The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
GR4pilot
Ok, stupid question I know but the OASC letter says bring 2 sets of sports gear. I take it that's one for the Fitness Test and one for the Hanger Ex? Just organising packing now and was about to put 2 pairs of shorts in when I realised that if one was for the Hanger Ex I'd need tracksuit bottoms and longtee/Rugby shirt as one set and running gear as the other.

Also when doing the Fitness test do you go down in shorts/tee or will have the opportunity to ditch the hoodie and trousers that I warm up in?

Stupid questions I know! 3 days till I go and I'm not worried about the interview or leadership stuff, but whether to take a hoodie or not is freaking me out! go figure?

Take the hoodie. Then you can change your mind once you're there after consulting others, you cant be wrong that way. You get quite warm doing all the hanger Ex stuff you might want to consider shorts and T shirt for under your overalls. Good Luck though hope it all goes well. Your very organised packing this early.
Reply 41
i took one pair of shorts and one t-shirt and they did me for the hanger exercises and the fitness test. But then again, i did my fitness test on the last day, right after the hanger exercises. As i think the fitness test is now in part one - maybe take 2 sets? you'll probably get warm like StaVix said so they'll be fine for the hanger. From what I remember you have to tuck the bottom of the demins they give you into your socks for the command tasks, so take at least some ankle socks - not those tiny trainer ones.
Reply 42
Yea, the letter does say that they must be ankle socks. Cheers guys.
GemmaLS...cheers for bringing the trainer socks up - Its useful to know; I would have just gone with trainer socks otherwise!

(I HATE wearing ankle socks with trainers and shorts....)
Reply 44
InaSpin
I HATE wearing ankle socks with trainers and shorts....

Just think how silly you'll look with the denims tucked in, ankle socks with shorts and trainers aren't really a 'look' at the moment but denims tucked in will be even worse! The other girl on my OASC brought in these thick, longish socks that could be bunched down to look thicker - when she tucked the denims in they looked OK.

At least we can all be safe in the knowledge that everyone looks silly in denims: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4363568.stm
That helmet Harry has on is well sexy, i'm very gutted we are not allowed to wear them at OASC...
Reply 46
mankyscot2
That helmet Harry has on is well sexy, i'm very gutted we are not allowed to wear them at OASC...

He only got that due to the Navy telling the army stories of albert trying to make it through training and selection :wink:
Reply 47
Mess code is one of the few things life in the UASs prepares you for at OASC! Not sure on the rules for the Candidates Mess (Been a few years since I was last there for UAS selection) but doesn't girlies hair have to be off the collar??? Correct me if I'm worng. I go up to OASC on 30th October, anyone else there then..?
KiwiMagic
Mess code is one of the few things life in the UASs prepares you for at OASC! Not sure on the rules for the Candidates Mess (Been a few years since I was last there for UAS selection) but doesn't girlies hair have to be off the collar??? Correct me if I'm worng. I go up to OASC on 30th October, anyone else there then..?

Generally any women affiliated with the RAF would be well advised to keep their hair above the collar when in the mess, and it is a must when in uniform. However it doesn't much apply to people at OASC as they are only going through selection and cannot possibly be able to know the rules and etiquette of the RAF. I wear my hair down all the time in the mess when I'm with Wzz, but I always wore it above the collar when I was on a UAS.
Oh definately above collar when in uniform or you will get a telling off as one girl on my UAS found out...
And not in some gash ponytail either!
Reply 50
KiwiMagic

Yes, i'm heading to OASC on Oct 30th as well... gonna be quite a trek from Belfast via Stansted!
Reply 51
Just another query about the clothing situation at OASC - I read in the booklet they sent to me that they provide dressing gowns for before the medical but you can bring your own - is it worth bringin your own or are the blue ones they have ok? thinking of space in my suitcase!!
The provide dressing gowns for the medical that are knee length. Why would you want to bring your own? If you are with 20 odd people and they are all in the blue RAF ones you'd look a bit of a tit in your own one. There is nothing wrong with their ones, if there was then they wouldn't have them. If you want to bring a dressing gown then it's up to you. You'll have to walk between your room and the bathroom but I found that a towel covered me up sufficiently.
Reply 53
BlackHawk
The provide dressing gowns for the medical that are knee length. Why would you want to bring your own? If you are with 20 odd people and they are all in the blue RAF ones you'd look a bit of a tit in your own one. There is nothing wrong with their ones, if there was then they wouldn't have them. If you want to bring a dressing gown then it's up to you. You'll have to walk between your room and the bathroom but I found that a towel covered me up sufficiently.

Thanks for that, only queried it cos it said in the booklet you could bring your own, and that the RAF ones may prove "embarassingly short" for taller individuals. Only 5 days to go before I head over to OASC now, so apologies if I'm asking daft questions
my advice if you were that tall would be to hunch and place your hands...conveniently :biggrin:
Reply 55
117 spartan
my advice if you were that tall would be to hunch and place your hands...conveniently :biggrin:

fair point, although now i think of it, 5ft 5 ain't really that tall - i just don't wanna forget something basic!!! :p:
kat5546
fair point, although now i think of it, 5ft 5 ain't really that tall - i just don't wanna forget something basic!!! :p:

I doubt you'll forget something basic! if you've chosen to be an officer you'll more than likely be able to dress yourself adequetly!
and at 5ft5 i would worry more about tripping over the hem than it being too short! :biggrin:
i'm sure you'll be fine and do well! good luck!!! try not to be too nervous and if you're gonna puke don't hit an officer
Reply 57
Just enjoy oasc, its not as bad as you think I completed oasc last week and I had a ball. The boarding officers are not there to trip you up. If you are not sure about something ask them.
Reply 58
reggie_boy
Just enjoy oasc, its not as bad as you think I completed oasc last week and I had a ball. The boarding officers are not there to trip you up. If you are not sure about something ask them.

I'm really looking forward to it - gonna do my best. If i'm 100% honest the thing I'm most worried about is getting there, but, worrying never achieved anything by itself!! Thanks guys.

Latest