The Student Room Group

Law? Wrong choices.

Hi there,

I went to leicester open day yesterday and decided I would like to study law at degree.
However, my choice of a-levels weren't geared for a particular choice of degree so I feel I have a disadvantage.
I am studying Chemistry Biology and Psychology at A-level and am predicted 3 A's. Do you think it would be possible for me to study law at University or would they reject me and favour students who have History, English and the like?

Thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Your subjects are fine...lol

Law doesn't really care about what you study!
helpneeded-a

Oh right. Ha ha. You 100% dear? Do you study law?
Live_Forever_10
Oh right. Ha ha. You 100% dear? Do you study law?

No, but every open day i've been to say the same thing..
helpneeded-a

I agree- its not really one of them subjects where you have tohave certain subjects or anything. One a-level they dont really like though is law.
Reply 5
I would not worry about a -level choice. Unlike most degrees, Law is a degree where you do not have to study specific subjects. Your skills of analysis in chem and bio coupled with your essay writing in psycology are good enough! So do not worry about that. I am studying chem, gov and pol, history and spanish at A2 and hope to study law!

Also, shadowing what the others have said above, make sure that you really want to study law. Its competitive and you need to show you passion!!

Good luck!
Trixy.Sam
I would not worry about a -level choice. Unlike most degrees, Law is a degree where you do not have to study specific subjects. Your skills of analysis in chem and bio coupled with your essay writing in psycology are good enough! So do not worry about that. I am studying chem, gov and pol, history and spanish at A2 and hope to study law!

Also, shadowing what the others have said above, make sure that you really want to study law. Its competitive and you need to show you passion!!

Good luck!

Nice one! And as you seem to know your stuff do you think work experience is a must? Or do you reckon Uni's know all you do is make cups of tea and all that malarkey!?
Reply 7
All the other posters are talking such crap if you want to go to a top level law uni. I was advised to do two essay based subjects, but you need a bare minimum of one (I'd presume psychology is such though?). Also, Law A2 is, according to the head of the law school at my university, now being regarded with increasing favour (although I didn't take it myself due to it not being offered at my school).
Reply 8
Live_Forever_10
Nice one! And as you seem to know your stuff do you think work experience is a must? Or do you reckon Uni's know all you do is make cups of tea and all that malarkey!?

Ha well i did some work experience, and all of it was worth it! (no making teas :smile: ) However, i didnt spend any time in a solicitors office, as the unis know that all we would do is the former!

I would personally try and visit courts and things like that. But also (if you haven't experienced it yet) it is very hard to find work experience in the first place, so if you only get a little bit, the unis understand. Overall i wouldn't panic about only having a little bit :smile:

x

Latest

Trending

Trending