The Student Room Group

Oxbridge - What's the big deal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ncsjohn02
poor, very poor. youre merely stating the obvious. so tell me now, are you saying the system is perfect? that every admissions officer at oxbridge is a perfect judge of man? please. you have yet to leave your fragile little bubble.

it is a claim that does not need evidence per se because of what it implies. apparently for all your fancy (albeit forced attempts) vocabulary you cannot for the life of you comprehend the simple concept of imperfection innate in the system. :facepalm:

'fancy vocabulary'? If you consider my vocabulary 'fancy' then I invite you to open any novel ever written. You might be in for a shock. Also, I left the bubble when I left high school, before I started college.

Anyway. No, I'm not saying the system is perfect. I never was. But I am saying that their judgment (that's right - the judgment of seasoned academics, often world leaders in their field) is, and always will be, a greater reflection of the abilities and potential of a student than yours.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
(1) you get personal guidance from uber academics, rather than just getting lectures and having to learn everything, without any guidance, from books.
(2) you get to walk into any job, evar.
(3) everyone there is clever, so you don't have to be around R tards.

there's 3.

edit: piss off with your negs, I already said i was trollin'

(2) i beg to disagree, my dad got a Maths Degree from Cambridge, a few years ago now! He applied to a Graduate Teacher Programme to train as a Maths teacher, at two different local schools, both times turned down. It takes more than a degree to get a job!
Original post by TimmonaPortella
(1) you get personal guidance from uber academics, rather than just getting lectures and having to learn everything, without any guidance, from books.
(2) you get to walk into any job, evar.
(3) everyone there is clever, so you don't have to be around R tards.

there's 3.

edit: piss off with your negs, I already said i was trollin'

lol at the sixformer, you will get flamed for this by so many posters. prepare yourself.
Reply 63
The prestige is immense. And of course they are top universities, though there are plenty of institutions that are closer to Oxbridge than people like to think.
Original post by chlobofro
I'm not against them at all. I just want to know the reasons why one should apply there? How would it benefit me?

It is quite amusing - those who criticise Oxbridge are mostly, if not mainly, those who are not applying there due to society, thinking 'they are not good enough' etc.

I advise you to go and research the universities and the histories and the influence that the universities - especially Cambridge - hold today.,

For personal interest - are you applying there?

Chances are that you are not applying there, because you would not have constructed this thread...
Original post by chlobofro
I'm not against them at all. I just want to know the reasons why one should apply there? How would it benefit me?

Oxford and Cambridge are the world's oldest universities and they also rank amongst the world's best universities -- by going to either of the two your life is likely to change for the better if it is God's will.
You will get more job offers, better salaries and be a part of the creme de la creme... yet that is up to God.

You will have Mercs, Louis Vuittons, Cavier .... what more reasons do you want ???
(edited 13 years ago)
A 2.2 or 3rd from Oxbridge due to apathy/laziness/personal issues isn't of much use in employment terms. You can have as high an IQ as you want and be as talented as you want, but there's certain hoops you need to jump through, and luck you require. The person interviewing you will probably be more stupid than you. If you're a bit arrogant, and they have a chip on their shoulder as a non-Oxbridge grad, it may turn out bad.
Reply 67
Prestige is probably one of the biggest reasons. I'd say particularly if you're applying to a traditional course such as law where the prestige of your uni is frequently, though not always, influential on your career prospects. I spoke to a guy studying law at Oxford and he said that in 8 days he was taken to dinner 5 nights by different law firms. Prestige helps make contacts for the future.

However, there are equally respectable unis where you'll get an excellent education. Though having access to strong tutors helps, uni should be what you make of it. And like people say, even if you went to Oxford, if you're a lazy dick no one is going to hire you.
Reply 68
There both some of the most prestigous unversities in the world?
As this thread has been oh so inevitably hijacked by the pro and anti oxbridge lobbys, the simple answer to the question is that they are the two best universities in the country, and two of the best universities in the world with global prestige.
Reply 70
In reply to the original post, I'm applying to Oxford for 2011 entry, there are a number of reasons for it

1) I enjoy studying the subject I have applied for, and the chance to work and discuss my subject with some of the leading academics for that area is one I'd love.

2) The college/tutorial system is one I feel that would suit my learning style well. I tend to learn best when I'm discussing the subject at hand and being challenged on my opinions. I also liked the more personal feel of the colleges rather than just being thrown into one big melting pot with thousands of others.

Obviously, job prospects etc play a part in it too, but the main reason I've applied is that I enjoy my subject and I feel the tutorial style would suit me.

I will admit though that the first thing that caught my attention when I was considering where to apply last year was the "prestige" but that was more the bait to get me to explore further, rather than the reason I'm actually applying.
Harvard - what's the (even bigger) deal? Money. Same reason.

(Out of interest and in comparison Harvard has a value endowment of over triple that of Cambridge's).
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by 1802ibrahim
Oxford and Cambridge are the world's oldest universities

No they are not.

Bologna, Paris, Oxford, Cambridge, Padua
Original post by milesofsea
Harvard - what's the (even bigger) deal? Money. Same reason.

If you get a 1st/2.1 then yes. Otherwise, you're screwed anyway.
Original post by Physics Enemy
If you get a 1st/2.1 then yes. Otherwise, you're screwed anyway.

Right but we're taking this from the point of view of someone who might be casually observing the benefits of going to various universities. i.e what 'the big deal' is.
Reply 75
1) They are very good academic institutions, and 2) the prestige, when it come to future employment.

Having said that, a lot of people on TSR have this idea that where your uni is in the league tables is the absolute most important thing in your life BAR NOTHING, and these people are clearly morons.
Original post by milesofsea
Right but we're taking this from the point of view of someone who might be casually observing the benefits of going to various universities. i.e what 'the big deal' is.

There's a wide range of possibilities of what happens at university though, that ironically far exceed the differences between the elite universities (which we all talk about). We all love to debate the Oxbridge vs whatever else threads.

The reality is that there's a wide range of possibilities. One student can be miserable, depressed, have big personal problems and consequently end up doing poorly in the degree or dropping out mid-way altogether. Another student may have an amazing time, be really happy and involved, have a large network and study hard to earn a 1st class degree. This same thing happens at other universities too.

So what was once a bright student, the creme de la creme and someone who 'has it made', is suddenly sidelined onto the scrapheap whilst mediocre grads with 2.1's from wherever else actually have better prospects.

None of this ever seems to be discussed on forums though. I know people, personally, who are 'geniuses' with fantastic GCSE's/A-Levels/AEA & STEP/IQs who went to Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial, but just had a torrid time at uni.

And *poooof* goes the prospects.
Reply 77
Original post by geetar
1) They are very good academic institutions, and 2) the prestige, when it come to future employment.

Having said that, a lot of people on TSR have this idea that where your uni is in the league tables is the absolute most important thing in your life BAR NOTHING, and these people are clearly morons.

It has been scientifically proven that there is a correlation between being at a high ranking university and having a large penis.

So basically everyone at Oxbridge is hung like a donkey. You heard it here first!
Reply 78
Original post by D.R.E
It has been scientifically proven that there is a correlation between being at a high ranking university and having a large penis.

So basically everyone at Oxbridge is hung like a donkey. You heard it here first!

Oh, and this of course. I can't believe I forgot the all important 3rd reason.
Original post by 1802ibrahim
Oxford and Cambridge are the world's oldest universities and they also rank amongst the world's best universities -- by going to either of the two your life is likely to change for the better if it is God's will.
You will get more job offers, better salaries and be a part of the creme de la creme... yet that is up to God.

You will have Mercs, Louis Vuittons, Cavier .... what more reasons do you want ???

Oh, shut up about God. People make their own fortune through hard work and a spot of luck, not through the will of some divine fairy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending