The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
EmeraldsAndRubies
Because the British are not utterly moronic enough to grant scholarships on someones ability to kick a football.

clearly :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
The Merger cup.. :proud:
Reply 22
there are barely sports teams at schools let alone university
Reply 23
Because sports and academia are completely unrelated. There are plenty of societies and clubs at any British university for sports. But they're hobbies; how good people are at sports is competely irrelevant to their university lives. I don't see how or why the two should be connected, and definately not why the US gives scholarships to get an acedemic degree for being good at a sport.
'Cool' students don't do sports, they play guitar. :cool:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
dkuni
x

because a good sportsman is likely to make the university money, for one. And the admission process is more holistic. Still, it's unlikely someone will get in a very highly ranked school if they are absolute **** academically even if they are quite good athletes. and only a handful of students get such scholarships.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
I find it ironic that despite practically worshipping sport at all levels they are one of the most overweight nations on earth.
Reply 27
asdfg0987
because a good sportsman is likely to make the university money, for one. And the admission process is more holistic. Still, it's unlikely someone will get in a very highly ranked school if they are absolute **** academically even if they are quite good athletes.

If you have a future in professional sports, I highly doubt you'll choose a university based on league tables. :fyi:
Reply 28
S-man10
If you have a future in professional sports, I highly doubt you'll choose a university based on league tables. :fyi:

true :tongue:. but it makes sense to give them scholarships based on their athletic abilities.
Reply 29
asdfg0987
Do you spend all the time you have in 'learning stuff' at university? What do you do on weekends?

Weekends -and weekdays (Weds afternoons are, by convention, empty of timetabled lectures/tutorials in order that sports can take place)- are a time of sport or societies or whatever you want to do to enjoy yourself.

The difference, as others have alluded to, is the non-professional aspect of sport at British universities - with only some exceptions. The sports at British unis are organised by the students, not the institutions.

Put it this way, if you went to a university in the States and wanted to take up a sport because you were interested in it, wanted to give it a go, etc, you wouldn't get close to competing for the university because you'd be up against people who have made that sport their entire life for longer than you've known what it is.

The British system is, whether deliberate or just the way it's gone, is open to all people to participate in some way.

Just for the record, the university I went to is -at best- described as mediocre, yet the list of sport societies on offer is huge:

American Football, Baseball, Basketball, Badminton, Boxing, Canoe & Kayak, Capoeira Conviver, Cricket, Football (Men's and Women's Teams), Mountaineering, Gaelic Football, Gliding, Golf, Hockey, Ice Hockey, In Line Hockey, Karate, Kung Fu, Netball, Ninjutsu, Pool, Rowing, Rugby League, Rugby Union (Men's and Women's Teams), Scuba Diving, Sky Diving, Snowsports, Squash, Swimming, Taekwondo, Tennis, Trampolining, Ultimate Frisbee, Wing Chun.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
asdfg0987
true :tongue:. but it makes sense to give them scholarships based on their athletic abilities.

huh? No university, even in the US, will take you with less than the required GPA. I can name many athletes who have suffered this fate.
Reply 31
Its big in the states because

a) the standard is extremely high. Almost all pro players spent 4 years at college learning the game.
b) there are only 100 odd pro sports franchices spread over an entire continent. Pretty often the only sports team with in 200 miles in any direction is the local college. Hence people support them due to a lack of alternatives.

From that, everything else follows: the big stadia, the famous coaches, the whole process of recruiting athletes specifically to play sport.

Over here the football market is already saturated, and anyway very few professional footballers ever went to uni, so the standard is quite low.
Reply 32
Drewski
Weekends -and weekdays (Weds afternoons are, by convention, empty of timetabled lectures/tutorials in order that sports can take place)- are a time of sport or societies or whatever you want to do to enjoy yourself.

The difference, as others have alluded to, is the non-professional aspect of sport at British universities - with only some exceptions.

Put it this way, if you went to a university in the States and wanted to take up a sport because you were interested in it, wanted to give it a go, etc, you wouldn't get close to competing for the university because you'd be up against people who have made that sport their entire life for longer than you've known what it is.

The British system is, whether deliberate or just the way it's gone, is open to all people to participate in some way.

I just never hear it being talked about so i was curious if it was totally non existent. Apparently not, so that's good I guess.
There's not much competition between universities regarding sport (unless you count the Oxford/Cambridge boat race) but there's still plenty of sport that goes on.
Loughborough is famous for being big on sport.
Reply 34
S-man10
huh? No university, even in the US, will take you with less than the required GPA. I can name many athletes who have suffered this fate.

i know and i already mentioned this in my previous post. maybe you confused 'scholarship based on athletic ability' to gaining free admission to college.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
Loughborough University is usually regarded as the best place to STUDY sports in the UK.
(it's also especially highly regarded for Engineering). As for playing it, it'll be good for that as well but so are some other universities.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
Our sport is different. In football and rugby we have teams from different towns/cities while in America they have teams for American football and other sports from their universities.
Reply 37
Why give sports prominence in extra-cirricular matters though?

People also enjoy playing videogames, going to pubs / clubs, shopping. Sports may make us more healthy (to some extent) and encourage channelling our competiveness and also encouraging teamwork but to some people they are just a game, like Monopoly.
Reply 38
py0alb
Its big in the states because

a) the standard is extremely high. Almost all pro players spent 4 years at college learning the game.
b) there are only 100 odd pro sports franchices spread over an entire continent. Pretty often the only sports team with in 200 miles in any direction is the local college. Hence people support them due to a lack of alternatives.

From that, everything else follows: the big stadia, the famous coaches, the whole process of recruiting athletes specifically to play sport.

Over here the football market is already saturated, and anyway very few professional footballers ever went to uni, so the standard is quite low.

Hardly. Its only been 2 years since the NBA implemented the 'minimum age rule.' That figure is probably less than 40%.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
asdfg0987
i know and i already mentioned this in my previous post. maybe you confused 'scholarship based on athletic ability' to gaining free admission to college.

Scholarships is only based on athletics. The GPA is pretty much a formality. Although the university does have a right to resend admission should someone not graduate successfully. And its not as if they are all mid table universities. There are some very very good universities there as well. Stanford and Duke being an example.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending