The Student Room Group

Help With Course Choice

Hey there,

First off, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place etc. I've never used this site before except for the occasional brief look off a link from google, however, I thought it'd be a good idea to ask on here as I'm struggling quite a bit with this.

In the future, a long way off, I've a passion to be a writer, which sounds beautifully naive, however I've both performed live performance poetry, at Ways With Words, and Exeter Phoenix etc, and been told I'm talented by a fair few already published authors. So perhaps it's possible?

Either way though, currently I'm in the IB, and expected to get between 34-36 points, with English, Psychology and History as my highers, currently, I'm highly debating whether to take a course in English with creative writing, or History of art,

Prospective universities being: Warwick, Kent, UEA, Goldsmiths, SOAS

Both are deep passions, but I'm honestly lost, and slightly bothered with the talk of 'empty degrees'. And also, especially with my mother being a successful artist, very aware that not too many of the successful artists actually did do something like 'creative writing'.

Any advice from someone who's been through either course would be lovely, and very much so appreciated!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Jye
Hey there,

First off, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place etc. I've never used this site before except for the occasional brief look off a link from google, however, I thought it'd be a good idea to ask on here as I'm struggling quite a bit with this.

In the future, a long way off, I've a passion to be a writer, which sounds beautifully naive, however I've both performed live performance poetry, at Ways With Words, and Exeter Phoenix etc, and been told I'm talented by a fair few already published authors. So perhaps it's possible?

Either way though, currently I'm in the IB, and expected to get between 34-36 points, with English, Psychology and History as my highers, currently, I'm highly debating whether to take a course in English with creative writing, or History of art,

Prospective universities being: Warwick, Kent, UEA, Goldsmiths, SOAS

Both are deep passions, but I'm honestly lost, and slightly bothered with the talk of 'empty degrees'. And also, especially with my mother being a successful artist, very aware that not too many of the successful artists actually did do something like 'creative writing'.

Any advice from someone who's been through either course would be lovely, and very much so appreciated!

Thank you :smile:

I did english with creative. Im not sure what you mean by "empty". Something along the lines of "Mickey Mouse"? Many well known writers have taken creative writing courses of some sort or another (though obviously not the majority). I also dont really understand the connection your drawing between your mother being an artist and your worries about creative writing.

You could always do either course and then take an outside module in the other discipline. I could have done some history of art modules if i had so desired, and some of the english lit modules i took were cross medium and so i studied art in the context of english lit and vice versa.

Anyway, if you have any specific questions i would be happy to answer them.

Latest