The Student Room Group

What do you think of my choices?

When I finish my A's I'm planning on pursuing a flying career, either as an RAF pilot, or Army Air Corps pilot or a Commercial airline pilot etc. Anything to do with flying really :smile: .

I'm doing my A levels at home (distance learning) So unfortunately can't do a Physics A level which would be an obvious one. This may become available next year as a fast track A level though..... (fingers crossed!:biggrin: )

My choices are:
Maths (with mechanics)
Biology
History

I thought History would be good as having an arts subject shows I'm not just a science person and have the ability to write essays. If the Physics fast track comes out next year, then I will drop History after AS and take the Physics. Anyway, your thoughts on my choices; are they any good, what could I do at uni if my flying plan goes pear shaped? (bearing in mind I might not get the Physics and have the original three)

Cheers guys :smile:
Reply 1
james-brown28
When I finish my A's I'm planning on pursuing a flying career, either as an RAF pilot, or Army Air Corps pilot or a Commercial airline pilot etc. Anything to do with flying really :smile: .

I'm doing my A levels at home (distance learning) So unfortunately can't do a Physics A level which would be an obvious one. This may become available next year as a fast track A level though..... (fingers crossed!:biggrin: )

My choices are:
Maths (with mechanics)
Biology
History

I thought History would be good as having an arts subject shows I'm not just a science person and have the ability to write essays. If the Physics fast track comes out next year, then I will drop History after AS and take the Physics. Anyway, your thoughts on my choices; are they any good, what could I do at uni if my flying plan goes pear shaped? (bearing in mind I might not get the Physics and have the original three)

Cheers guys :smile:

They're great choices. Just remember, fast track is VERY hard... I have a friend doing it at the moment. I think, you should carry on all the ones you have chosen at the moment to A2 unless you are required to take Physics (As good as it may seem, I don't think it's a requirement). You're taking strong subjects esp maths which will go in favour for what you want to do :smile:. Good luck! How come distance learning btw?
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply :smile:

Distance learning? God knows how I got here.... messed up travelling plans by my parents and I never went back, Was in College for 1 week last month twas crap lol. I don't think It helped that It was a bunch of 'thickos' doing a BTEC who I was with for that week. :p:

Thanks again for the reply, i appreciate your input :smile:

P.S No; Physics isn't a requirment, but is unofficialy "prefered". Apparently theres a guy who fly's in the RAF who has a Degree in Classics :yep:
Reply 3
Bump.

Anyone know what I could do at uni with those a levels?
Reply 4
Bump again...

Anyone??.....

.....Does this mean that there are no uni courses I could do with these A levels....:eek:

:eek3:
There's actually quite a lot you could do there :smile: it depends where you want to go, of course, because top universities are looking for evidence that you know what you want, so a mix of science and arts may prove problematic. However, my best friend got Medicine offers with 2 sciences and an arts, so what do I know!
If you were aiming for say Oxbridge, or another top 10 university, i'd advise you to pick one or the other. However, if you're looking a little lower down the league tables (where there are stills some amazing institutions), then go for it! It should make for an interesting UCAS application which i'm such admissions will be glad to see!
Good luck :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
good subjects:smile:
Reply 7
Thanks for the replies guys :smile:
Reply 8
Just a question do you already have flying experience?
Reply 9
massisi
Just a question do you already have flying experience?

No, bit expensive at more than £6000 for a PPL. Even if I got an NPL It would still be a ridiculous amount of moneys :yep:

Why do you ask?
Reply 10
james-brown28
Thanks for the reply :smile:

Distance learning? God knows how I got here.... messed up travelling plans by my parents and I never went back, Was in College for 1 week last month twas crap lol. I don't think It helped that It was a bunch of 'thickos' doing a BTEC who I was with for that week. :p:

Thanks again for the reply, i appreciate your input :smile:

P.S No; Physics isn't a requirment, but is unofficialy "prefered". Apparently theres a guy who fly's in the RAF who has a Degree in Classics :yep:

Sorry, if you want a reply then just quote me :P:

Oi! Don't call the BTECers thicko's, one of my friends was one last year ^.^

But yeah, with them subjects, and high grades, you can do practically anything (Other than that, needing specific subjects, i.e medicine), you could do Law, History, Philosophy, Anthropology, Archaeology, media studies - almost anything!
Reply 11
Kaskade
Sorry, if you want a reply then just quote me :P:

Oi! Don't call the BTECers thicko's, one of my friends was one last year ^.^

But yeah, with them subjects, and high grades, you can do practically anything (Other than that, needing specific subjects, i.e medicine), you could do Law, History, Philosophy, Anthropology, Archaeology, media studies - almost anything!

I didn't say all BTECers are thickos, I know clever people doing BTEC's too. However, everyone in the btec class I was doing were.....well...... When they were showed a pic of David Cameron half of the class didn't know who he was :facepalm: lol :p:

Thanks for the reply :smile: , sorry i didn't quote you.

Latest