The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

University of Southampton versus Southampton Solent University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Solent are good at some things (music related courses are all great) southampton is good at others, solent students seem to be be mostly scummy idiots though, and southampton students seem to be mostly scummy idiots who think they're better than solent students.
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Essentially this thread has decended into a "My Uni is better than your Uni because i say it is".

As well as the obvious troll with nothing better to do.

I personally have chosen Solent (BA Hons Business Studies) because the Uni seems friendly and because UoS couldn't offer me a course relavent to the proffession i wanted to get involved in.

If you all actually sit back and look at yourself for 5 goddamn minutes you may actually realise that petty University rivalries mean nothing.

Statistics mean nothing.
The minority mean nothing.
Your opinion means nothing.

We are all suppose to behaving and conducting ourselves like mature adults and here we are, behaving like bickering infants.

Each Uni has good points and bad points. It's all about personal preference.

:cool:
Reply 62
I come from northern ireland and people used to blow up people just because of their religion or just because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, thankfully it got better as I entered my teens.

Good to see England doesn't have any such divides between class in it's society.

FFS
Reply 63
This apparent rivalry is idiotic, and I don't see the need. I am at Solent, yes. Am I an idiot? No. Everyone Ive met out in Soton have all been nice to me, regardless of university status.
Any potential Solent students, ignore the people that say its scummy, or its for idiots, or people who want to just breeze on by without having to do work.
They don't know what the uni is like. Its honestly down to you to make the decision, not what any one else says, especially if they don't go there!
This apparent rivalry is idiotic, and I don't see the need. I am at Solent, yes. Am I an idiot? No. Everyone Ive met out in Soton have all been nice to me, regardless of university status.
Any potential Solent students, ignore the people that say its scummy, or its for idiots, or people who want to just breeze on by without having to do work.
They don't know what the uni is like. Its honestly down to you to make the decision, not what any one else says, especially if they don't go there!

Thanks for this, after reading this thread I was worried because yes I've applied at Solent and as some people have said living in the north I've been unable to attend an open day. I do not want to be seen as thick or more lower class because of the university I attend.
I for one work hard at everything I do and for some people to say it's for people who want an easy ride made me quite worried as I would not want to be tarred with the same brush.

But like you've said it's down to a persons decision and no one should make some one feel bad for the decision they make.
Original post by naomijayde`
Thanks for this, after reading this thread I was worried because yes I've applied at Solent and as some people have said living in the north I've been unable to attend an open day. I do not want to be seen as thick or more lower class because of the university I attend.
I for one work hard at everything I do and for some people to say it's for people who want an easy ride made me quite worried as I would not want to be tarred with the same brush.

But like you've said it's down to a persons decision and no one should make some one feel bad for the decision they make.

You won't be, no sweat :smile:

Not by anyone who's worth your time, anyway.

I'm still jealous Solent get to be right in the centre of town!
You won't be, no sweat

Not by anyone who's worth your time, anyway.

I'm still jealous Solent get to be right in the centre of town!

Yeah, I've not been to an open day but I got a map and had a look at the different locations around the uni and it does look good in terms of location, just need to go and see the uni for myself.

:smile:
Reply 67
Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere
rather be at solent then a **** mate

You're not giving the students of Solent a good name, are you? In fact, going around saying "yeah my unis not as great but all you people in a good uni are *****' is, ironically, a pretty *****sh thing to do.

Grow up.
Reply 68
Ha you got trolled boyo

Solent is not an academic institution, it's a vocational college.
who here is at Solent?
Reply 70
You shouldn't take notice of league standings too much as they have flaws. At the end of the day you are going to university not a football derby match.
I got accepted into Solent and Uni of Southampton....Im considering Solent because the course sounds ALOT more exciting and they offer a great exchange programme for International Business Managment! :smile: And no....im definitely not stupid!::angry::angry::angry:
Reply 72
:/ hope this rivalry isn't anything more than banter. seems a bit silly if you ask me. i have firmed southampton and will be going there next year. however, i also have friends at solent and they are certainly not thick. people need to understand that there is a fine line between vocational and academic degrees. i would argue solent is more tailored towards the former.

not just vocational though, i'm sure there are also some academic degrees that solent offers that are either higher ranked (yes they probably do exist) or offer more opportunities, e.g years abroad. university rankings are arbitrary - anyone who makes judgements on them alone is a complete and utter idiot if you ask me.
Original post by no-fat-chicks
I have a place at solent and even though It has a terrible reputation I don't mind going because I'm migrating after I finish my degree and Australia (where i'm moving to) don't really care what uk uni you attended as long as you have the degree. I can honestly say I'm not stupid, quite intelligent actually, It's just that I'm incredibly lazy and so I think I'd probably fit in well at solent.

Ps. I'm a northerner so I'm not sure what southampton itself is even like , well saying that I live about 20 minutes from it at the moment... SORRY i'm just waffling ...

I'm also migrating to Aus after my degree. Surely this can't be true? International rep plays a big part, no?
Original post by accesstohe
I'm also migrating to Aus after my degree. Surely this can't be true? International rep plays a big part, no?

Well I've been told that they wouldn't really know the differences between UK unis (apart from oxbridge) but I guess the person doesn't really know what they're talking about.
Reply 75
Rather Be At Solent Then A Kunt

I'd rather be a kunt than a retard.
Reply 76
I'm looking to study sports journalism a year September. And until tonight I was dead certain that solent would be a good choice for me. Now, not so much. The course does have some strong links with certain clubs though. Is the rivalry really that bad? In Bristol it seems to be bristol uni crushing it. And uwe well... Not so great. Does that apply in southsmpton?
Original post by Liam85
I'm looking to study sports journalism a year September. And until tonight I was dead certain that solent would be a good choice for me. Now, not so much. The course does have some strong links with certain clubs though. Is the rivalry really that bad? In Bristol it seems to be bristol uni crushing it. And uwe well... Not so great. Does that apply in southsmpton?

No the rivalry is not that bad, in fact I didn't even realise there was a rivalry until I read this forum thread. I have just completed my degree at Solent and have just started a career in the field I was studying, so I'm more than happy.

Personally I would not have enjoyed going to a 'high ranking' uni. Yes Solent did seem a little on the easy side but I would rather have it a little easy and complete my course than struggle at a harder uni and end up dropping out.

I think you will find Solent rather chilled out and very friendly. I can't speak for Southampton Uni as I have never set a foot in the place, but from what I have read on here SOME people who study there do seem a little uptight. No offence.

If I had performed better in college than maybe I would have been able to get into a better university, but its too late for that, and like I said I am more than happy with what I have achieved.
Reply 78
Original post by Liam85

The "rivalry" is almost non-existent.

There's a football like chant Solent lads sing when they're drunk but you won't hear it often. Goes along the lines of "I'd rather be at Solent than a c**t

Some club DJs will go "Make some noise if you're from Solent/Southampton Uni"

That's it. That's all I experienced in my 3 years.

I found nobody really cares what uni you're from. Had friends from both Solent and "Uni of" (typically what the other Uni is referred to as).
Reply 79
look m8 u fink your better then me but u aint, your just a tipical southampton ****..i'm studying media and its an intense course id like to see u do it..rather be at solent then a posh knobhead

init fam, malike is taking a degree in brick laying, man knows only some mandem can do dat kinda ting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending