The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
4Ed
Can anyone tell me more about the options available for going to Imperial? Where/what kind of accomodation, are the halls of res just Imp college, or do you share with Uni of London students as well. How much it all costs. And anything else helpful.

Thanks very much.

I know by bf pays £92 a week for a single room in Southside Halls-right opposite the college. However, these are being knocked down next year........!
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
claire1985
I know by bf pays £92 a week for a single room in Southside Halls-right opposite the college. However, these are being knocked down next year........!

omg that's alot of money.... what's the student loan like?
I'm not at imperial, but I am at LSE so I do have experience of being a student in London.

Imperial itself has it's own halls and also has accommodation in intercollegiate (University of London) halls. These might be worth going for, but I've heard from my friends in them that they aren't too good compared with LSE accommodation, so bear that in mind.

As for the student loan, mine is the minimum (around £3700- you do get slightly more for being in London) and it barely covers my accommodation (£105/week), so you do need other sources of finance to cope.
Reply 4
Does any1 know if they automatically send you a form or you must ring them up for it?
Reply 5
BossLady
Does any1 know if they automatically send you a form or you must ring them up for it?

You should get them from your school. And the Imperial accomodation is housed in Concrete City with only one catered hall.

J.
Reply 6
hornblower
You should get them from your school. And the Imperial accomodation is housed in Concrete City with only one catered hall.

J.

Imperial sends the accomodation form thru school???
I don't think so, unless they are different, because other uni's have been sending me accomodation forms directly to my home (although they've now stopped since i rejected em)
Reply 7
hornblower

J.

so would you recommend London Uni accomodation?
Reply 8
My brother studies at Imperial and is presently living in accomodation there. He's living in Beit Hall which is supposedly the best accomodation at Imperial. His room is reasonably sized but with quite a lot of storage space (much bigger than say the accomodation at UCL), ensuited (woohoo!) with a nice shower, newly decorated and self catered (but each student has their own locked compartment in the fridge which is really useful). He was extremely lucky to be assigned Beit Hall, students can't specifically ask for it so it really is the luck of the draw :smile:
Reply 9
Lucy
My brother studies at Imperial and is presently living in accomodation there. He's living in Beit Hall which is supposedly the best accomodation at Imperial. His room is reasonably sized but with quite a lot of storage space (much bigger than say the accomodation at UCL), ensuited (woohoo!) with a nice shower, newly decorated and self catered (but each student has their own locked compartment in the fridge which is really useful). He was extremely lucky to be assigned Beit Hall, students can't specifically ask for it so it really is the luck of the draw :smile:

Hey thanks for the info. (rep coming)
was your brother allowed to put down any preferences at all then?

and are there any catered halls?
Reply 10
MuvverRussia
I'm not at imperial, but I am at LSE so I do have experience of being a student in London.

Imperial itself has it's own halls and also has accommodation in intercollegiate (University of London) halls. These might be worth going for, but I've heard from my friends in them that they aren't too good compared with LSE accommodation, so bear that in mind.

As for the student loan, mine is the minimum (around £3700- you do get slightly more for being in London) and it barely covers my accommodation (£105/week), so you do need other sources of finance to cope.

Which halls do you stay in at LSE, i have applied for Carr Saunders and Roseberry as those were the only ones i could realistically afford. Do you have any insight into what they are like? Also, you don't happen to know anyone reading History there that could give me a bit of insight into that do you? I need help deciding!
Reply 11
4Ed
Hey thanks for the info. (rep coming)
was your brother allowed to put down any preferences at all then?

and are there any catered halls?

aw thanks :smile:

Imperial will send you some forms to fill in with first and second (and maybe third) choice preferences e.g. if you want a single/twin/triple room, catered etc. However there are no guarantees and they assign you a campus randomly (bearing in mind your preferences).

There are catered halls - Linstead Hall provides an evening meal whereas the Wye campus provides catered accomodation (which includes breakfast and lunch).
Reply 12
are they single rooms with bathrooms available? i am not too good at sharing.....how much would they be? would they be available to international students?
Reply 13
shunooh
are they single rooms with bathrooms available? i am not too good at sharing.....how much would they be? would they be available to international students?

Yes there are (my brother has one - really nice ensuite room :tongue: ) but the downside is that it's around £120 a week. They are available to international students, but there is no guarantee you will get an ensuited single room as they are a popular preference. NB these rooms are in self-catered halls (some international students find that a turn off, I'm not sure if it's the same with you :smile: ).
Reply 14
I've applied to I mperial too and if I'm lucky enough to get an offer I hope to God I'm not allocated in the communual Uni of London halls as they are complete sh*t holes to be honest! Ive only seen picture of the Imperial accomadation but it looks so much nicer but the only draw back is that you pay an awful lot for them. I'm looking to go in a single room self-catered hall, so I'm looking to pay about £90-£100 a week and I mean that is expensive for what it is, but if your looking at single ensuite catered halls boy are you going to pay a lot of money so make sure you choose wisely!

Luv
Reply 15
Lucy
Yes there are (my brother has one - really nice ensuite room :tongue: ) but the downside is that it's around £120 a week. They are available to international students, but there is no guarantee you will get an ensuited single room as they are a popular preference. NB these rooms are in self-catered halls (some international students find that a turn off, I'm not sure if it's the same with you :smile: ).

thanx......i would prefer self catered i think anyways.....
Reply 16
Lucy

that seems really expensive considering the rest of the country pay around 60! Looks I'm bound to share then :biggrin: I don't mind, my room mate would probably stop me oversleeping in the morning :biggrin:
also catered hall of res would be much better, as I wouldnt have to think about cooking when I come back in the evenings - if there is a catered hall fairly close (walking distance) to Imperial, I'd be sorted!

Incidentally, do you get cheaper tube fares if you're a student? Or do they still charge their ridiculous fees?
Reply 17
*bump*
Reply 18
how do we go about making accomedation arrangements for imperial....they havent sent me anything.....do i do it online?
BossLady
Imperial sends the accomodation form thru school???
I don't think so, unless they are different, because other uni's have been sending me accomodation forms directly to my home (although they've now stopped since i rejected em)

Sorry - I was referring to the LEA forms and not Imperial accomodation.

J.

Latest

Trending

Trending