The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Agree- getting a few marks off a grade is really annoying.

Disagree- I only JUST got the grades I needed for uni. A sin, 2 marks less and I'd have a whole grade less..
I kind of agree that it's unfair that people might be getting a uni place in favour of someone who only gained one mark less than them- but they're still going to have cut off points, so might as well keep it like it is.
Reply 22
innerhollow
How does that make a difference? :s-smilie:

With grades: Two students both get a B overall for their first 2 modules. One of them is very poor and can't resit, and gets a B overall as his final grade. The other student resits his first two modules and goes up to an A overall.

With %s: Two students both get 72% overall for their first two modules. One of them is very poor and can't resit, and gets 75% overall as his final mark. The other student resits his first two modules and goes up to 83% overall.

The simple solution would be to ban resits. Reists have a number of disadvantages besides inequality.

I do not see how poor = not being able to resit. If your school makes you pay, I'm sure they can appeal saying they are capable of much better, therefore making the school look better ergo free resit.

Why should someone be allowed to resit when they've gained more knowledge and skills, had more time and already attempted it once. A grade inflation through resits rarely shows an increase in understanding.
Makes sense to me. When 1 mark is the difference between an A or B, percentages show the differences between two students better. Why should one mark more mean an A when the students are more or less the same? An A with 1 more mark than a B is much more employable etc.
Noodlzzz
I do not see how poor = not being able to resit. If your school makes you pay, I'm sure they can appeal saying they are capable of much better, therefore making the school look better ergo free resit.

I don't do A-levels I don't know how your resit system works. It was other people on this thread telling me that there are people who can't afford to resit.

Why should someone be allowed to resit when they've gained more knowledge and skills, had more time and already attempted it once. A grade inflation through resits rarely shows an increase in understanding.

Yes, hence why I said we should "ban resits". Did you even read my post? :s-smilie:
nexttime
It just makes things a bit complicated for universities and employers, really. They would have to categorise you anyway and the grade system just saves them a job.

I agree
Reply 26
I agree, I made an arguement about this about uni grades a few months back.

In my final semester, 4 B-s 60% each would have gotten me a 2.1. I got
1 C+ about 57%
2 Bs, 63 64%
and an A- 72%

The total of my % averages was at 4% higher than what was needed to get a 2.1 but based on the current grade system I only get a 2.2

So when I tell employers I got a 2.2 there thinking I work at 50%, when my lowest grade was 57%.

kinda stupid the way they do it all. I should either be able to say yeah I average at 64%. or total up all my results and give an overall grade at like 256% or something
Reply 27
SamCamp

So when I tell employers I got a 2.2 there thinking I work at 50%, when my lowest grade was 57%.

*they're. And no, they think you're working in the 50-59% range.

But seriously guys, I think you're attaching way too much weight to the percentages given. They tend to be marking the scripts pretty quickly, and classifying people into grades allows for a bit of error and inaccuracy in the final mark. If the grading was perfect, people wouldn't spend money getting papers remarked whenever they're on the boundary.

And at least in terms of the maths/science papers, there is a very significant ceiling effect. Just because someone got 95 and someone else got 90 does not mean the first person is 'better' - one person just made a minor mistake, or the random selection of questions just happened to favour one candidate. It proves ****-all about their ability.
It'd just make people more competitive, I think. Not a big difference for employers, they're not gonna choose someone because they've got 2% more than somebody else.
Reply 29
I dunno I got high percentages but I' pretty happy with the current system. It's only for those who can't bear the indignity of listing percentages in their statement.

"lawl I gotz 98% in mahts - letz me in to yar uniz"

If you're really that proud of a result ask your referee to inlcude it in the reference they write of you and that'll be the end of that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Definitely, although that would mean that English would take even longer to mark because they would have to calculate percentages rather than just skimming through and going 'Yep, that looks like a B to me'.
Reply 31
whitepearlbaby
It'd just make people more competitive, I think. Not a big difference for employers, they're not gonna choose someone because they've got 2% more than somebody else.

Competition is good! But isn't that the point, to see that someone who got 79% is equal to someone who got 81% not the difference between an A and B.
Reply 32
Noodlzzz
Just take the IB for example. Working on a 45 point scale is going to tell you so much more than a 7 (our grading system) point one.

lolwut?
Reply 33
innerhollow
Doesn't reward people who do well first-time round and creates a "resit culture"; allows people to sit AS papers when they're in their A2 year and have consolidated their ability in the subject (thus giving them an unfair advantage); contributes to grade inflation; offers a luxury which is not available in most other exam systems (i.e. Highers/IB/EB) and is definitely not available at university; and contributes to heavy grade inflation.

(I should put that in my sig).

Anyone can take retakes, it's not an unfair advantage.
I was off ill for 3months and my grandfather died 2weeks before my exams, without retakes I wouldn't be going to uni.
pixiebot

Not everyone does A-levels you know, what about the people doing Highers/IB/etc. who don't have these resits widely available to them? Do you not have an unfair advantage over us by being given such a free access to resits, when we just need to grin and bear with whatever grade we get?

Within the A-level system, it's unfair on people who do well the first time round. And the fact that anyone can take resits is the exact problem with the system.

I was off ill for 3months and my grandfather died 2weeks before my exams, without retakes I wouldn't be going to uni.

Yeah, but that kind of thing almost always gets covered by extenuating circumstances, where you have an actual reason for poor exam performance. Current resits are offered to anyone and everyone.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
Noodlzzz
Grades are too restrictive to show your true academic worth and potential. Someone who gets 100% at AS is considered on the same terms as someone who got 80% (excluding putting it on reference / cambridge - this shouldn't be necessary in the first place)

Someone who misses an AAA offer by 3 marks in one grade is more likely to be considered than someone who missed 3 marks over BBB.

Surely if we are given percentages, then uni's and others can see our worth more?

This theory would work in my favour, I think. Ended up with B's when I was a a hair's width away from As. Eugh.
Reply 36
pixiebot

Which is perfectly fine and allowances would be made.

I think 1 resit should be permitted to everyone anyway.
Teachers get things wrong first time around, I know that.
First sitting= 73%
Second sitting= 100%

No revision inbetween, just an understanding of what I needed to write that my teacher didn't have access to before the first one.
Reply 37
innerhollow
It's unfair on people who do well the first time round. And the fact that anyone can take resits is the exact problem with the system.

Yeah, but that kind of thing almost always gets covered by extenuating circumstances, where you have an actual reason for poor exam performance. Current resits are offered to anyone and everyone.

Teachers can get things wrong.
Such instances are rectified the second time around.

So the first time around would not have been an accurate reflection of a student's ability.
Mann18
Teachers can get things wrong.
Such instances are rectified the second time around.

So the first time around would not have been an accurate reflection of a student's ability.

I really don't like these kinds of arguments, it's up to the student to make sure they possess the correct knowledge for an exam , hence why syllabi are available for free and textbooks are published for each subject (and grants given to make these education resources available).

The need for resists seem to stem from just people not bothering at AS if anything. A-level is basically the only system I can think of where retakes are offered like that. Why should English students be offered this lxury of being able to whitewash over their past laziness when students from the rest of the world don't?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
innerhollow
I really don't like these kinds of arguments, it's up to the student to make sure they possess the correct knowledge for an exam , hence why syllabi are available for free and textbooks are published for each subject (and grants given to make these education resources available).

The need for resists seem to stem from just people not bothering at AS if anything. A-level is basically the only system I can think of where retakes are offered like that. Why should English students be offered this lxury of being able to whitewash over their past laziness when students from the rest of the world don't?

Two words: New syllabi.

This year, I had at least two subjects that had new topics.
Hence, we had one specimen paper to use.
Hence, quite a few people were angry when the real test did not reflect the specimen paper AT ALL.
Hence, people resat it.
(I personally did not resit any AS papers.)

You are looking at things as though they are black and white, and really, there are shades of grey.

It's not whitewashing over anything at all, at least some of the time anyway.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest