The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

My friend has a house with Posh Pads, they haven't had any hassle with them as far as I'm aware.

I would highly recommend StudentNoFee though, particularly with there being 8 of you.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
stay away from tenant direct is all I can say to you.
Reply 3
Posh pads are definitely some of if not the most expensive landlords in southampton, but my impression from looking around their properties is you get what you pay for
If anyone wants an uber awesome landlord, Purewal's the man. Our bathroom light broke so we sent him a text late in the evening, he had come and fixed it before midday the next day. He only has about 8 properties though and I think he's based around Highfield.

Always ask the tenants (preferably when the landlord/estate agents aren't in the room) what the landlord is like. If we hadn't been told by one group that their landlord was awful, we would've probably gone with that place.
Reply 5
So I just heard that a lot of the good houses don't come out until February, but I thought it was always better to get houses sorted either before Christmas or right after the holidays. Doesn't the uni provide a list of houses somewhere too, or should we just look at things like StudentNoFee? Probably going to be 5 of us if that makes any difference.
Original post by temt91
So I just heard that a lot of the good houses don't come out until February, but I thought it was always better to get houses sorted either before Christmas or right after the holidays. Doesn't the uni provide a list of houses somewhere too, or should we just look at things like StudentNoFee? Probably going to be 5 of us if that makes any difference.

The uni provides a list of landlords with houses available who they have recommended. That's not to say that any other houses aren't good or that you can't go through an agency. Don't worry too much about houses now, have an idea of who you want to live with and start looking after christmas really. I don't know many people who have got their house sorted out before christmas unless they're staying in the same one and have resigned for it.
Original post by temt91

I bought a house from StudNoFee. Most of their good houses are gone for them.
Look at StudentListings. But i hear some houses come after xmas.
Reply 8
Posh Pads are over priced if you ask me, been round peoples houses who rent from Posh Pads and while the houses are quite nice they're nothing special and I have been in much nicer from other letting agents that are also cheaper.

Just watch out for houses with basement rooms, they're prone to condensation/damp. A surefire warning sign is a dehumidifier out and they're expensive to run.
Reply 9
I stayed in a Posh Pad for two years - they were great. On the few occasions something did go wrong they sent someone to deal with it immediately. I'm now working and can't believe I'm living in accommodation far inferior to what I stayed in as a student. If you get the chance - stay in a Posh Pad!
Reply 10
Stay well away from Posh Pads!!!

They truly are beyond awful. The houses are below standards for the price mostly, the one we are currently in is ok but again nothing special just the nicest we found for such a large group.

with regards to deposits, you will not get it back. And as it turns out, tend not to protect them as we thought ours was.

they are highly unprofessional and exceedingly rude.

I cannot stress enough how many problems we have encountered with them from day one. We certainly will not be renting off them again and our advise is again, stay as far away as possible.

they pretend to care to get their money, but couldn't care less really and it is clear that they do not value their tenants or customers in the slightest.
Original post by Frankles

with regards to deposits, you will not get it back. And as it turns out, tend not to protect them as we thought ours was.

I found out the other day that this is actually illegal. The landlord has a duty to protect your deposit and give you a written confirmation that it has been protected. You can take them to court if they haven't done either of those things.
Original post by Frankles
Stay well away from Posh Pads!!!

They truly are beyond awful. The houses are below standards for the price mostly, the one we are currently in is ok but again nothing special just the nicest we found for such a large group.

they are highly unprofessional and exceedingly rude.

I cannot stress enough how many problems we have encountered with them from day one. We certainly will not be renting off them again and our advise is again, stay as far away as possible.

they pretend to care to get their money, but couldn't care less really and it is clear that they do not value their tenants or customers in the slightest.

Hi Frankles,

Thank you for the compliment of being the nicest large house you saw, although I am sorry you feel the house is below standard, we feel that we provide high quality comfortable houses, if you are having any problems with your house at the moment please send an email to [email protected] and we will have them resolved.

All our deposits are protected by the MyDeposits scheme in under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement, if you wish to check these please contact us and we can provide you with your reference to check your deposit. Last year most people received their deposits back, not having a specific address or name I am unable to check yours.

