The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrhea04
What's the cut off point for hours for that months pay? Is it a week before payday?

Yeah, it is. The friday before.

Original post by beckyyyyy
hmm well they definitely said that to us!

Weird...

Original post by wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn
So... I had my Asda Magic on thursday 4th August, and the day after (the friday) I got a phone call telling me I was successful but they didn't have any interview dates yet (new store opening) and that they'd phone me back in a few days. So by the next again friday, I hadn't heard anything so I phoned them up and the woman I spoke to told me that the department I had been put into wasn't interviewing until she had gathered all her candidates, so another two weeks. Fair enough.

So, two weeks later, I STILL haven't heard anything, so I phoned them again yesterday. I spoke to the same woman and told me she wasn't upstairs with the computer so she would have to phone me back. She said it in a way that implied that she would phone me back in 5 minutes. So, a day later and she still hasn't phoned me back.

So, I phoned her again at 3.45pm this afternoon, and I explained to her that three weeks later, I still don't have an interview and no one has ever phoned me back. What date was your magic? - The forth. For what department? - I'm not sure, no one has ever told me. Ok, one second... Then I hear her tapping away on the comp and she mutters Home and Leisure and says to another girl next to her, One of yours, Jane?, and Jane says Nope, and so the woman comes back onto the phone and says, Sorry, we'll have to phone you back once we've found out what department your file is in. - Ok...

I'm never getting phoned back, am I? :frown:

That's horrible. Speak to a general store manager about it.. that's not fair at all.
Original post by AndSparkles

Weird...

That's horrible. Speak to a general store manager about it.. that's not fair at all.

I would but I actually don't know how to contact anyone else except this woman because the store isn't built yet and it's based at a recruitment centre. I'll phone her again on monday, I suppose I have nothing to lose. I wish someone else would pick up the phone though! :frown:
Reply 982
Original post by AndSparkles

Thanks, guess that means I'll be asking about not being paid for the 25 hours I did before that point
If your talking about permenantly changing your shifts you would have to speak to your department manager. However, if you are talking about changing your shifts for an odd week or two you would have to do the same, he/she may want you to shift swap/find cover depending on the size of the store.

I've worked for asda for two years on the process team and never had a problem with changing shifts!
Reply 984
Does anyone know their policy on tattoo's?
I have Asda Magic next week, and have a tattoo on each wrist. Both can obviously be covered with long sleeved tops, but I'd prefer to be open with Asda, rather than try to hide them :smile:
Original post by tosh999
was applying to asda online, however when I click do to assessments all it says is pending assessment and has the close button? So how do I do the online assessment?

I went in store to ask for an app but they said its all online, fair enough I guess.

I cannot seem to find a contact number for asda that handles recruitment, as clearly there is some sort of technical error that I cannot access the assessment

i'm desperate ... get me a job :smile:
Original post by m.a.n.d.y
Hey!
When you are voiding stuff, if the voids total more than £3 (I think it's £3) then you need to get an override so it's not anything you're doing wrong!

So if u scan something then scan it again, just press 'void last item' and it'll take that last one off. If you're voiding something that you scanned a few items ago, just press 'void item' and then scan :-)

Hope that helps you! Does my flaming head in when alcohol scans twice haha you definitely need an override then!

Thanks a lot for the reply! I know what you mean with the alcohol..it drives me maaaaad! Checkouts are fine now, but I am sad to leave now, have met some awesome people along the way, no matter how boring it can be sometimes!

:smile:
Reply 987
Hi :smile:

I've managed to get through both interviews and got offered a job this morning :smile:
I was just wondering, in terms of uniform, what gets provided? And is it given to you at the induction/training days?

Reply 988
Original post by Tanyapops
Hi :smile:

I've managed to get through both interviews and got offered a job this morning :smile:
I was just wondering, in terms of uniform, what gets provided? And is it given to you at the induction/training days?

Congratulations! What department will you be working in?

I think you're entitled to different amounts depending on the hours you'll be working. I'm going to be working on weekends and I've been given 2 shirts (choice of longsleeve/short sleeve) a gillet, a fleece and some trousers (with a skirt option). My manager rang me to get the sizes and then I was phoned about a week later to go and collect it :smile:
Reply 989
So asda only till train there staff if there 18+?
Aaaargh! Start training tomorrow....... :/ Anyone off to Moorthorpe Training Centre tomorrow :s-smilie:
Reply 991
Original post by Baula

I think you're entitled to different amounts depending on the hours you'll be working. I'm going to be working on weekends and I've been given 2 shirts (choice of longsleeve/short sleeve) a gillet, a fleece and some trousers (with a skirt option). My manager rang me to get the sizes and then I was phoned about a week later to go and collect it :smile:

Thank you! :smile: umm grocery I think.

Ah right okay... I'm working friday afternoons and sundays, so do you think I'll get the same as you? And so I won't need to buy trousers then, they're provided? (I have a major lack of black trousers in my wardrobe! Haha) Nobody rang me about sizes, I just had to write a uniform size on the letter I signed to accept the job offer.
Reply 992

Ah right okay... I'm working friday afternoons and sundays, so do you think I'll get the same as you? And so I won't need to buy trousers then, they're provided? (I have a major lack of black trousers in my wardrobe! Haha) Nobody rang me about sizes, I just had to write a uniform size on the letter I signed to accept the job offer.

Nice, I'm on Home and Leisure :smile:

Yeah I'd imagine it'll be the same. Don't get too excited about the trousers though, they have a small label on the side that say ASDA :tongue: I'm quite pleased with them to be honest - I usually really struggle to get the right length but these fitted perfectly :biggrin:

The only thing you have to buy yourself are the shoes.
Original post by Baula

I work 26 hours a week, and I only got a short sleeved shirt and trousers that don't fit at all.

Tbh, it depends more on what personnel have got in stock then the hours you work.

Original post by Experting
So asda only till train there staff if there 18+?

Yep. Also have to be 18+ for petrol and kiosk too. Think it's the same for self scan as well.

And although trousers are provided.. please take into consideration the fitting is RUBBISH. If you have baggy/loose black trousers, try and get away with them. :smile:
Original post by Baula
Nice, I'm on Home and Leisure :smile:

Yeah I'd imagine it'll be the same. Don't get too excited about the trousers though, they have a small label on the side that say ASDA :tongue: I'm quite pleased with them to be honest - I usually really struggle to get the right length but these fitted perfectly :biggrin:
The only thing you have to buy yourself are the shoes.

You must be extremely tall.. with a tiny waist.
Original post by jonathanadams

Original post by jonathanadams
If your talking about permenantly changing your shifts you would have to speak to your department manager. However, if you are talking about changing your shifts for an odd week or two you would have to do the same, he/she may want you to shift swap/find cover depending on the size of the store.

I've worked for asda for two years on the process team and never had a problem with changing shifts!

Yeah, permanently changing my shifts, because I'm going back to college. Would I be able to switch from a supermarket(Netto conversion) to a 24-hour superstore? How far in advance would I have to noify management? I'm assuming not that long because some people were transferred from our store to another within a week.
Hello, I haven't seen anyone else have this before. I've been on holiday the last week and didn't take my mobile with me. I get home and find a missed call from a local number I've rung it tonight and got to an ASDA answerphone, bearing in mind I have only completed the online part of the application I don't know what they want?
I'll ring back tomorrow but I thought it'll be nice to know what to expect. Thanks :smile:

EDIT: Forgot to mention this is an express your interest role for a new store if that makes a difference?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 997
just a quick question.. ive got my first night shift next week 1-pm until 9am...im trained on checkout and self scan. will i be on these or made to stack shelves? cause im as weak as a fly! haha
Reply 998
Ok so I've finally got my Asda Magic group interview today at 2PM! Wish me luck :smile: ... will report back on whatever is going to happen in the interview.

I applied online and received an email after about 5 days saying that they would love to consider me, so there was a link in the email which i had to open to find a calender type thing to book myself onto the group interview.
Reply 999
Original post by Becca_1992
My mum said it'll be aload of form filling and talking about Asda's policies etc :frown: Although how they can do that for 2/3 days I've no idea lol. There must be other stuff involved.

Hey there Becca, I wanted to ask u.. If i pass the group interview and im called back for the one to one, does that mean i basically secured the job or can i still get rejected at the second interview? Thankyouu :rolleyes:

EDIT: ooopss sorry quoted wrong Becca
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending