The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Khanage
All gyms get rammed over Jan, its standard with the resolutions and shizzle. Just ride it out, most will be gone by 4-6 weeks...

:yes:. It's the same with start of term too.
I love Pendlay Rows. 105 for 8 I think my best is.
Original post by cowsforsale
There were these 2 guys doing squats too. One must have been coaching the other. Must have heard the word "tight" being screamed every other second.

To be fair, just about everybody could do with a tighter setup when lifting...
Original post by The Blind Monk
To be fair, just about everybody could do with a tighter setup when lifting...

That's true. However, I don't think he understood what was meant by 'tight' :smile:
Couple of questions on creatine:

1) Is it worth having a loading phase (taking in 20g a day for 5-7 days or however much is good)?
2) Worth cycling creatine?

Bought 500g from MyProtein today. Never tried creatine before; fairly cheap but I also don't want to use up a lot on loading phase (unless very beneficial).
Original post by The Blind Monk
Ok, if for some very strange reason running that program would make you happy, go for it. It will work, but it is slower, less efficient and more likely to make you stall than something like Starting Strength or Greyskull Barbell's LP. You want a basic session to session linear progression on your lifts to ensure that you are getting stronger. Getting stronger matters for a very obvious reason. You are lifting weights to get a stimulus put on your muscles. This is the stimulus that will make them grow, which is presumably what you want. Unless your name is Flex Wheeler, you need more than 35lb dumbell curls to grow your arms to 18-19 inches. Or any semi-reasonable size for that matter.

This is not to say that you should be avoiding other lifts of learning how to lift to 'stimulate the muscle' etc. This is important if you wish to have a bodybuilder's physique. But this is majoring in the minors and is frankly unimportant. So stop spinning your wheels, get stronger and then worry about things like jettison curls, guillotine presses and the like. They're all good excercises but they are not what you need right now.

thanks a lot mate, I'll work on that :wink:
Original post by Michael XYZ
Couple of questions on creatine:

1) Is it worth having a loading phase (taking in 20g a day for 5-7 days or however much is good)?

The jury's still out but avoiding loading doses in favour of a constant dose of say 5-10g can result in less bloating and weight gain.

2) Worth cycling creatine?

Out of the supplements on sale at the moment it's probably the most 'proven'. You can expect to see some improvements in strength and endurance however don't expect miracles. Creatine mono is dirt cheap so you might as well try it for a couple of months.
Does anyone else hate barbell rows as much as I do?

Nope!

Original post by Brotherhood
I love Pendlay Rows.

Me too!

cows maybe you need to forego the perfect form to stick a bit more weight on the bar. I find heavy pendlays hit my lats hard and make me feel goooooood.
Also, my uni gym doesn't get that much busier in January usually. It's the start of first term that's the worst.
I find barbell rows useless for as an upper back exercise. I mainly feel them in my posterior chain. My lats grow enough from deadlifts.

My uni's gym is normally quite empty in January because everyone has exams. ****, I've only been to my uni's gym once in January and I can't remember there being much people there at all.

The second week after freshers is always the busiest because people have sobered up and realised that either their arms are too small to attract the club skanks or their bellies and arses are too flabby to attract the rugby players or the manwhores.
160 squat and 190 t bar deadlift tonight. Both PBs. Yeah budday!
Original post by Brotherhood
160 squat and 190 t bar deadlift tonight. Both PBs. Yeah budday!

Nice!

How does a trap bar compare to a straight bar?
Nice!

How does a trap bar compare to a straight bar?

Maybe like 10kg, for me personally anyway.
It's a lot more than normal dl , not sure on exact though
Okay real aims for the year.
100kg OHP
130kg Bench
180kg Squat
240kg Deadlift

Aiming high
Trap bar is very different to regular deads, more of a leg drive than regular deads - more of a leg exercise to be fair.
Yeah, really helped my squats.
I still much prefer straight bar. For some reason I can't balance on a t-bar?

And I dont know about your trap bar, but the ones i've used are smooth and so difficult to grip? Whilst a normal oly bar has knurling
Original post by MattGriff
Trap bar is very different to regular deads, more of a leg drive than regular deads - more of a leg exercise to be fair.

Your new profile pic. :yy:

Latest