The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MaddieNaddie
Thats exactly like us. There's only 5 of us that done credit last year that are in that class, the rest are 6th years that done Int 2 last year. They're dealing with it no bother while me and my other four sit gobsmacked. :p:

Only 5 5th years, last year in our class there was only 3 6th years (and like 26 or 27 5th years)

Anyways, good luck with english and everything else this year .... if you need help with English then just PM me or whatever anytime :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
ScottishShortiex
Only 5 5th years, last year in our class there was only 3 6th years (and like 26 or 27 5th years)

Yeah, my teacher is the new head of dept. (since the previous one retired.. He was so nice! :frown:) and she made put people at lower levels than they needed to be at. She tried to do that to me but I flipped and made sure I sat the credit. :p:

ScottishShortiex
If you need help with English then just PM me or whatever anytime :smile:

Thank yaaah! I'll keep you in mind :biggrin:!
Reply 22
MaddieNaddie
Right, so sorry if this is been posted like, alot but I'm new so forgive me? :smile:

Anyways, so I've just started 5th year and I'm finding it extremely hard to keep up. I've even considered just dropping out already. :frown: I've been so unbelieveably stressed and such. Is it like this for everyone? I mean, I know its hard at first but shouldn't I be getting the hang of it now?

If anyone is curious I'm sitting Higher english, Int 2 maths, Higher Art, Higher Music and crashing Higher Graphics.

Sorry for ranting but I need some kind of reassurance or maybe for someone to hit it home for me that I might fail. On the bright side, I'll at least pass art. :laugh:

Hey :]

I'm in 5th year too. I get stressed out when th edeadlines are close or when I get too much work :eek3:
Im used to doing work and I spent most of my time studying during the holidays :rolleyes:
However, I think if you keep up with what you have to do and don't fall back then its much better than always rushing. I try to revise the stuff that we do in shcool or atleast just look over my notes but I don't always get around to do it :rolleyes: but I think if you revise a little by little then you should be fine :smile: so don't worry because stress is bad! So relax and do things with a cool head :wink:

I'm doing Higher English, Graphics, Computing and Physics + Int2 Woodworking Skills.

Higher Graphics :yep: :love:
I really enjoy Graphics and it must be pretty hard to crash Higher Graphics but it they let you do it then its definately doable. In my school last year 10 people did Higher and only 4 of them passed the exam.
My teacher said that it was because they didn't revise in the last 2 weeks before the exam and you will soon realise (if you haven't already) that it can screw you over if you don' remember stuff after the october hols or Xmas.
My teacher said that everyone got As for their thematic presentations and that how they got Bs despite that some of them failed the exam. I'm not sure if you have started yours already but I think work on it a little everyday so you won't end up doing a drawing the night before the deadline :rolleyes:
Also, there the Higher Graphcis book that teaches the "theory" part of the course and thats pretty good (the blue booklet) :yep:

Higher Art :s-smilie:
I dropped it and took Woodworking Skills instead. In WW we don't get homework and no exam and its a very laid back course :yep: Imo Art was too time consuming and my teacher wasn't very helpful so I decided Im gonna drop it and focus on my other subjects :yep:
Don't get me wrong though.
If you enjoy it then its all good but the deadlines and all that were too much to handle and I just didn't enjoy it at all. SG was better - we hardly did any work and still managed to get a 2 (I left everything till the end :yep: )
In my school the Art department isn't the best anyway so I don't think I lost much :rolleyes:

Higher English :confused:
I'm not gonna lie but I don't know how I ended up in a Higher Class :eek3:
I was doing int2 before the summer hol. then I got moved up to Higher (I didnt want to do 5 Highers so I dropped H Art :rolleyes: )
Our nab is going to be as soon as we get back after the hol. We did a practice NAB and I got 16 out of 30 :woo: Just passed :tongue:
I find close reading a bit better (not easier!) than SG. Im aiming for a B but I will have to work more =/
I think you are not the only one who finds it hard.
Higher English is a b*tch :yep:
I have some notes that my teacher gave us (textual analysis) commas and all that :tongue: I could send it to you or something because it is very helpful. Also if you are wanting to do more revision on CR then you should get the How to Pass blabla CR. I think its quite helpful. It gives you an example then you have to do it on your own. I hope you are going to pass :p:

Sorry about the typos, its a bit late :rolleyes:

Good Luck :woo:
Some people think 5th year is fine but there are countless of others who struggle with it from day 1 right the way through the year. I struggled at first but then I got the hang of it - all you need to do is look over the stuff you did during that school day at home and you should be fine. Once you do this then you should be fine. 5th year is by no means a walk in the park but you need to be more independent if you want to do well. For English, I got C's and very low B's all the way throughout the year and there was nothing I could do about it. Then I realised, a few weeks before the exam, that I could change my grade so I just studied very hard, looked over all my texts thoroughly and mastered close reading - I came out with an A band 1. So don't give up just yet because everything will seem to click in towards the end of the year - even if you don't realise it.
(edited 13 years ago)
I only did English out of the subjects you're doing. I think that, with English you're kind of thrown in at the deep end. With other subjects, the difficulty can be increased, but with English you're marked against the Higher standards from the beginning, although there's obviously the timing element.
Reply 25
I am finding fifth year really stressful too. I just don't seem to have the motivation to study anything anymore. I'm doing higher maths,english,french,modern studies and biology and honestly feel like giving up. My maths and french teachers are useless, i am not even sure why i took biology because i really can't do it, and my english teacher has been off for the past three weeks so we have spent the whole time with supply teachers doing naff all. I honestly feel like killing myself everytime i think about school.
Reply 26
English is an absolute bitch of a subject, I got a C with a very good teacher. It really needs dedication, remembering the techniques and QUOTES QUOTES QUOTES!! These are vital to your success in the exam as you will need to do two essays about texts you have read. I know I could have done far better if I'd revised my quotes. Close Reading is a steep slope to climb, but our teacher would sometimes just randomly hit us with exam questions and we'd do them there and then. We did this through the year and it really makes you aware of the progress you make. I'm re-sitting it this year as I love the subject and was pretty disappointed at a C... but if all you want is a C, it doesn't take much to be perfectly honest, you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 27
Adala
Higher English is a b*tch :yep:

Ah-hah. :p: Art is VERY time consuming, even more so mixed in with music but it helps me relax.. even if the deadlines are daunting :p:.

Graphics is so much fun!! :biggrin: Even if I get stuck alot. :yep:

I think english must be my worst subject tbh. We've had TONS of notes and we have the "How To Pass blahblahblah :p:" but I just cant seem to grasp it :frown:. But you could send me the notes if you wish? Any help I can get will probably be very good...
Reply 28
TheKnowledge
I came out with an A band 1. So don't give up just yet because everything will seem to click in towards the end of the year - even if you don't realise it.

Oh man, you sound sooo much like me (with the C's and low B's). Even during SG I was expected 4's, then I studied.. alot. Then came out with my proud 2's :biggrin:. And that A is impressive :p:. Yeah, I'm gonna work my butt off this whole year.. Lets hope it works :yep:.
5th year can be stressful so be aware...

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
sandys1000
I think that, with English you're kind of thrown in at the deep end.

Gosh, you can say that again. They told us if we didnt get credit 1s then we'd deffo struggle (and probably fail) with Higher. So silly me just went for it because I thought they were just over exaggerating. I had NO idea it was this hard. I'm just gonna have to work 100000000 times harder than everyone else and manage to keep calm at the same time :p:.
Reply 31
Alt__x
I am finding fifth year really stressful too.

Oh dude, I'm so sorry :frown:. My 4 highers are tough enough as it is. 5 highers in 5th year? I'm impressed. My sister done 5 (in 6th year but still..) and in the end came out with As :smile:. She'd cry and stuff cause it was stressful and I thought she was just being dramatic.. I guess not :eek:.

We can fight through 5th year together!! :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
burial
but if all you want is a C, it doesn't take much to be perfectly honest, you'll be fine :smile:

That's all I'm looking for! :p: To get into the course I want I only need 1 higher in english or art... But I'd rather have my options open y'know?

And our teacher makes us do random assessments which hardly any of us pass :s-smilie:. I dont want to blame her cause I think I'm partly to blame for my failing but still.. most the class failing? Please. :mad:
Reply 33
Heather with the Weather
6th year can be stressful so be aware..

So I've heard. All my 6th year friends are stressing about their Personal Statements mostly (excluding Advanced Highers of course :p:). I'm wanting to work my ass off now and take it as easy as possible in 6th year.. and do my maths higher :smile:.

And that picture creeped me the hell out :laugh:
MaddieNaddie
Gosh, you can say that again. They told us if we didnt get credit 1s then we'd deffo struggle (and probably fail) with Higher. So silly me just went for it because I thought they were just over exaggerating. I had NO idea it was this hard. I'm just gonna have to work 100000000 times harder than everyone else and manage to keep calm at the same time :p:.

It's easily possible, I got a 1 for SG but my essays were pretty crap to start with, you just need to get used to the way the SQA want you to structure your essays. I know several people with 2s who ended up with A/Bs and many of them (and me) weren't naturally English inclined, so what your teacher says isnt necessarily true :smile:

Heather with the Weather

6th year can be stressful so be aware...

Stressful wouldnt be the word I'd use to describe sixth year so far :p:
Reply 35
sandys1000
so what your teacher says isnt necessarily true :smile:

I hope so. :smile:

sandys1000

Are you one of the lucky few to be able to dog most of your classes? :laugh:
sandys1000

:eek: Opps, thanks for pointing that out, I had meant to write 5th year.

See how us 6th years are stressed as well... :sad:
There is far, far too much stress in this thread. :lolwut:

sandys1000

You're setting on a damn fine crop of Highers, and applying solely to Scottish universities, presumably for first year entry. Those applying for high-competition courses, with poorer grades, or for English universities/second year entry (and consequently expecting conditionals) may wish to beat you over the head with heavy objects if you rub it in their face too much. :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
MaddieNaddie
I hope so. :smile:

Are you one of the lucky few to be able to dog most of your classes? :laugh:

No, I actually have classes for half the time i'm in school :p:
MaddieNaddie
So I've heard. All my 6th year friends are stressing about their Personal Statements mostly (excluding Advanced Highers of course :p:). I'm wanting to work my ass off now and take it as easy as possible in 6th year.. and do my maths higher :smile:.

And that picture creeped me the hell out :laugh:

That was meant to be "5th year is so stressful..." Silly me :facepalm: but to be fair, 6th year can be as equally as stressful and more.

I think the picture is quite smart.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending