The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Isn't it a bit silly to class him as a "chav" just because he didn't work hard enough?
Reply 41
I'm doing two A2s, picked up General Studies and I'm doing fine. Would you call me an idiot? Think less of me? My mates don't, so if he is your mate, don't either.
Then again, I'm not going to Uni. :wink: I've got my dream job lined up already! :biggrin: :woo:
Reply 42
Cool Story
Reply 43
He's honest, and some people do make bad choices, I certainly did and am only doing 2 A-levels myself, but have high predictions for them both and picked a subject up, it is not the end of the world and at least he got into university.

For one thing chavs don't make the effort, they just quit school at 16 and do nothing all day, quite pathetic really, at least he got into uni. People do make mistakes, it's life.
Reply 44
Redkicker
say if someone got CCC in A-levels and so got into a bad university. what would you think of him or his response when asked why he didn't perform that well.

his answer is basically that he was simply being an idiot and didn't work hard during the 2 years of A-levels. and then he also says he picked the wrong subjects and so had to deal with dropping 2 A-levels, and also doing 1 A-level in a year instead of 2 years.

what do you think of that? is that a bad excuse? would you see him as some sort of chav or something? would you think any less of him? would you think he was a respectable person or someone who is looking for excuses to make up for his faults?

Of course I wouldn't think less of him! They are only A levels for goodness sake, let's get some perspective here!! Lots of people toss off their A level years and then regret it/realise they could have worked harder or whatever. It doesn't make them a bad person or a Chav (not sure Chavs actually do any A levels do they, by then they are having families?). Doesn't sound like he's making excuses by the way, sounds like a pretty honest guy who is telling it like it is and has admitted his own failings along the way. Give him a break!
Maybe they aren't smart, it isn't a crime you know. My brother probably won't even be able to take A levels, but he still works hard and isn't a chav. Just be happy with who you are and stop trying to live up to something your not.
Reply 46
For goodness sake, those aren't even bad grades (well maybe to TSR-nerds). You could still get into a good uni with it e.g. Aberdeen.
Reply 47
I wouldn't care at all, who am I to judge someone because of a few C's?
Wouldn't care overly much. Other than wondering why he's pursing an academic path (when it's clearly not one of his stronger desires) I wouldn't care.
Reply 49
TimmonaPortella
a C is like 40% in raw score for most subjects. that's pretty pathetic.

OP that's my GCSE excuse, though one would have thought you'd have grown up a bit by sixth form.

Have you even done your A-levels yet? C is at least 60% in A-levels. You should do a bit more reading.
Koobideh
Have you even done your A-levels yet? C is at least 60% in A-levels. You should do a bit more reading.

I said "raw score", genius.
toasteh
No, it's at least 60%, dumbass.

I refer you to my "raw score" comment, R-tard.
Reply 52
22 Its A Catch
He sounds like an idiot.
I did no revision whatsoever for my AS levels and still did well. I did History in 1 year too, so don't tell me it's difficult; it's not.
Not everyone is suited to academics, if he doesn't like studying then why is he at university?

Get over yourself. :p:
Reply 53
I'd say this guy is sounding like my boyfriend? :O

Nah but seriously, its not a rare phenomenom and he (or she??) actually seems pretty honest about it. :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
I'd sympathise. During my A2 year, everyone else seemed to be enthusiastic about uni and working towards it, I was looking for a way to avoid going (applied for wrong course, no idea how to say, "Mum, Dad, I actually would rather work in Budgens than go to one of the top five universities in the world." :s-smilie:) So I tried to mess up, consciously or sub-consciously, just enough to miss my offer ... which worked, but means my A-levels are nothing compared to what I could have achieved.

Not having a goal, or being happy with what's going on, is understandable if not desirable.
Reply 55
I'd say at least he knows the fault of why he did badly but overall its him that has to face the consequences of possibly not going to his desired university or even studying his desired courses and having to settle for 'second best'.
I would say that they were a fool.. I got ABBB in 3 sciences and philosophy. Seriously, I pissed around... If you cant get above a C then you shouldnt go to university
Reply 57
TimmonaPortella
I refer you to my "raw score" comment, R-tard.

What you're saying makes no sense. If you get 40% in 'raw score', i.e. 48/120 UMS, it is 40% in most subjects, therefore you get a E. If you get 60% you get 60%. If you're talking about UMS being shifted in some subjects, I've never seen something worth 40% of the raw marks getting a C. It's at very least 55%, and that's uncommon anyway.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 58
To all of you saying that your didn't try and still ended up with As then you must realise that not everyone is that lucky, as I imagine you must go to fairly good schools. Plus, 'not trying' to one person could be seen as trying (albeit not to full potential) to others.
Sithius
And if you have red it's safe to say that you aren't suited to TSR. So why are you still here?

I only have 1 negative rep. It was for a joke about George Osbourne and I went from 3 greens to 2 reds because some high ranking Tory didn't approve of making fun of 'Oik'.

I'm still here because I want to be. Problem?

Latest