The Student Room Group

revision timetable

so i realised that i have 5 ish months left till my gcses ...
I've been trying to look for revision timetable templates or just ways in which to make my own tiemtable but nothing is really working. i tend to miss days sometimes... idk what to do
a year or so ago, i realised that revision timetables arent the way to go for me personally (i'm in year 13 - doing a levels)- i have made a 'revision plan' instead. Instead of scheduling blocks of time, I have tasks for the subjects I want to do each day. How many GCSEs do you do? @sarM123
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by sarM123
so i realised that i have 5 ish months left till my gcses ...
I've been trying to look for revision timetable templates or just ways in which to make my own tiemtable but nothing is really working. i tend to miss days sometimes... idk what to do

You don't have to make a timetable per say. You could instead come up with a timeline or a sort of plan (as mentioned by emm4nuella). So it could help by coming up with a list of the things you want to get done at the end of every week or every 2 weeks so you have an aim - it might also help take off the pressure into thinking you have to do hardcore studying every single day (as it's completely ok to take a day off).

What I would do is make a table that goes on for about 3-4 weeks and spread out the revision over those weeks, however make sure you don't clutter it. For example, you could leave the last 2 weeks blank just so that if you fall behind a bit you still have time to get back on track.

For example:

Week 1 - make mindmap for english; do practice questions for chemistry topic; make flashcards for (whatever subject)
Week 2 - do workbook questions for maths; print out past paper questions for biology topic; make notes for subjects

You can customise it according to how busy you are or what days you have time to study on, but you could watch some youtube videos as well that give templates for revision timetables too.

I hoped that helped and good luck!
I’m a 4th year Cambridge student and these are some alternatives to revision timetables and study tips I’ve used over the years.

tally chart. It’s important to keep the amount of work you do for each subject proportional. Not necessarily the same for each subjects, as some you might find easier than others, but adding a tally for every half hour or hour you do will show you if you’re keeping things vaguely proportional without adding the pressure of a timetable.

Make a list of all the topics you want to revise and a number to show how well you already understand it already. Each time you sit down to revise, choose one of the topics you understand the least and work your way through like that. Do the number of hours in a day you can manage.

I like to go to the public library ti study, and I find that I can do 4-5 hours in a library without getting distracted, which I couldn’t do at home. If you find this true for you too (and everyone works differently so it may or may not work) you can work out over breakfast what work you’re aiming to complete that day from your list of topics.

Work based on how you feel. If you’re very tired there is no way you’ll work as well as on a day you feel energised. We can’t always do all the activities we’d like to do, but all the same being in tune with why your body needs is important, and letting yourself rest when you need to is important too. There is a difference between desire to work and capacity to work and it’s important to pay attention to both.

Think about what times of day you work best at. I work best in the morning even if I don’t like waking up early, whereas if I let myself put off starting until the afternoon, I just won’t do anything all day.

Schedule in breaks - If you don’t choose enough breaks, the breaks will choose when to appear and you won’t be able to work when you want to.

Be realistic - better do 3 good hours of work than 6 unfocused, unproductive hours.

Good luck!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by emm4nuella
a year or so ago, i realised that revision timetables arent the way to go for me personally (i'm in year 13 - doing a levels)- i have made a 'revision plan' instead. Instead of scheduling blocks of time, I have tasks for the subjects I want to do each day. How many GCSEs do you do? @sarM123

around 11 if u include further maths

so for the revision plan do you just have a sort of checklist of what to do instead of allocated times?
Reply 5
Original post by tiredgiraff
I’m a 4th year Cambridge student and these are some alternatives to revision timetables and study tips I’ve used over the years.

tally chart. It’s important to keep the amount of work you do for each subject proportional. Not necessarily the same for each subjects, as some you might find easier than others, but adding a tally for every half hour or hour you do will show you if you’re keeping things vaguely proportional without adding the pressure of a timetable.

Make a list of all the topics you want to revise and a number to show how well you already understand it already. Each time you sit down to revise, choose one of the topics you understand the least and work your way through like that. Do the number of hours in a day you can manage.

I like to go to the public library ti study, and I find that I can do 4-5 hours in a library without getting distracted, which I couldn’t do at home. If you find this true for you too (and everyone works differently so it may or may not work) you can work out over breakfast what work you’re aiming to complete that day from your list of topics.

Work based on how you feel. If you’re very tired there is no way you’ll work as well as on a day you feel energised. We can’t always do all the activities we’d like to do, but all the same being in tune with why your body needs is important, and letting yourself rest when you need to is important too. There is a difference between desire to work and capacity to work and it’s important to pay attention to both.

Think about what times of day you work best at. I work best in the morning even if I don’t like waking up early, whereas if I let myself put off starting until the afternoon, I just won’t do anything all day.

Schedule in breaks - If you don’t choose enough breaks, the breaks will choose when to appear and you won’t be able to work when you want to.

Be realistic - better do 3 good hours of work than 6 unfocused, unproductive hours.

Good luck!

thank you so much!!
i'll have a go at this
Original post by sarM123
around 11 if u include further maths

so for the revision plan do you just have a sort of checklist of what to do instead of allocated times?

yes like a to-do list, if that makes sense. so i have a plan of what i should do each day.

first of all, i recommend ranking your subjects in terms of personal difficulty.

Quick Reply

Latest