The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Combined Honours - Spanish and ???

Hello, I am considering an application for Combined Honours - I know I am definitely applying for the Spanish element, but I can't decide for the rest - or, actually, I have some idea but I have no clue whether it's convenient as I am applying for slightly different subjects at other unis. I am thinking of Anthropology, Education and Government and Politics (not necessarily all of them, mind you). And here come my problems:

1. How much commitment do they want to see with regards to all the subjects applicant applies for? I am applying for languages and linguistics at other unis and, to be honest, I cannot twist my PS that much to sound utterly aimed at the sole pathways I would apply for at Durham. I mention some social issues in my PS regarding Islam and I write I would like to continue my career in education, if that helps.
2. The website says they offer modules in Islamic Studies within Government and Politics - should I metion either G+P or Islamic Studies in my UCAS application if I want to study it?
3. How do I list such combinations in the application should I apply for both artsy and social subjects?

I unfortunately cannot apply for Arabic as it is taught from scratch (and I already know it to a certain extent, let's say a passive B1).

Thanks for any advice!
Reply 1
Hi,

The Education dept at Durham is philosophy/sociology/etc of Education, so I don't think saying you want to go into Education in the future would really explain why you want to study it.

Combined Social Sciences is a really popular course so I'd really recommend you read the info on their website, it says exactly what they're looking for, has loads of advice for your PS.

You need to show real commitment to 2 subjects that Durham offers, so adding a couple of lines about a subject would be enough. I know people who applied last year with AAAA predictions and were applying for their subject combinations at all their unis so had really focused personal statements and didn't get offers. Obviously they might've had weak other aspects to their applications, but I'm just trying to say that it's definitely getting more competitive, and it wasn't easy to get in to start with. (Not trying to say that I'm amazing for getting in or anything!)

For ucas: in the 'choices' section you should be able to select Durham Uni, type in the campus code (for your college) and then there should be a section underneath that says ''further details"? Write the codes for your subjects there - see the link below for codes. :smile:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/combined.honours/socscience/

http://www.dur.ac.uk/combined.honours/socscience/what/

http://www.dur.ac.uk/combined.honours/admissions/

http://www.dur.ac.uk/combined.honours/admissions/ucas_codes/
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Ivanka
Hello, I am considering an application for Combined Honours - I know I am definitely applying for the Spanish element, but I can't decide for the rest - or, actually, I have some idea but I have no clue whether it's convenient as I am applying for slightly different subjects at other unis. I am thinking of Anthropology, Education and Government and Politics (not necessarily all of them, mind you). And here come my problems:

1. How much commitment do they want to see with regards to all the subjects applicant applies for? I am applying for languages and linguistics at other unis and, to be honest, I cannot twist my PS that much to sound utterly aimed at the sole pathways I would apply for at Durham. I mention some social issues in my PS regarding Islam and I write I would like to continue my career in education, if that helps.
2. The website says they offer modules in Islamic Studies within Government and Politics - should I metion either G+P or Islamic Studies in my UCAS application if I want to study it?
3. How do I list such combinations in the application should I apply for both artsy and social subjects?

I unfortunately cannot apply for Arabic as it is taught from scratch (and I already know it to a certain extent, let's say a passive B1).

Thanks for any advice!

If Durham don't do the degree you want (linguistics and a language) I'm guessing it's your 5th choice...but it's an AAA offer so maybe it'd be best to find a 'safer' 5th choice at another uni?
Reply 3
angelmxxx
Hi,

The Education dept at Durham is philosophy/sociology/etc of Education, so I don't think saying you want to go into Education in the future would really explain why you want to study it.

I am sorry for not explaining it into depth, I meant education as education science... (Comparative education respectively.)

Ad the second post: It's not that I am particularly focused at linguistics and languages, it's like I'd like to do something related to languages, possibly alongside another thing (to keep my options wider) - I think I'd even prefer Durham to my other choices - hence why I am applying to St Andrews that allows students to take on a few more subjects. Though I know this additional combination at Durham may be risky...

By the way, am I going to be in an advantaged position if I am predicted more than the bare minimum? OK, I don't know what the typical requirement for Czech students is but since I am predicted the best possible grades I think I can't be disadvantaged (unless they state my prediction as a condition of entry :eek: - I saw one girl being offered a place at Durham with a condition of 11111 - crazy!).
Reply 4
Ivanka
I am sorry for not explaining it into depth, I meant education as education science... (Comparative education respectively.)

Ad the second post: It's not that I am particularly focused at linguistics and languages, it's like I'd like to do something related to languages, possibly alongside another thing (to keep my options wider) - I think I'd even prefer Durham to my other choices - hence why I am applying to St Andrews that allows students to take on a few more subjects. Though I know this additional combination at Durham may be risky...

By the way, am I going to be in an advantaged position if I am predicted more than the bare minimum? OK, I don't know what the typical requirement for Czech students is but since I am predicted the best possible grades I think I can't be disadvantaged (unless they state my prediction as a condition of entry :eek: - I saw one girl being offered a place at Durham with a condition of 11111 - crazy!).

Sorry what is education science? The only Education studies Durham offer is the philosophical/sociological bit. There are a few modules on learning and teaching - so I guess a tiny bit more sciency as it's psychologyish/how people learn etc, but it's not taught in a scientific way at all.

That may be an advantage but considering the combined dept aren't making any A* offers (for A level students) you can't really work out how much. I was predicted more than 3 As, but I don't know if I got in because of that, or because I had good marks in my ASs so far...the offer I got was AAA including History so I think they focused on the subjects I was currently studying that I wanted to do at uni level.

I think your best plan is to work out exactly what you want to do with languages - read some anthropology books (the "A very short introduction to..." books are cheap on amazon and really good). I have the social anthropology one and it's great! If you can show you really understand what studying anthropology/Education/etc at degree level means and explain why you want to do it - more importantly, why it links with Spanish (not just that you want to study a language for future job prospects/because you like languages), and find interdisciplinary links between your subjects, I think you'd definitely be in a good position to apply. :smile:

Latest