The Student Room Group

The best way to allocate time between subjects

Hi everyone. I'm doing A2 Maths, Physics, Chemistry and AS Further Maths (self taught) this year. I'm just wondering how people choice to allocate their time between subjects. And for how long they spend on each session.

For me I spend Tuesday and Wednesday doing just Further Maths. Thursday and Friday doing just Chemistry. Saturday on Maths. Sunday and Monday just doing Physics. I find it very hard to jump from one subject to the next because I'm not in the right frame of mind. Generally I do about 4 hours of study outside of school each day.

I've heard that the method I'm using isn't very good. And that it is better to work in short bursts and change subjects rather than lengthy times on just one subject and a slower pace. Whats everyones opinions on this?
I dunno if your doing A2s or AS's, but when I did A2s this summer I did pretty much just biology for the months building up to the exams. Further Maths and Maths were revised in the few days before the relevant exams.
The advice may not be too reliable though, I only managed a B in biology but A in Maths/FM :rolleyes:
Reply 2
They recommend four hours of study per subject per work is enough, but for sciences it should be 5 hours. So figure out where you can put those extra 18 hours around your timetable. You should be doing about 2 and a half hours per day, or near enough.
Four hours, every day?! What a horrible expenditure of time!

I've never found the whole 'short bursts' thing to work, i prefer, and it worked for my A levels at least, working on each subject in long extended chunks, as you do. But then i only ever really did that for revision coming up to exams anyway.

But the amount of time i spent on a subject really depended on how much i needed to know ready for the exam, i certainly didn't spend the same time on all my subjects.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest