The Student Room Group

BA Performing Arts/Drama which incorporates Singing/Musical Theatre

Hey guys,

So I've found it really difficult to find Musical Theatre courses around the country. The only ones available are either at Top Drama Schools where there is always the higher chance of not getting into, then the Drama Schools which do not receive Government Funding, and then the rest left are just Foundation Degree's.

Does anyone know anywhere that has drama/performing arts degree's where there's a path you can take in singing or musical theatre at all please?

Thanks
Reply 1
Do a normal one but join a Musical Theatre Society?

Some universities have one - I Treasured for Coventry's. Where are you looking to study?
Reply 2
I've just added it to my signature :smile:

UEA is self-explanatory, Rose Bruford offers education in all industry skills whilst still an emphasis on performance and has a unit on Broadway theatre. Then Portsmouth just has an interesting and suitable course.

I am trying to keep to places in London and the South, however UEA and such I could make an exception for.

I didn't consider there would be MT societies, that would be great, but I'd love to be able to gain that sort of training and education through a course that I'm not paying 10,000pa to do.
Reply 3
im in exactly the same position as you, and the drama schools and normal universities that have normal tuition fees (3000 something) i liked were: birmingham school of acting, bristol old vic theatre school, CSSD, drama centre london, east 15 acting school, guildhall, LIPA, LAMDA, manchester met uni school of theatre, rose bruford college, RADA, the manchester college (arden), urdang...
my course is very interdisciplinary
i'm at CSSD doing BA Theatre practice: performance arts
Reply 5
francescarella
my course is very interdisciplinary
i'm at CSSD doing BA Theatre practice: performance arts

I was really interested in the look of this course. I don't suppose you have any time to explain to me what its like and how its benefiting what you do. I just saw that you need to present a portfolio of your creative thinking and such. That is one thing I am lacking..
Original post by Cjhill1992
I was really interested in the look of this course. I don't suppose you have any time to explain to me what its like and how its benefiting what you do. I just saw that you need to present a portfolio of your creative thinking and such. That is one thing I am lacking..

it's for those interested in alternative theatre as well as mainstream, those who want to write, direct, produce etc. I'm channeling casting and stage management atm whilst producing my own play for my third year project as well as doing a dissertation and dilm documentary alongside it. we have internships (which we get ourselves) out in the industry. people do all sorts of things and go all over the country and the world even for them. you do movement and performance, but you dont learn acting professionally. also, my portfolio was bag of crap and i still got in!
There's BA Music Theatre at UCLan.
Original post by francescarella
it's for those interested in alternative theatre as well as mainstream, those who want to write, direct, produce etc. I'm channeling casting and stage management atm whilst producing my own play for my third year project as well as doing a dissertation and dilm documentary alongside it. we have internships (which we get ourselves) out in the industry. people do all sorts of things and go all over the country and the world even for them. you do movement and performance, but you dont learn acting professionally. also, my portfolio was bag of crap and i still got in!

Sorry to butt in (hey btw! I remember you from the Wicked soc!) but your course sounds frigging AMAZING! :tongue:
Original post by diamonddust
Sorry to butt in (hey btw! I remember you from the Wicked soc!) but your course sounds frigging AMAZING! :tongue:

it is pretty unique. as long as you're willing to learn about bizarre performance art and experimental theatre, then you cna pretty much do whataver the hell you want creatively and artistically. the contacts i hve gained as well as the vast array of experience is quite frankly ridiculous. just a fortnight ago i was part of stage management at the Garrick Theatre, partying with pixie lott and some dude worth £32billion. and last month i was working for pippa ailion casting, casting west end musicals and chatting to hollywood agents, going to shows like WWRY for free :smile: my life is pretty epic.
Original post by francescarella
it is pretty unique. as long as you're willing to learn about bizarre performance art and experimental theatre, then you cna pretty much do whataver the hell you want creatively and artistically. the contacts i hve gained as well as the vast array of experience is quite frankly ridiculous. just a fortnight ago i was part of stage management at the Garrick Theatre, partying with pixie lott and some dude worth £32billion. and last month i was working for pippa ailion casting, casting west end musicals and chatting to hollywood agents, going to shows like WWRY for free :smile: my life is pretty epic.

:eek: Are you trying to make me spontaneously combust with jealousy? :tongue:
But seriously, wow! *reconsiders doing English* :tongue:

Latest