I apologise if you feel any communications have been rude, although I believe my colleagues and I would not treat you with disregard. We provide all our contact details, including phone numbers, contractors, email addresses, etc to yourselves to ensure you are able to communicate with ourselves and prevent issues from occurring.

As I mentioned if you have any problems, or are having any problems, please call / email us and we will try to resolve them for you. We value all our tenants and try to build rapport to make your stay relaxed and enjoyable.

Original post by Rascacielos
I found out the other day that this is actually illegal. The landlord has a duty to protect your deposit and give you a written confirmation that it has been protected. You can take them to court if they haven't done either of those things.

As mentioned all of our deposits are protected, please get in touch and we can provide you with the code allowing you to check the total amount.

Kind Regards
Tristan Gordon

[email protected]
(edited 11 years ago)
Its quite early to be looking for a house now, although with the size of your group, I'm not sure how many private landlords have houses that large, maybe speak to the advice center for more details on that? The agencies charge a lot in fees and may pressure you into a getting a house (and this is not necessarily Posh Pads) that isn't that good.

You will be fine if you don't start looking till January which is when the sassh scheme kicks in (http://www.sassh.co.uk/). This is a list of private landlords (No agency fees!) is released, so all of the agencies like to try and get rid of all their houses before this list is released and you realises actually there are a lot of nice houses out there available for longer. I've seen so many people who signed up in the Christmas Rush (created by agencies, who if you've been getting them, are NOT allowed to put leaflets in Halls, they are NOT promoted by the uni, whereas the SASSH scheme is) who are now regretting it, slug problems, no hot water, unable to get anyone to come and sort the houses problems out etc. There is also the question of rushing into getting a house with people you may not know that well (I have a friend in Cardiff who has found she doesn't like most of her housemates that much). The university housing campaign has only begun now to try and prevent freshers from rushing into a house, the finding a house stuff doesn't start till January exams are finished! Please visit: http://www.susu.org/help-and-support/housing/2012/ for more advice.

I nearly got forced into getting a house last Christmas because they convinced the people I was going in with that it would be gone if they didn't get it now, I pulled out (to no consequence by the way, I'm still friends with them) and the house was still available in January. I got my actual house in March and pay £68 a week including bills and a friend of mine got her house in July (3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and is a genuinely lovely house) and pays around £70 a week (not including bills though).

If you decide to get a house now, please look at the SUSU website to get resources that will help (E.g. A checklist on what you need to look at and ask about) and try to ask the tenants (without the agent around) what its like living in the house, and find out more about the agency (e.g. google them and look at reviews. Also I believe Soton Tab had an article on them?). You can also get your contract checked for free by the advice center. Really you shouldn't be paying more than £100 for agency frees (if you do decide to go with them) and I've heard paying much more than £300 a month is higher than average, so only worth it if its a really big/nice room/house.

I hope this helps
But please, DON'T RUSH! and DON'T SETTLE! You have plenty of time!

Gee wonder where the neg came from :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Posh Pads have been a complete pain in the arse. Barged in with a crowd of students on viewings without any pre-warning on a number of occasions. Took months to get our boiler fixed and the leak above my bed. Stonewalling us on a deposit dispute--it implies in their literature that if you complain about unfair charges they'll add more on, and they have. About £350 more. Feel slightly bullied into paying for that £50 call out we never requested by all this. Staff are boorish, rude and condescending. They really don't care anymore than any other agency. The gardener that came included in the rent came once last year, in the week running up to viewings. So much other stuff. Managing Directors are complete pains "yar yar, I'll get that sorted. Sorry about that." then nothing done as usual. Just urgh. And we were paying way over the odds for a house without a sitting room.
Also, one off fee applies even if you're just renewing for another year, so its not quite as one-off as it may sound. It cost £375 for them to print off 5 contracts. I don't know how they kept a straight face. This includes VAT so they must be making £80k+ from admin fees alone. That's a pretty alright money spinner.
Reply 16
I have recently graduated and can safely say that one of the best places to go to is 'poswall lettings'. The landlord was quick to deal with any problems and his prices are very reasonable. I found posh pads to be quite expensive for what i was getting.

All the best
We are sorry that you were dissatisfied with your experience at Posh Pads. We started Posh Pads to try to provide the best housing and the best service. We are all ex-students and mostly from Southampton University.

I have looked carefully through our records for your house and there were no requests for plumber visits since the 1st January. However, you will recall that your house is one of the very few with a Sani-flo system. As you know this system blocks easily when any sanitary products are placed into it. Your house was generally very good at ensuring this was avoided but you will remember that occasionally you or maybe your guests ended up blocking the loo. This was what caused the leak above your bed. Although it was repaired quickly we always have to wait for it to dry before re-decorating.

If there were other plumbing issues you were welcome to call out the plumber yourself. We have no record of receiving any further plumbing issues from you.
We always try our best to notify tenants of viewings. You were always very polite when we entered the house. It is always a good policy to raise any issues as they occur.

In regards to your deposit disputes, if you feel you have been overcharged, please do let us know. You will recall that there was an enormous amount of smoking which went on inside the rooms of your house. This was strictly against the terms of the contract and unfortunately as you were in the house for two years many of the walls were left with smoking stains. We did the bare minimum in terms of redecoration so we kept those costs down substantially. This was why we ended up still managing to return most of your deposits. You may decide to smoke in the garden in your next house!

The gardeners work on a 4 week rota. So properly the gardeners should have attended your house about once a month although it is less in the winter when the grass does not grow so quickly. Again we have no record of you mentioning this to us in the two years you were at the property and it is difficult to put it right after the event but thank you for bringing it to our attention and we will look into this.

Unfortunately the Administration fees are not just for printing off the contracts we wish they were. Years ago that would have been the case which is why Landlords and Agents never used to charge these fees. However today all the new legislation places a heavy cost on operating any let property. All houses have to be registered with Environmental Health and the Council levy a huge fee to do so. All deposits have to be protected with a Government scheme. The Scheme charges a substantial fee for this. Records have to be very carefully maintained for all aspects of professional lettings. This all costs a lot of money. Today there are many more regulations designed primarily for your protection. All this protection is expensive. That is where the Administration fees go.
I hope this helps. However by all means write to us directly at Posh Pads to discuss any specific concerns. We wish you all the best for the future.

Kind Regards,
Tristan Gordon

Marketing and New Business Manager
[email protected]
I know this comment is probably of little help to you now but it might help other students in the future.

I would recommend finding an alternative agent to Posh Pads. They managed to leave one of the bedroom doors unlocked for 5 days after they had shown prospective tenants around for the next year. Because I had gone home for the weekend I had no chance to return to re-lock the door.

When I returned it was obvious someone had stayed in the room and some damage had been caused. Despite contacting Posh Pads and making them aware of this. They proceeded to charge me for the damage at the end of the tenancy.

I will make it clear here that they have disputed my comments.

I would recommend finding another agent.
Spin.

The persistent leak above the bed was caused by an unsealed shower. It was not repaired quickly. The sani-flo did not leak onto my bed and was dealt with very swiftly, thank you.

It's unsurprising that you can't find any emails when one of your lads couldn't locate an email I'd sent 6 days before.

We were were polite when you entered. We were aware that some of the students may have traveled a distance to see the house and weren't keen on turning them away. However, we did call the office several times after they'd left and pull the viewings guy aside to ask you to stop it. I felt that this was the fairest way to go about it. You were very apologetic.

"Enourmous amount of smoking" = Out of the back door in one room, we've agreed without question to pay for the painting of that room. "Minimum redecoration" = painting the whole house.

When there are several people saying they never saw the gardeners, why can't you just accept that something might not be right? Why do you feel the need to deflect and get defensive. You run a business and you're getting plenty of constructive feedback. I don't even think you're a particularly bad company, it's just obvious that there are problems with communication and a few members of staff seemingly since Kasia left. In the first year at Cedar Rd, everything was pretty alright, but these last two have been far from good.

The only reason these issues have been raised publicly is due to the fact that my emails were not being responded to in a timely fashion. And when they were all I received were familiar denials and threats of court action.

Latest

Trending

Trending