a year, im not going to sleep around please can he stay over. It took them a while and at first it was only when they werent in but then it was whenever i wanted.

I think if you are mature enough to sit down with them and talk through an issue they wil realise you are mature enough to do x y or z.

Latest

Trending

Trending