The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Just wondering about perks and stuff of the job! Don't start the new store until October but from September the employees will be going to other stores in Northern Ireland to train for 6 weeks.

As it is a new store, does the 20 odd week wait on our discount card apply? It would be really helpful for Uni groceries and Xmas presents!

Also, what is the format for breaks? I have worked in McDonald's for over a year and we get a 45 min unpaid break every 6 hours but that includes a free meal! Are the breaks paid or unpaid at asda and is there some kind of canteen for employees usually?

Also how does holiday pay work? I didn't want to be cheeky and ask any of this stuff at the interview and my induction isn't for one month!
Original post by rjadamson
Just wondering about perks and stuff of the job! Don't start the new store until October but from September the employees will be going to other stores in Northern Ireland to train for 6 weeks.

As it is a new store, does the 20 odd week wait on our discount card apply? It would be really helpful for Uni groceries and Xmas presents!

Also, what is the format for breaks? I have worked in McDonald's for over a year and we get a 45 min unpaid break every 6 hours but that includes a free meal! Are the breaks paid or unpaid at asda and is there some kind of canteen for employees usually?

Also how does holiday pay work? I didn't want to be cheeky and ask any of this stuff at the interview and my induction isn't for one month!

Hi,

You get your discount card after 12 weeks. Breaks: 4 hours+ are 15 mins paid, if you work over a meal time then you get 30 mins unpaid, and 6 hours+ is 20 mins paid (if not over a meal time). At my store there is a canteen (pretty cheap) but I don't know if all stores have this.

Holiday pay - you fill in a holiday request form, give it to your manager who will authorise/not authorise it. You will be paid for the actual hours you miss that you're contracted to work but not for any overtime (obviously). Try and do it early as you don't want to miss out!

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Original post by MelissaJayne
go on the pay rise! 1 more fruit salad chew per hour. Get in.

Too right! :legend:

Rawr..
Ive got a one 2 one interview coming up on tuesday. How do I do well?

Also, if results go well i'll be off to uni in october, should i tell them this?

Original post by number23
Ive got a one 2 one interview coming up on tuesday. How do I do well?

Also, if results go well i'll be off to uni in october, should i tell them this?

To be honest the questions will be simple, just the basic questions to be honest.

Are you going to a uni in the same city or moving away? The can't discriminate against you going to uni, but at the same time if you are only going to be there a month is there any point in taking the job? You probably won't get to start properly for a few weeks, it'd be a waste of your time and theirs, as they'd be spending a lot of money on training you only for you to leave in a few weeks?
So glad about the pay rise. Mine will go up to £7.08 ph !! :smile:
Original post by twinkle.twinkle
To be honest the questions will be simple, just the basic questions to be honest.

Are you going to a uni in the same city or moving away? The can't discriminate against you going to uni, but at the same time if you are only going to be there a month is there any point in taking the job? You probably won't get to start properly for a few weeks, it'd be a waste of your time and theirs, as they'd be spending a lot of money on training you only for you to leave in a few weeks?

i'm going to uni far away, in october so looking for a job for 1 and a half months

hmm maybe i should just tell them and see?
Yeah, I would. It's not really fair on other people going for the job who have no Uni ahead of them to be fair.
Reply 2108
was wondering, applied for a job at asda, had the magic and interview which was in week 1 of up to 4 weeks of interviews.. been 3 weeks since my interview... but my question is would they change the status of people who definitely won't get a job to unsuccessful during the interview process or wait to the end and do them all at the same time?
Original post by MelissaJayne
QFA

Spoke to my manager about becoming seasonal. She said that you have to have worked there for 6 months to become seasonal, so unless they have any vacancies in my Uni town (Bham) I would probably have to leave! :frown: Going to speak to the people manager tomorrow and see if I can try and stay!!!
So guys, when's the next pay day?
I started work Friday the 10th ( best welcome ) so was wondering if I'll be eligible for the next payday or if I'll have to wait for like a month :smile:
Cheers!!

Rawr..
Does anyone else have to call their store to find out their rota after theyve been on holiday?

I need to call mine up today, and just realised I only have the store number thats on the website >.< hopefully thats where they sent the info, because they wrote down what day i'd be calling and stuff.

Gah, I hate using the phone as well >.<
Reply 2112
Original post by MusicalTheatre
So guys, when's the next pay day?
I started work Friday the 10th ( best welcome ) so was wondering if I'll be eligible for the next payday or if I'll have to wait for like a month :smile:
Cheers!!

Rawr..

Next pay day is 24th August, probably. Don't quote me on that though. As far as I know that means you get paid for any shifts up to 18th August. So you'll probably receive some money on the next payday. :smile:
Reply 2113
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Spoke to my manager about becoming seasonal. She said that you have to have worked there for 6 months to become seasonal, so unless they have any vacancies in my Uni town (Bham) I would probably have to leave! :frown: Going to speak to the people manager tomorrow and see if I can try and stay!!!

I applied for a temp position but was offered a seasonal due to university, don't see why you'd have to wait for six months....
Original post by Deshi
I applied for a temp position but was offered a seasonal due to university, don't see why you'd have to wait for six months....

I think its because I'm on a permanent contract. What my manager has said now though, is that if I give her a letter saying I want to work Christmas, Easter and Summer next year, they might be able to keep me :smile:
Original post by Jazzeh
Next pay day is 24th August, probably. Don't quote me on that though. As far as I know that means you get paid for any shifts up to 18th August. So you'll probably receive some money on the next payday. :smile:

Ooh thanks love! That sounds about right, I knew it was a couple of weeks after I started. :biggrin: working something stupid like 42 hours this week so I'm exited :P
Thankyoooou!!! Xx

Rawr..
I don't know really, my friend applied too and didn't get an interview. Did you get an interview?
All I can say is you've got to be flexible, be able to deal with people, loads of smiling an energy but then being able to be reserved in the right situations. 100% honesty. I used to have bad attendance and have had some difficulties with mental health and stuff, I told then everything and how well I've been doing this past year and they loved that. :smile: hope this helps? If not just keep trying!!
You'll get somewhere in the end!

Rawr..
Reply 2117
Hi, I need some advice from anyone who's ever switched from a normal part time contract to seasonal.
I'm moving to uni at the start of October and have been told by work that I need to submit a request in writing to one of the managers to go seasonal. But I have no idea what to say? Other than the dates that I'd be at uni and the fact that I want to keep my job. Can someone help me out?

Alsooo, if I wanted a termtime transfer, would this be dealt with in the same way or do I have to approach the store in my uni town myself?
Original post by fiona_x
Hi, I need some advice from anyone who's ever switched from a normal part time contract to seasonal.
I'm moving to uni at the start of October and have been told by work that I need to submit a request in writing to one of the managers to go seasonal. But I have no idea what to say? Other than the dates that I'd be at uni and the fact that I want to keep my job. Can someone help me out?

Alsooo, if I wanted a termtime transfer, would this be dealt with in the same way or do I have to approach the store in my uni town myself?

Something like:

"Dear *your manager*

As you may be aware I will be heading to University this September which means I will be no longer available to fullfill my part time contract. However I don't wish to leave the company and would like to exchange my part time contract for a seasonal one. The following dates will give some indication of my seasonal availability.

*List off dates you leave / come back*

I look forward to staying with the company and returning to *store location* ASDA when not studying at University.

Yours Sincerely,
*Name*

*Contact Phone* "

As for a transfer I filled out a transfer form, which you can get from your people manager (PM / PSM) in admin, just go ask for a transfer form and also ask if there is anything else you need to do. You could also contact the potential store and ask for there PSM and just ask if they would have a position for you. I'm part way through my transfer and will be arranging it with my manager today, so I'll let you know if you need to do anything else.
Reply 2119
got offered a job today... phonecall didn't tell me much.. 8 hour contract.. said it would be split into two 4 hour shifts between friday night and saturday night... does that sound normal or have I picked that up wrong? I was on a train at the time so couldn't hear too well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending